Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Someone has hit my car, uninsured should I accept cash? advice please......

D

Deleted User X18H

You are obliged to report any incident to your insurance company. You are not obliged to submit a claim. If your insurance company became aware this had not been reported you will be in contravention of the condition that you agree to report all accidents. If you do not report the accident to protect an uninsured driver then technically you are attempting to pervert the course of justice. In the extremely unlikely event of your insurance company finding out, you will find it very difficult to obtain anything other than extortionate rates in future.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
if my neighbour reversed into my car and wasn't insured and offered to pay for it, I'd let him. Who knows, it could be me next time!
So you are prepared to compound a criminal offence of driving when not insured, and are admitting that you may not be insured when driving - it should NEVER be you next time. What happens if your uninsured neighbour hits me the next day after you have agreed your cosy little conspiracy to defraud the public?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did you miss the first part "In that i was moving albeit at walking pace, yes" it includes the word yes, not no. ???
I wasn't trying to suggest you disagreed, I was just saying that no matter how one sided your claim, you were involved.

We'll just have to confirm this with insurers.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
So you are prepared to compound a criminal offence of driving when not insured, and are admitting that you may not be insured when driving - it should NEVER be you next time. What happens if your uninsured neighbour hits me the next day after you have agreed your cosy little conspiracy to defraud the public?

No, I am FULLY INSURED FULLY COMP ON BOTH MY CARS. When I said it might be me next time, I meant I might make a stupid mistake somewhere along the line and hope for a little forgiveness. If he's a total wanker then by all means stitch him up and he deserves everything he gets!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We'll just have to confirm this with insurers.
Right, I've just spoken to my insurer (I just renewed my breakdown cover), so I asked them. They said:

If the person that hits your vehicle pays cash to fix it, you don't even need to tell us about it.
If the person that hits your vehicle uses their insurance to fix your car, you need to tell us, but it won't affect your premium. I said that I had heard that premiums go up after a couple of non fault claims, and all they could do was say that it wouldn't with them.

So...
1) Get proof of the accident
2) Take the cash

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
If this chaps boss is letting him drive a truck uninsured then he will be in some serious shit. All employers are legally required to have a driving policy in place and make sure it is adhered to.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
at the end of the day he should not have been driving it with no insurance, tough s~~T on him i say claim on the insurance i am sure your cover, must cover you against uninsured drivers make him pay the excess or tell him you will inform the police.

lewesgull

Jan 3, 2010
technically you should report all incidents although in reality as long as the person who hit you doesn't turn around and say you hit them and try to claim from your insurers, they are not going to care.

as for how you deal with this, if the man honours his word and pays for your repair, job done.

if he doesn't or wants as often happens you to go to his choice of garage (and your not happy with them) then if you are fully comp go to your own insurers, they will find out if he is insured on the owners policy or if his own policy, assuming he has one allows him to drive vehicles he doesn't own on a third party basis.

If neither cover him then the insurers of the vehicle have to accept to deal with the claim and then have a right of recovery against the owner and/or driver (ultimately it is the owners responsibility to ensure whoever the allow to drive their car is on their policy or has their own insurance). This obligation is part of the road traffic act. They may to the letter of the law ask you or your own insurers to first obtain an unsatisfied judgement though before they pay it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
at the end of the day he should not have been driving it with no insurance, tough s~~T on him i say claim on the insurance i am sure your cover, must cover you against uninsured drivers make him pay the excess or tell him you will inform the police.

Its not only the excess though is it, unless you have your NCD protected you will lose a wedge of it.

Report to police IMO

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
YOU are obliged,by standard terms in YOUR contract with YOUR insurance company,to notify YOUR insurance company of ANY and ALL collisions regardless of party at fault,EVEN if no actual damage happened.This is so they are able to protect their position with regard to disputed liability,your word against him a couple of weeks down the line.
If you fail to notify your insurance company that you had this collision and they find out it happened they can declare your insurance invalid.
Leaving YOU to pick up the bill when this geezer fails to pay up.

Basically,agreeing to keep the insurance company out of it leaves you at risk of being stiffed by him and uninsured by your policy,he gets away with it and YOU take all the risk.

Some people attract risk,they are unlucky but statistically if you get hit often you are a greater risk so you should pay more to cover that risk.if you park your car in a private drive you chance of being hit is lower than if you park on the roadside of a narrow sidestreet.

That's all well and good but why the hell should YOUR premium go up because someone hit YOU ? An idiot hit me from behind last year when I was at a roundabout - admitted liability straight away - and yet my premium at renewal went up nearly 30%. I told Elephant to shove it and got a quote that actually took my insurance down. Strangely Elephant offered to match the new quote but to be honest, if they can't be bothered to offer me the cheapest offer FIRST time then they can swivel.

Insurance companies belong in the cesspool with estate agents, property lawyers and recruitment agents. They are nothing short of conmen.

To the OP - give the bloke a chance - if he doesn't come good then make a claim.

D

Deleted member 22389

That's all well and good but why the hell should YOUR premium go up because someone hit YOU ? An idiot hit me from behind last year when I was at a roundabout - admitted liability straight away - and yet my premium at renewal went up nearly 30%. I told Elephant to shove it and got a quote that actually took my insurance down. Strangely Elephant offered to match the new quote but to be honest, if they can't be bothered to offer me the cheapest offer FIRST time then they can swivel.

Insurance companies belong in the cesspool with estate agents, property lawyers and recruitment agents. They are nothing short of conmen.

To the OP - give the bloke a chance - if he doesn't come good then make a claim.

Insurance companies belong in the cesspool with estate agents, property lawyers and recruitment agents. They are nothing short of conmen. I completely agree with you there. You also forgot No Win No Fee solicitors as well.

Looking forward to when this country starts making things again, and get some respect back for Engineering in this country. Times are changing.

D

Deleted User X18H

Right, I've just spoken to my insurer (I just renewed my breakdown cover), so I asked them. They said:

If the person that hits your vehicle pays cash to fix it, you don't even need to tell us about it.
If the person that hits your vehicle uses their insurance to fix your car, you need to tell us, but it won't affect your premium. I said that I had heard that premiums go up after a couple of non fault claims, and all they could do was say that it wouldn't with them.

So...
1) Get proof of the accident
2) Take the cash

They are assuming the both parties are insured. No insurance would condone settling outside of policy terms and conditions if one of the parties involved was uninsured.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
take cash, accept apology, shake hands, move on - its like a bunch of goody school kids on here sometimes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They are assuming the both parties are insured. No insurance would condone settling outside of policy terms and conditions if one of the parties involved was uninsured.
No they aren't. They're not assuming anything, they're saying they don't need to know. Maybe it was in a field, maybe or private land. If it was on public roads and someone wasn't insured, that's a matter for the police. If someone pays for your damage, the insurance company is happy.

You're guessing whereas my insurance company told me.

D

Deleted User X18H

No they aren't. They're not assuming anything, they're saying they don't need to know. Maybe it was in a field, maybe or private land. If it was on public roads and someone wasn't insured, that's a matter for the police. If someone pays for your damage, the insurance company is happy.

Rubbish!

D

Deleted User X18H

What's rubbish?
You need at least TP on private land. You will not be the only person to have access to suggested private land. What if you injure a poacher or someone lost on an orienteering expedition? You are STILL liable insured or not. On Private Land or not.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
One was getting knocked off a motorcycle and the other was parked/stationary in a car and being hit.
As i said in the original post, it does not sound right, and its not, i argued with several companies & brokers until i was blue in the face, but all insurance companies work in the same way, any reason to increase premiums they will.
Wouldn't be so bad if only some of them adopted this policy, then you can go to the ones that don't, but was told by all that i spoke to it was standard policy for all insurance companies.

If you have been involved in a non fault accident in the last 3 years, or know of someone who has, ask the insurer if the current premiums are loaded because of the non fault accident.

Or check it yourself, using gocompare or confused etc get a quote with your details, then add a non fault accident to the quote ans see if the premium rises.

I have been involved in a non-fault accident last year our premium never went up in fact it was cheaper, so not sure what happened your end.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You need at least TP on private land. You will not be the only person to have access to suggested private land. What if you injure a poacher or someone lost on an orienteering expedition? You are STILL liable insured or not. On Private Land or not.
What's that got to do with the price of eggs?

The point is, you (eg the OP) have insurance, your car is parked, someone hits it, and pays you in cash. My insurance company has said if that happened to me I wouldn't need to tell them. What is rubbish about that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here