Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Soulless

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
...got a decent noise at 'Udders :whistle:

xmas-drummer-smiley-emoticon.gif sound-off-part-deux-west-texas-weekly-FQSCd1-clipart-300x210.png

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Which is my point. I used to love going to withdean.

It felt like we were in a small, select, shitty, club. No one wanted to play us, we were in the open air and I honestly had my best ever football moments playing at the theatre of shit. The away fans far off in their segregated little stand with no view, the thunder of the south stand when we pounded our shoes on it, the truly terrible burgers, the pub in the middle of the stand. Harty, Russell slade, Nicky Forster, Guy Butters Adam el Abd, Tiny Cox....ah, memories.

I we had no plastic fans, no friends and no hope.i suppose it's better now. But. God. We've lost our soul and our beating heart.

The chips were good though. Remember that New Year's Day match against B'muff with both of us absolutely hanging?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Let's remember that until Roman's money, Chelsea were not really a big club. Certainly only third behind Arsenal and Spurs in London, - just look at their attendances in the early 80's (12k and 13k averages in 82 and 83)

I feel sorry for their real fans, and they do have some, who have been priced out of going by tourists and middle class families who sit in silence until they score.

Money talks I'm afraid.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Let's remember that until Roman's money, Chelsea were not really a big club. Certainly only third behind Arsenal and Spurs in London, - just look at their attendances in the early 80's (12k and 13k averages in 82 and 83)

That's not painting a true picture though. They were in Div 2 when they dipped that low. A better comparison would be in 1985 when they were in the top flight and averaging 23k crowds compared with Spurs on 28k and Arsenal on 31k. Not too bad considering that Arsenal and Spurs were winning major trophies around that time and had some big name players whereas Chelsea had won sod all since their Cup Winners Cup in 71 and their star players were Dixon, Nevin and Speedie.

Chelsea has always been a big club albeit a very badly run one. Historically they were smaller than Arsenal and Tottenham but that didn't make them a small club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be fair the atmosphere at the Amex is excellent in certain places. I am lucky to have a great atmosphere in the part of WSU I am in.

Perhaps some need to swap out of their low atmosphere locations if they require more ? ???

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I didn't think Old Trafford was too bad considering but then again I was measuring it against West Ham and Arsenal. I didn't go yesterday but have been to Stamford Bridge loads in the past. 20 years ago, for better or worse, it was definitely a ground where there was an edge, with a core working-class fan base and plenty of noise.

Old Trafford was terrible.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
To be fair the atmosphere at the Amex is excellent in certain places. I am lucky to have a great atmosphere in the part of WSU I am in.

Perhaps some need to swap out of their low atmosphere locations if they require more ? ???

Excellent. :lolol:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I feel sorry for their real fans, and they do have some, who have been priced out of going by tourists and middle class families who sit in silence until they score.

Money talks I'm afraid.

Yep. At best the third team in London, like Tranmere in Liverpool or say Bury in Manchester. It’s all about the money for them

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I liked Stamford Bridge as a ground, its been developed but still holds some charachter. I was in the lower tier and there was also plenty of room in the concourse at half time and was easy to get a pint.

As others have been saying though the flags around the upper tier with names of different places is just sad, there is even a Hastings one. No wonder football is so expensive now adays, the amount of stewards around the ground, and lining up in front of us as Chelsea scored is just ridiculous.

Much preffered it to the Emirates and the Tax payers stadium.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I wonder if it was just because it was Brighton? I.e. not a top game, and the one that fans might be prepared to swerve and thus free up places for tourists. I've been to Stamford Bridge several times over the past decade and the atmosphere was always pretty good: all four stands singing and different songs for most players.

Oh, and a lot of Chelsea fans have used 'The Chels' as a sort of jokey nickname for years, a bit like Arsenal use 'Goonar'. It's not a marketing invention.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Looked like a shopping centre from outside

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I’ve been to a few Chelsea games over the years as have family that support them and even got given a season ticket once through work (which I used about four times) when I lived in London. Stamford Bridge is actually pretty good for big games, it’s far louder and more raucous than the Emirates, for example.

How loud is the Amex when we play Burton Albion and we’re having an average season? People seem to expect little old Brighton to go and play a big club away and for their fans to be bang up for it. Why would they be? Are ours, in a similar situation? Not at all.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
SB back in the 80s was a noisy, intimidating and sometimes scary place to be. I hadn't been since so Tuesday was a bit of a shock.

I used to live next door for a while back in early 70s (with my Aunt & Uncle in Sir Oswald Stoll Mansions; a home for retired armed services). I bet their Xmas party was louder and had more atmosphere than SB.

If we stay up, I hope and pray that we don't end up going the same way. But I fear we probably will.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I used to go to most games there in the late 70’s, early 80’s. Don’t remember there being big crowds but I do remember some serious mentalists.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
SB back in the 80s was a noisy, intimidating and sometimes scary place to be. I hadn't been since so Tuesday was a bit of a shock.

I used to live next door for a while back in early 70s (with my Aunt & Uncle in Sir Oswald Stoll Mansions; a home for retired armed services). I bet their Xmas party was louder and had more atmosphere than SB.

If we stay up, I hope and pray that we don't end up going the same way. But I fear we probably will.

The die has already been cast, the mass exodus of the Amex at 85 mins when only leading by a solitary goal. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here