southgate why not

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
why are so many posters on here against garath southgate being next albion boss,copple was my first choice but now he dont want the job, curbishly possible looking at a premier or championship job,southgate is possibly the next best available,unless we get somebody who is still in a job and look to pay them compo.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
why are so many posters on here against garath southgate being next albion boss,copple was my first choice but now he dont want the job, curbishly possible looking at a premier or championship job,southgate is possibly the next best available,unless we get somebody who is still in a job and look to pay them compo.

I think he could be successfull with us but I think there is a certain risk factor. Would also depend on who he could get in to assist him and as coach, I bet he has some pretty decent contacts in the game.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
What has he done in management!He was fortunate at Boro that they have an excellent chairman who gave him a chance that he f***ed up.If my memory serves me right he played for Palace and he missed a crucial penalty playing for our country, other than that he wasn`t a bad player but he is not the man for us.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If Southgate took charge we would become the most boring club in League One

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Errr... what qualities and track record does he have?

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
why are so many posters on here against garath southgate being next albion boss

Because, clearly, a lot of people on here haven't got a fuckin' clue but like the sound of their own voice.

If we land Southgate, we will arguably have one of the best managers in League 1 and the Championship (when we get there)...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He has only worked with big budgets and we lack these at the moment, we don't pay £1m plus for players.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Because, clearly, a lot of people on here haven't got a fuckin' clue but like the sound of their own voice.

If we land Southgate, we will arguably have one of the best managers in League 1 and the Championship (when we get there)...

Has he ever managed a lower league club before?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The millions and millions of pounds he spent on players who are barely Championship standard don't fill me with much confidence.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think Southgate would be a great shout, recent experience of top flight and, albiet briefly, championship, recently qualified so fully up to date with latest techniques, former international footballer and part-time pizza ad actor ... perfect.

I'd be fully behind the appointment

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think he might be OK, but really has no experience of the lower leagues. bit of a risk, probably try to play "nice" football and not really get anywhere. Coach/Assistant material rather than Manager for us methinks.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Some of the names being branded about fill me with Dread.
Southgate doesn't but he is still unproven and his lack of L1 experience would worry me

Halcyon

Who let the Doug out?
Jul 22, 2008
Teesside
Because after another one of boro's defeats, he looked bewildered in the interview and said something along the lines of 'not being able to fault the effort of the players' - bit like the fake mickey Adams we had this time round. Not the character we need to get us out of this mess.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
God no, did you ever watch Boro under him? Managed to take McClarens semi decent team spent a few quid and make them worse until they got relegated. We can do a lot better just because he played for England and has managed in the Premiership doesn't mean he is a good coach/manager

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
He has had one job and f***ed it up so why does anyone think he could be good for us? Just because you have heard of someone does not make them a good manager. Some people seem to think any link with the premiership equals success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports