Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs inspired by true events

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
American Pie - Don Maclean
For What it’s Worth - Buffalo Springfield

and this cracker by one of the best musical wordsmiths of the 20th Century, he paints such great pictures with his lyrics - based on historical facts and Sir Thomas Moore. Still not idea why he refers to Henry V111 as Henry Plantagenet though

....and one more from Al Stewart -

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda is about the WW1 Gallipolli campaign from an Australian perspective.

From a British perspective my Great grandfather had a close shave, suviving the sinking of the HMS Hythe troopship (Google it). His son took a bullet in his shoulder in the trenches during that war, fortunately both survived or I wouldn't be writing this.

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Kevin Carter was a photojournalist who took photos of often brutal situations - apartheid at it's most raw, executions, war. He took this photo which won him the pulitzer prize. (Warning: it's a grim photo of an emaciated child, collapsed on the floor with a vulture stalking them)

Kevin-Carter-Child-Vulture-Sudan.jpg

It won him the pulitzer prize for photography. He took his own life four months after receiving the award.

I did not know that ... horrific

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A song about a gang of teenagers from Murray, Kentucky, known as the "Vampire Clan"
who committed murders that inspired several films as well
The Vampire Murders
Kentucky Teenage Vampires

The Legendary Shack Shakers - Blood on the bluegrass

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
....one of my favourite ACDC songs

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The great and massively underated post-rock band iLIKETRAiNS base all their songs on historical events. Particularly love this, about the Scott Antarctic expedition:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The great and massively underated post-rock band iLIKETRAiNS base all their songs on historical events. Particularly love this, about the Scott Antarctic expedition:

I was a roadie at one of their gigs as a reward for putting in some money into a film about them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here