Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something America is really good at

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Do you know why grinds my years about yanks?

If there is one hint of Irish ancestory, they're immediately Irish...

Is it just me who find their desperate desire to be Irish amusing? Not exactly a badge of honour.

And the other one is those who claim to be Sicilian because their great great uncle's second cousin once passed through there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They said about a week, from last Thursday, so it can't be too far away.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
So...ghenghis khan, pharaoh xerxes and Hirohito were all Europeans?

..three people compared to how many Europeans? I know there are others but that's just playing devils advocate.
The Europeans Caucasians are historically and inherently more invasive as a race than any other.

Where are the Mongols, the Egyptians and Japanese found elsewhere in the world as a result of their invasiveness?

The entire American continent is inhabited by People with European ancestry and until the last 70 years a good size of the
African American population was there only because the Europeans bought them in as slaves.

The entire American continent is inhabited by People with European ancestry and until the last 70 years a good size of the
African American population was there only because the Europeans bought them in as slaves.
On that basis, most Irish Americans are there only because the English drove them out of Ireland during the famine. Victims, not perpetrators of slavery, shirley?

Personally, I find these arguments a bit confusing. As a "European", am I responsible for slavery? As a descendant of Irish immigrants into Scotland in the 1840s, am I a victim of English neglect of Ireland? As a descendant of Yorkshire Catholics (way back to the sixteenth century), am I a victim of protestant persecution? (Or is that something I can claim from the Irish ancestry?) As a descendant of ironworkers from the Black Country, should I be a Wolverhampton Wanderers supporter?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
..three people compared to how many Europeans?
I don't think those 3 people worked alone.
The Europeans Caucasians are historically and inherently more invasive as a race than any other.

Where are the Mongols, the Egyptians and Japanese found elsewhere in the world as a result of their invasiveness?
The Mongols invaded Europe, as well as anywhere else they could get to. The Egyptians had their fun earlier, when global travel was less easy. It's not like any invading force stops for chivalric reasons. And to suggest Europeans are more invasive as a race is just ill-educated and racist.

On that basis, most Irish Americans are there only because the English drove them out of Ireland during the famine. Victims, not perpetrators of slavery, shirley?

Personally, I find these arguments a bit confusing. As a "European", am I responsible for slavery? As a descendant of Irish immigrants into Scotland in the 1840s, am I a victim of English neglect of Ireland? As a descendant of Yorkshire Catholics (way back to the sixteenth century), am I a victim of protestant persecution? (Or is that something I can claim from the Irish ancestry?) As a descendant of ironworkers from the Black Country, should I be a Wolverhampton Wanderers supporter?
Don't forget that your ancestors were almost certainly slaves to the Romans.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
..three people compared to how many Europeans? I know there are others but that's just playing devils advocate.

That's a geographical consequence rather than a culturally based one. Europe is very small compared to the other continents. A lot of people in a small area will lead to far more territorial disputes.

Plenty of European cultures have disappeared due to this lack of adequate lands.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Here we go again with this 'Racist' anti American claptrap...when are people going to realise that there are good and bad people of all races...race has nothing to do with it.A lot of people on here are probably related to Americans through the past...too belittle them because they have 'no history'...is that their fault. Americans are a collection of all different races...as are we. Some will scream 'Racist' at anyone who utters a remark against anyone because of their African descent...yet the same people come out with anti Americanisms...is that not racism ? Does'nt matter which way you cut it...if it was not for America and their industries we would've be under the jackboot...Their contribution to the World War was immense...study history with an open mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was blowing a gale yesterday. Hopefully it's not been blown half the way back!

You're going to have to post it onto @icelandseagull just so it can clock up 30,000 miles!!

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Always winning a works series when they are the only nation taking part the Americans are good at that

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Here we go again with this 'Racist' anti American claptrap...when are people going to realise that there are good and bad people of all races...race has nothing to do with it.A lot of people on here are probably related to Americans through the past...too belittle them because they have 'no history'...is that their fault. Americans are a collection of all different races...as are we. Some will scream 'Racist' at anyone who utters a remark against anyone because of their African descent...yet the same people come out with anti Americanisms...is that not racism ? Does'nt matter which way you cut it...if it was not for America and their industries we would've be under the jackboot...Their contribution to the World War was immense...study history with an open mind.

Interesting. Surely Americans are not a race unless you are referring to the native Indians. So maybe we can be xenophobic towards Americans but not racist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here