Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Rant time.
My Daughter travels regularly between Brighton, Cardiff and back. Monday she was verbally attacked by a guard somewhere around the Chichester area for being on 'the wrong train for her ticket'. He threatened to take her ticket and put her off the train at the next stop. She managed to keep her ticket but was evicted from the train and made to wait an hour for the correct train. It was 12:00 so it was not pre peak time, just the wrong train. Her explanation was that she always arrives at Brighton an hour early because the correct train is probably cancelled.
Right now she is on her way back. Changed as usual at Fratton and told there are no trains to Brighton, correct tickets or not. Sent to Havant to get a conection but guess what, no trains from Havant for 90 minutes, correct ticket or not. If I could get my hands on that first guard I'd like to throw him off the train, whilst it's still moving.
Rant over.

was this a Southern train do you know? I've had the same crap about being on the wrong train (same area as it happens), but 1st time guard just said watch out for the revenue protection and the 2nd time the guard just said you're on the wrong train and walked off when I said I'd miss my connection if I caught the right train

albionite

May 20, 2009
was this a Southern train do you know? I've had the same crap about being on the wrong train (same area as it happens), but 1st time guard just said watch out for the revenue protection and the 2nd time the guard just said you're on the wrong train and walked off when I said I'd miss my connection if I caught the right train
How it should be but as in all walks of life you will get jobsworths.
This will happen more often with the new obs role, as the company will make more money instead of it going to the government .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Who shut the doors? When I started commuting in the early 90s, the passengers did. Usually as the train was already moving (we'd occasionally even end up swinging on the door as we tried to get on), typically with a fat purple-faced bloke in an ill-fitting BR uniform shouting 'stand away' and furiously blowing his whistle.

Oh yes, was much safer back in the days of conductors on every train :-D

Actually that was somebody else's question. When answering I somehow messed up the 'reply with quote' function. Yes I remember it well. In fact we had slam door trains on my local Surrey line (where I lived at the time) at least until the early part of this century. Electrically operated doors may be safer day to day but I think I preferred the ability in the old days to get out of a train in a crisis (or a power cut).[/QUOTE]

I've had trouble with the quote function on Tapatalk........other good thing about the slam doors is you could chase a departed train down the platform and jump on :)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Actually that was somebody else's question. When answering I somehow messed up the 'reply with quote' function. Yes I remember it well. In fact we had slam door trains on my local Surrey line (where I lived at the time) at least until the early part of this century. Electrically operated doors may be safer day to day but I think I preferred the ability in the old days to get out of a train in a crisis (or a power cut).

I've had trouble with the quote function on Tapatalk........other good thing about the slam doors is you could chase a departed train down the platform and jump on :)[/QUOTE]

Or fall under the train and lose your legs, ever seen that happen to somebody ? I have and it is not a pretty sight

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Rant time.
My Daughter travels regularly between Brighton, Cardiff and back. Monday she was verbally attacked by a guard somewhere around the Chichester area for being on 'the wrong train for her ticket'. He threatened to take her ticket and put her off the train at the next stop. She managed to keep her ticket but was evicted from the train and made to wait an hour for the correct train. It was 12:00 so it was not pre peak time, just the wrong train. Her explanation was that she always arrives at Brighton an hour early because the correct train is probably cancelled.
Right now she is on her way back. Changed as usual at Fratton and told there are no trains to Brighton, correct tickets or not. Sent to Havant to get a conection but guess what, no trains from Havant for 90 minutes, correct ticket or not. If I could get my hands on that first guard I'd like to throw him off the train, whilst it's still moving.
Rant over.

It's probably his turn to phone in sick.....
Taking the responsibility of closing the doors will help the stress of the job.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've had trouble with the quote function on Tapatalk........other good thing about the slam doors is you could chase a departed train down the platform and jump on :)

Or fall under the train and lose your legs, ever seen that happen to somebody ? I have and it is not a pretty sight[/QUOTE]

Saw a few close shaves but nothing like that..........incredible we were using slam door trains not that long ago.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Or fall under the train and lose your legs, ever seen that happen to somebody ? I have and it is not a pretty sight

I remember that happening at my local station, I didn't see it but saw the aftermath. And saw the young woman concerned going to work in her wheelchair a few months later.

I've also been on a train where the door opened (not quite sure whether it was by accident or some bloke being a prat) as the train was belting along: the bloke fell out and was grabbed by the guy next to him as he halfway out the door - it was like something out of a film. It was Christmas Eve too - that was an early Christmas present

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
What was the ticket she held ?

A ticket from a to b !! Ok it was probably supposed to be on a certain time train, but if they have a history of being cancelled, how can a guard have the balls to throw her off a train ? It's disgusting !!

Us customers have been ****ed about for ages now, what right does some jobsworth have to throw a girl and a disabled child off a train because their ticket isn't valid on the train for an already disrupted service ?

Scum

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here