Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sort the catering out please. its farcical

el punal

Just a thought - the main reasons for the delay (and inevitable queues) are having to pour pints and dealing with cash transactions. How about, 'elf and safety permitting, that a kiosk is dedicated to serving CANS only of various beers, ciders etc. (yes I know that we have a stall selling plastic Fosters bottles). Or/and have a system of transaction using vouchers which can be purchased away from the catering kiosks. These vouchers can be in denominations of 50p for example.

Oh, and yes, have staff TRAINED in actually being competent in doing the job that they are paid to do.

el punal

No Maltesers in the 1901. They were the only confection that could have got me through the second half with any degree of mental equilibrium but do I come on here moaning about it? No, instead, I have bombarded to club with emails, torn up my season ticket and chained myself to the club shop.

I sincerely hope you purchased the chain in the club shop to increase revenue. :lolol:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Girl in dicks couldn't work out how much 3 pints cost

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Just a thought - the main reasons for the delay (and inevitable queues) are having to pour pints and dealing with cash transactions. How about, 'elf and safety permitting, that a kiosk is dedicated to serving CANS only of various beers, ciders etc. (yes I know that we have a stall selling plastic Fosters bottles). Or/and have a system of transaction using vouchers which can be purchased away from the catering kiosks. These vouchers can be in denominations of 50p for example.

Oh, and yes, have staff TRAINED in actually being competent in doing the job that they are paid to do.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who's life ambition is to work in the food outlets at the Amex on matchday.

Ever considered that the majority of staff there are from the Uni, and that they will only be there during term time and that most will only be in the area whilst studying for their degree. Once they finish, they leave the area again so this means that staff turnover will be very high and that they will be having to train new members of staff frequently. Maybe there are less staff at the game yesterday because they are having difficulty recruiting the numbers they needed or staff are away.

Have you also considered that they will get nothing extra for serving quicker. They get paid the same if they serve 15 or 500 at half time and who is going to rush like mad to try to get everyone served if all it means is you have to work harder than those near you for the same money?

Dealing with cash isn't that much slower than using an e-cash card.

How do they know how many pints to pour? they don't want to pour 100 and sell just 20 at half time do they? - the same with pies, how many do you cook?

A lot of waste could lead to losing money as without a doubt, staffing costs are going to be high given the short time they have to work and that they still get paid but have no customers whilst the match is being paid. You may be able to serve everyone, but would you if it meant employing so many staff that it cost you money?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved in a short space of time when demand is always going to outstrip the ability to supply and it would be unprofitable to increase outlets and staffing to try to meet that extra demand (ie, employ somone for 3 to 4 hours just to meet a demand that lasts for 15 minutes at half time & no-one would just take a job to work for half time as their costs of getting there are probably going to be higher than their earnings)

Maybe fans expectations need to be reduced to realistic levels rather than blaming everyone else.

Fair enough but properly trained staff would certainly help ! If the guy selling the products doesn't know what a snickers looks like, there would appear to be a problem here?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Fair enough but properly trained staff would certainly help ! If the guy selling the products doesn't know what a snickers looks like, there would appear to be a problem here?

Well if it's not knowing what a snickers looks like, then it's probably not obesity

Probably a new member of staff who has just started at the uni, and still learning the role (it can be stressful working in retail, especially when faced with so many people wanting to get served quickly and casuse this sort of response too)

el punal

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who's life ambition is to work in the food outlets at the Amex on matchday.

Ever considered that the majority of staff there are from the Uni, and that they will only be there during term time and that most will only be in the area whilst studying for their degree. Once they finish, they leave the area again so this means that staff turnover will be very high and that they will be having to train new members of staff frequently. Maybe there are less staff at the game yesterday because they are having difficulty recruiting the numbers they needed or staff are away.

Have you also considered that they will get nothing extra for serving quicker. They get paid the same if they serve 15 or 500 at half time and who is going to rush like mad to try to get everyone served if all it means is you have to work harder than those near you for the same money?

Dealing with cash isn't that much slower than using an e-cash card.

How do they know how many pints to pour? they don't want to pour 100 and sell just 20 at half time do they? - the same with pies, how many do you cook?

A lot of waste could lead to losing money as without a doubt, staffing costs are going to be high given the short time they have to work and that they still get paid but have no customers whilst the match is being paid. You may be able to serve everyone, but would you if it meant employing so many staff that it cost you money?

I think that you slightly miss my point. I am NOT criticising the staff, students or whoever is serving. My point was aimed at those people that manage them. If you employ staff and do not train them to the standards required of course you are going to end up with problems, as described by many posters. When I describe being competent it is not meant in a derogatory term but,simply, are they ABLE to do what is required of them.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
East Upper and no queues at all. Went back for a second pint. Had a chat with the guys behind till who had nothing to do. They all said the biggest complaint is 'can you top my Harveys up to the top please'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think that you slightly miss my point. I am NOT criticising the staff, students or whoever is serving. My point was aimed at those people that manage them. If you employ staff and do not train them to the standards required of course you are going to end up with problems, as described by many posters. When I describe being competent it is not meant in a derogatory term but,simply, are they ABLE to do what is required of them.

The bar staff at Brighton racecourse always know what they are doing. I know they also work at Fontwell and probably elsewhere also. There's also, obviously, hundreds of bars in town, some of who's bar staff might well enjoy earning a bit of extra money on their days off. Feel pretty sorry for the kids being drafted into the front line for their first taste of bar work. Can you imagine what it must be like, maybe not having English as your first language, being faced with a sea of punters all wanting stuff you've never heard of. Must be absolutely terrifying. As you say, the fault lies squarely with the managers. They should be employing experienced staff who can cope. Doubtless would cost more, but they'd pay for themselves many times over with the increased sales. It's a no-brainer really.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Think yourselves lucky. I checked my ecard balance and transactions this morning and see I was charged £7.40 for a packet of crisps at half time. Still I got 74p back for my 10% discount! Think I will check my receipt a bit closer next time.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Agency people serving who Dont know What they are doing and done
care.Massive queues in the Upper West making it impossible to get served . Get permanente staff and manage it yourselves . Bloke who served me yesterday did not know What a snickers bar looked like. Why Is nt it as good as the first year ? Why Dont you want to sell us stuff quickly and efficiently . Poor and unprofessional . Has anyone else any thoughts on how we might improve things ?

1 Go to Lidl, for the price of one snicker or twix at the amex you can buy a packet.

2 Take them with you to the ground.

3 Wait until half time and then eat one.

4 Offer the rest around to the people sitting near you.

If you forget one week, someone will likely return the favour.

Please note the same trick works for tea and coffee in flasks.

Watch the queues speed up when you don't have to wait for people to choose their sweets.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Think yourselves lucky. I checked my ecard balance and transactions this morning and see I was charged £7.40 for a packet of crisps at half time. Still I got 74p back for my 10% discount! Think I will check my receipt a bit closer next time.
This would make so angry!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I now go to 99p stores and buy 2 x Diet Pepsi for 99p rather than pay £2 each, perhaps if others followed suit and stopped buying at The Amex if not happy things may improve. You are only there for 2 hours a or so and then perhaps the club will take note and bring about improvements. PB did say at a recent forum at Mid Sussex Seagulls that the problems are due to having to employ casual staff only 25 times a season.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
My sister got charged £18 for a burger and diet coke before they eventually got the right price on the till. The girl serving my husband never poured a pint before! It is a shambles I feel sorry for them as they are learning on the job obviously not had a training prior which is poor.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here