Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

southgate why not

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If Southgates on the radar we may as well resign Barry Out as manager again. the guys about as useless as a chocolate teapot.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm not sure about Southgate - the one thing I do know though is that I'd prefer him as manager a million times more than Wise

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The club is being run like Grace Brothers so they may as well make John Inman manager.

at least the poisonus dwarf has sent a club in the right direction up the table rather than down.

Personally would prefer Paolo di Canio or Ossie Ardiles but think the chairman will play safe being a bit green. Well totally green and nieve imo.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
i think he might be OK, but really has no experience of the lower leagues. bit of a risk, probably try to play "nice" football and not really get anywhere. Coach/Assistant material rather than Manager for us methinks.

what's wrong with playing 'nice' football? surely you haven't been enjoying the guff we've been playing over the past 2 seasons? league 1 football has moved on a bit, it tends to be the passing teams who do well.

i think southgate would be a good option. he lost his way at boro last season. but they did okay in his first proper season in charge - his aim was to create a sort of arsenal of the north east. he tried to create a smooth passing team stocked with players from the acadamy who all could play a bit. he wanted to entertain. he also placed an emphasis on local players to help create a strong bond between the players and the fans. i think he played 11 players from the acadamy in one game, with the majority of that 11 born in or around boro (poor sods!). i think the idea was to augment that local talent with a few top-class signings (like tuncey who's a class act in my opinion). loads of good players have come through the boro acadamy in recent years - downing, wheater, cattermole, adam johnson etc

not sure why but i think he compromised those principles a bit and wasted money on some seriously duff players last season and started to play very defensively to try and stop the rot.

a lot of that might sound familiar - i think wilkins was going for something similar during his tenure with the healthy mix of local lads and wise signings - like nicky forster.

i would love another manger who placed an emphasis on local talent and passing football - i don't know why anybody wouldn't want that for their club?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what's wrong with playing 'nice' football?

bit of selective reading there: "... and not really get anywhere". I'd love nice football, i would just wonder if a top flight player, whos proabbly a bit of a nice guy, would get the right mentality out of players when things didnt go right results wise. nice football in league 1 will often lead to getting the crap kicked out of you and no result. (although this is becoming less true, with more good football being plated down the leagues)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Stout defence of southgate, les, but a manager has to be able to execute. However laudable the dream, he has to be able to cause it to happen.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
His management style and record speak for themselfs. he could not do it at Boro even with money. so would not want him here.

However he one thing going for him.
He is a Pistols fan :wink:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Wasn't he given a special dispensation by the Premier League to continue managing while he did not have the required coaching qualification? If so, did he ever actually get it? Either way, I'm not mad on the thought of him as an appointment. Nice chap but he has done nothing to suggest that he would bring anything significant to the club.

Now here's a thought. Some years ago I was living in Delhi. While I was there the Indian Football Federation appointed a Brit named Stephen Constantine as the national coach. He had previously taken Nepal to their best ranking. He's moved here there and everywhere since and became the national coach for Sudan earlier this year. The guy is qualified to the hilt and is one of the only guys in the country to hold the top UEFA coaching qualification: the Pro Licence.

I got to meet him one evening and we were having a bit of a chat. He was teetotal and wafer thin. He was very big on the physical fitness aspect of the game. He told me that he had applied for just about every position going in the UK, including applications for Brighton more than once. Despite having every qualification going he never even seemed to get so much as an interview. It seemed that as he had no playing pedigree he was not hooked up to the "Old Boys Network".

Why is it that we seem to have a managerial merry go round, where the same faces simply seem to swap seats? Logically, if a manager spectacularly fails they should be removed from the list and make way for new blood. For example, how on Earth did John Barnes ever manage to get the Tranmere job?

I'd just like to see us think a little differently for once and appoint somebody with the qualifications to do the job regardless of whether or not they are a big "name".

Stephen Constantine, Sudan National Team Head Coach, UEFA PRO Licence holder, USSF C Licence, USSF A Licence

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
His management style and record speak for themselfs. he could not do it at Boro even with money. so would not want him here.

However he one thing going for him.
He is a Pistols fan :wink:

'even with money' - not poor sure, but hardly loaded by premiership terms.

Its tough in that division, you can have the twenty best managers in the world but one of them will still finish bottom.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wasn't he given a special dispensation by the Premier League to continue managing while he did not have the required coaching qualification? If so, did he ever actually get it? Either way, I'm not mad on the thought of him as an appointment. Nice chap but he has done nothing to suggest that he would bring anything significant to the club.

Now here's a thought. Some years ago I was living in Delhi. While I was there the Indian Football Federation appointed a Brit named Stephen Constantine as the national coach. He had previously taken Nepal to their best ranking. He's moved here there and everywhere since and became the national coach for Sudan earlier this year. The guy is qualified to the hilt and is one of the only guys in the country to hold the top UEFA coaching qualification: the Pro Licence.

I got to meet him one evening and we were having a bit of a chat. He was teetotal and wafer thin. He was very big on the physical fitness aspect of the game. He told me that he had applied for just about every position going in the UK, including applications for Brighton more than once. Despite having every qualification going he never even seemed to get so much as an interview. It seemed that as he had no playing pedigree he was not hooked up to the "Old Boys Network".

Why is it that we seem to have a managerial merry go round, where the same faces simply seem to swap seats? Logically, if a manager spectacularly fails they should be removed from the list and make way for new blood. For example, how on Earth did John Barnes ever manage to get the Tranmere job?

I'd just like to see us think a little differently for once and appoint somebody with the qualifications to do the job regardless of whether or not they are a big "name".

Stephen Constantine, Sudan National Team Head Coach, UEFA PRO Licence holder, USSF C Licence, USSF A Licence

Said a similar thing with regards to Stuart Baxter a few days back, I think a British manager who has done good things abroad and has got all the qualifications would be a good shout. Didn't do Gary Johnson any harm and Roy Hodgson had to go abroad to get a look in and he ain't exactly done bad

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Stout defence of southgate, les, but a manager has to be able to execute. However laudable the dream, he has to be able to cause it to happen.

i guess southgate would say he did execute his plan during his first proper season, with some success too. things went downhill after that though.

perhaps things went wrong becuase he decided to ditch his homegrown players for expensive imports, who turned out to be duds.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I actually think he could turn into a pretty decent manager.

Id prefer a bit of flair like Poyet though.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Southgate probably wouldn't come here anyway........another waiting for a Prem or Chumpianship job.

Will it be another baldy like the bloke at Gillingham ?

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
What has he done in management!He was fortunate at Boro that they have an excellent chairman who gave him a chance that he f***ed up.If my memory serves me right he played for Palace and he missed a crucial penalty playing for our country, other than that he wasn`t a bad player but he is not the man for us.

Bit of a stupid comment really. What difference does it make to his management crudetials just because he played for Palace and missed a penalty for England.:shrug:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

A good shout I think - if enough of us email him (stephenconstantine@yahoo.co.uk), maybe he'd throw his hat in the ring?!!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The way I would look at is that Southgate is intelligent and got on pretty well with the supporters at Bro. That was a pretty high pressure job which he handled with composure and I believe he was required to sell players and operate on a restricted budget in the latter stages. The team were doing well in the Championship this season, which is not always the case following relegation.

I feel his personality would assist in dealing with the influences within the club (maybe Lloyd for example) and also that he is a man of honour. So therefore if the club do well and he has a contract, he will keep to it and not move on to other challenges.

The difficulty is of course I am sure he will want to come to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here