Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southgate

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Haven't watched England for years. Boring football from a collection of boring players working under a boring manager.

Unfortunately Potter is just the sort of manager that would flourish in international football in my opinion as its all about getting the best out of the players you have and coming up with tactical solutions. Hope he stays away from that poisoned chalice however

I couldn't disagree more. Potters methods take a LONG time to implement before they start to bear fruit, as we have all seen for ourselves. Quite how he would manage that when he's only meeting up with the squad briefly every few months ? Nah, its not going to work. And he's not got the track record to fall back on when our elite PL players look at him and think "Graham who ?" Southgate is far from Mourinho, but he did spend his entire career playing in the PL and has 60-odd caps for England. Potter had a couple of games for Southampton, before spending the rest of his career at York and Macclesfield.

GP needs the day-to-day contact with his players. Being England manager you're basically just a glorified scout, with 3-4 sessions a year to work with the players. That ain't Potter.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Amen to this.

I’m also not sure Potter would be that good an England manager! Blessed with natural bad luck (which would kill him in the inevitable penalty shoot outs.

'Natural bad luck'? Is that a thing? What utter nonsense.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
You don't know what your doing ? Stones offski

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Agreed. For all the plaudits Southgate has received, I have always been mindful of his considerably less successful spell as manger of Middlesbrough. He is undoubtedly cerebral, fair-minded, good with the players, and willing to learn from other sports. But, and it is a big but, he is too risk averse IMO. His managership in 3 key games - Croatia, Italy, and Poland away - was wanting. He needed change far earlier in all 3 games (in fact, ANY change in Warsaw).

It might just be a bad series of games that any team can experience but I have a feeling that his aversion to risk will be found out in November.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I get the impression that Southgate has been good at improving the England setup- ie what goes on off the football pitch- the organisation, logistics, keeping the players happy etc. I think he suits that sort of operational / PR role. He talks the talk.

On the pitch the football is poor - lacks killer instinct and fight. All a bit toothless. Awful to watch. And he remains loyal to players on poor form which he categorically said he would not do when he started. As a coach, I don’t think he’s got it.

He’s had his time so it’s just a case of whether he goes now or he is given a chance to run though a turgid tournament performance in November / December, and then goes. The FA lack balls so I’m pretty sure it will be the latter.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He is a Pal@rse manager say no more. Ok Duffy isnt England material currently but he has been and shouldve been a regular. Southgate is as bad as the wally with the brolly

Think Shane bring Irish might have been a slight issue there.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Isn’t this thread a bit of an over reaction ? These were just irrelevant friendlies branded as something else to try to make money. The England set up deserves the criticism it’s getting because they are a part of the whole tawdry system. However the actual results were irrelevant. I didn’t watch and only found out the score five minutes ago. No-one cares.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Isn’t this thread a bit of an over reaction ? These were just irrelevant friendlies branded as something else to try to make money. The England set up deserves the criticism it’s getting because they are a part of the whole tawdry system. However the actual results were irrelevant. I didn’t watch and only found out the score five minutes ago. No-one cares.

The quality of Hungary’s goals last night put me in mind of the rout by Burnley at the Amex. It made the performance look much worse than it was. It also made me realise why Ramsdale is not as good as I thought he might be.

We have to hold the nerve and stick with Southgate too :wink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bad day at the office, irrelevant tourno, move on, who cares, roll on WC...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I get the impression that Southgate has been good at improving the England setup- ie what goes on off the football pitch- the organisation, logistics, keeping the players happy etc. I think he suits that sort of operational / PR role. He talks the talk.

On the pitch the football is poor - lacks killer instinct and fight. All a bit toothless. Awful to watch. And he remains loyal to players on poor form which he categorically said he would not do when he started. As a coach, I don’t think he’s got it.

Exactly. I've said it before on here that he's done SO much good for England. All the off-field stuff, the mental health, the anti-racism, etc has been brilliant. He removed the toxic relationship between the fans and the players. Before Southgate the overriding view of England players was that they were a bunch of overpaid, overrated prima-donnas who didn't give a toss. Under Southgate there has definitely been a feeling that they're 'our' team again.

Getting the background right did lead to massive improvement on the pitch; even with all the usual caveats the fact remains he got us to a semi-final and then a final of two successive tournaments. However he is simply not a very good manager when it comes down to football matches, he can be easily out-thought as Mancini proved in the Euros. He's got to stay for the World Cup though, and who knows, maybe he's learnt a few lessons from these matches and with fresher players the World Cup isn't (yet) a write-off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being proper shitehouse now ain't gonna stop the 'Southgate Out'ers throwing beer around like the #twats that they are, in 6 months time.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
The Elephant Hospital program on channel 4 was good last night, why do people want to watch a team full of individuals, with no clear match plan or tactics, managed by a FA 'YES' man. Gave up being interested in England years ago when I realised that I was not getting excited or angry when watching, like I do with the Albion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter1

How soon is now?
I've said before on previous threads that GP is the wrong fit for England. He needs time to work with players to get his methods across, and thats one thing you don't get.
England don't have a style of football, just a lot of good individuals. A decent man motivator would be better, who would need to work out how to get the best out of the players he has. Or picking players who's teams play a similar style to try and get them to gel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here