Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southend goals

Yoda

English & European
An Kuipers is upset if beaten full stop. If he'd been further over to his near post there would have been more of the goal on his far post for Eastwood to aim and score at. I expect you'd still moan if that had happened. :rolleyes:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yoda said:
An Kuipers is upset if beaten full stop. If he'd been further over to his near post there would have been more of the goal on his far post for Eastwood to aim and score at. I expect you'd still moan if that had happened. :rolleyes:

Not really, no but at least Hendo is back in the frame so Kuipers knows another game like that and he will be out.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Stumpy Tim said:
Got to agree with m20 here LI. It is very well known in football that you NEVER make a defensive sub at a corner. It is BASIC football management... never ever ever, unless a player is unable even to take a post. This is nothing about stating the obvious in hindsight. I don't doubt that bringing Guy on for Reidy was the right sub to make, but you simply don't make such a sub at a corner.

But as you say, the fact that we came so close to beating Southend is also down to Wilkins & the players and they deserve the credit. I'm sure Wilkins is man enough to take the praise he deserves for the performance & the flak for making a substitution at the wrong time

Correct, Correct and Correct. You Sir, go to the top of the class.

Whatever the arguments for and against bringing Butters on, and however right it is to look through the retroscope and claim it was the right move at that crucial juncture etc. etc. the result stands.

Overall the Albion looked competitive and confident against superior opposition, but mucking around with the formation when Southend seemed to be having corner after corner parried...well.

Southend fans had it about right. 1 nil up, you f***ed it up! ad infinitum

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yoda said:
But had it been the other way around and McGhee was still in charge, he'd be thinking 'He kept us in the game until those last few minutes, that's good enough for him to keep his spot'

I agree up to a point, but Henderson certainly wasn't afforded the same generosity on here after the Crewe game, in which he was magnificent behind a shite defence, aside from one mistake.

If we're applying the harsher standard, Hendo should be brought back after Kuipers' sub-standard performance; if we go with the more forgiving one, he never should have lost his place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here