Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southgate

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've said before on previous threads that GP is the wrong fit for England. He needs time to work with players to get his methods across, and thats one thing you don't get.
England don't have a style of football, just a lot of good individuals. A decent man motivator would be better, who would need to work out how to get the best out of the players he has. Or picking players who's teams play a similar style to try and get them to gel

He's the wrong fit for England because (at the moment) he has his entire top flight managerial career ahead of him and the England job is professional suicide.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Exactly. I've said it before on here that he's done SO much good for England. All the off-field stuff, the mental health, the anti-racism, etc has been brilliant. He removed the toxic relationship between the fans and the players. Before Southgate the overriding view of England players was that they were a bunch of overpaid, overrated prima-donnas who didn't give a toss. Under Southgate there has definitely been a feeling that they're 'our' team again.

Getting the background right did lead to massive improvement on the pitch; even with all the usual caveats the fact remains he got us to a semi-final and then a final of two successive tournaments. However he is simply not a very good manager when it comes down to football matches, he can be easily out-thought as Mancini proved in the Euros. He's got to stay for the World Cup though, and who knows, maybe he's learnt a few lessons from these matches and with fresher players the World Cup isn't (yet) a write-off.

Couldn't agree more with yours and Mcflys post. Southgates reign has had positives - especially off the field - but a decent coach would have seen out the Italy and Croatia games. There is little doubt in my mind that we would have beaten Italy if the managers had been reversed. For all those that say "Yeah but he got us to a semi and a final" forget the quality of players at his disposal. He's not done much better than Sven who had Trevor Sinclair and Danny Mills on the left against Brazil.

Sack him now. He will only get sacked after the World Cup anyway when we dissapoint.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Couldn't agree more with yours and Mcflys post. Southgates reign has had positives - especially off the field - but a decent coach would have seen out the Italy and Croatia games. There is little doubt in my mind that we would have beaten Italy if the managers had been reversed. For all those that say "Yeah but he got us to a semi and a final" forget the quality of players at his disposal. He's not done much better than Sven who had Trevor Sinclair and Danny Mills on the left against Brazil.

Sack him now. He will only get sacked after the World Cup anyway when we dissapoint.

And what if we don't to badly? What if these Nations League games really are just dressed up friendlies at the end of a grueling season with knackered players?

When you say "the quality players at his disposal", do you mean (for the WC in 2018) such world beating titans as Jesse Lingard, Delle Alli, Ashley Young, Eric Dier, Phil Jones, Fabian Delph, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Harry Maguire? Sure, we had Kane and Sterling, but I cannot get the absolute arrogance or England fans sometimes.Croatia fielded a team with Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Perisic and Mandzukic. We overachieved in 2018, and don't have a divine right to beat anyone.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Much like Potters terrible runs with us, the biggest problem is lack of goals and lack of good chances. But I’m fairly relaxed, I was at the inaugural Nations League finals in Portugal when England didn’t win a game (but did win the penalty shootout for 3rd place) - we then went to a World Cup semi final and then Euros final.

Ultimately there was some experimentation with the side - which given everyone wanted to get rid of pointless friendlies is obviously an issue when you have to do it in more competitive fixtures.

I do think he needs to go 5 at the back now as defensively we look all over the place

Ps - this team is no better than previous ‘golden generations’ in fact I’d say they are not quite as full of talent as those teams were

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Southgate will get grace due to him being a puppet for the controversial issues and seen to say the right thing.

No panics yet , judge him on major tournaments and he's over achieving there.

If totally flops at WC then change it but we'll do ok I'm sure

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don’t think I’d judge him on sending out a bunch of knackered kids for a game that was no more than a worthless practice match. Not sure how many people bothered watching it but I certainly didn’t. Judge him by the proper competitions - so far he hasn’t let anyone down in that respect.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Gsouth will get a new shiny waste coat and we'll bounce back . . .drab draw with Italy, beat Germany with a penalty after a Kane dive . . get to the world cup finals and limp to the 1/4 finals. Usual stuff.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And what if we don't to badly? What if these Nations League games really are just dressed up friendlies at the end of a grueling season with knackered players?

When you say "the quality players at his disposal", do you mean (for the WC in 2018) such world beating titans as Jesse Lingard, Delle Alli, Ashley Young, Eric Dier, Phil Jones, Fabian Delph, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Harry Maguire? Sure, we had Kane and Sterling, but I cannot get the absolute arrogance or England fans sometimes.Croatia fielded a team with Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Perisic and Mandzukic. We overachieved in 2018, and don't have a divine right to beat anyone.

Ill give you that, but we didnt last year - It was based in England for us and we did the same thing against an aging Italy side, scored early, sat back and got out coached.

I am not sure he even knows his best 11

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ill give you that, but we didnt last year - It was based in England for us and we did the same thing against an aging Italy side, scored early, sat back and got out coached.

I am not sure he even knows his best 11

Actually, if there is a problem it's the fact that he does have a rigid best 11 whereas the best managers don't. Your best 11 is the one best set up to beat the team in front of you, and it's never the same team. When fit, I still probably expect England to be:

Pickford
Trippier, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Phillips, Rice
Mount/Saka, Kane, Sterling

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If Potter did get the job, can you imagine trying to guess his team selections?

It’s difficult enough when he only has 25 to choose from, it would be impossible if he had over 300 plus to pick from.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Exactly. I've said it before on here that he's done SO much good for England. All the off-field stuff, the mental health, the anti-racism, etc has been brilliant. He removed the toxic relationship between the fans and the players. Before Southgate the overriding view of England players was that they were a bunch of overpaid, overrated prima-donnas who didn't give a toss. Under Southgate there has definitely been a feeling that they're 'our' team again.

Getting the background right did lead to massive improvement on the pitch; even with all the usual caveats the fact remains he got us to a semi-final and then a final of two successive tournaments. However he is simply not a very good manager when it comes down to football matches, he can be easily out-thought as Mancini proved in the Euros. He's got to stay for the World Cup though, and who knows, maybe he's learnt a few lessons from these matches and with fresher players the World Cup isn't (yet) a write-off.

Great post. It encapsulates what I feel about Southgate and England and says it far better and more eloquently than I managed in a dozen posts over the past week or so.:clap2:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
IMG_5059.JPG

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Shirley Harry Redknapp is the obvious choice

Get Razor Ruddock and Pearce as the able lieutenants and we will piss it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports