Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Someone has hit my car, uninsured should I accept cash? advice please......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you report it to your insurance company your premium will rise next year.
Although you are not at fault, because you have been involved in an accident you will be deemed a "higher risk".

I know this sounds absurd, because it is, but that's the fact.
I speak from actual experience from being hit twice it successive years. Both time the other part and insurance accepted liability but because i had been involved in the accident i was deemed as a higher risk for being involved in a (non fault) accident.
This doesn't sound right. Your premiums rose because you were involved in the incidents. You were in the car. He was not, his car was parked.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Although you are not at fault, because you have been involved in an accident you will be deemed a "higher risk".

I speak from actual experience from being hit twice it successive years. Both time the other part and insurance accepted liability but because i had been involved in the accident i was deemed as a higher risk for being involved in a (non fault) accident.
Even though i have max protected no claims bonus it made no difference as the premium rose because of two idiots who it me.

If you report it to your insurance, which it the correct thing to do you may find you will have to sue him to get the money for the repairs as he will probally withdraw his offer.
Tricky one i know.

Your premiums will rise in part because the experience of an insurer is that somebody who is involved in a no fault accident is more likely to be involved in an at fault accident - or so I understand. But tell your insurer, use the legal expenses cover to recover your uninsured costs.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store

Even though i have max protected no claims bonus it made no difference as the premium rose because of two idiots who it me.

If you report it to your insurance, which it the correct thing to do you may find you will have to sue him to get the money for the repairs as he will probally withdraw his offer.
Tricky one i know.
this is correct,this happened to me few years back, my premium went up following year,but when i phoned them and kicked off it did eventually get lowered thankfully, but was hard work on phone as they only wanna see it one way

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Tricky one i know.

This is all true (we have had this debate before haven't we PS) I think it boils down to the actual wording on the policy and whether it states accident or claim - You never had an accident (he did) as you were not in the car and if you don't make a claim it shouldn't affect your insurance - yes its a play on words but so is what is on your policy or what the questions were for the quote and its that that counts.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This doesn't sound right. Your premiums rose because you were involved in the incidents. You were in the car. He was not, his car was parked.

One was getting knocked off a motorcycle and the other was parked/stationary in a car and being hit.
As i said in the original post, it does not sound right, and its not, i argued with several companies & brokers until i was blue in the face, but all insurance companies work in the same way, any reason to increase premiums they will.
Wouldn't be so bad if only some of them adopted this policy, then you can go to the ones that don't, but was told by all that i spoke to it was standard policy for all insurance companies.

If you have been involved in a non fault accident in the last 3 years, or know of someone who has, ask the insurer if the current premiums are loaded because of the non fault accident.

Or check it yourself, using gocompare or confused etc get a quote with your details, then add a non fault accident to the quote ans see if the premium rises.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Might've already been said but do note that if you speak to your insurance company EVEN IF YOU DO NOT PROCEED TO MAKE A CLAIM they will count it as if you had.

Daft but, from experience, that is the way the insurance companies work.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One was getting knocked off a motorcycle
Sounds like you were involved in that. If my wife crashes the car, and I'm asked if I've been involved in an accident, I say no, because I haven't been. If someone crashes into my parked car and I'm asked if I've been involved in an accident, I say no, because I haven't.

As i said in the original post, it does not sound right, and its not, i argued with several companies & brokers until i was blue in the face, but all insurance companies work in the same way, any reason to increase premiums they will.
I know what you said. I think you're wrong ;)

DanielT

definitely your premiums WILL go up if you claim, even when it's not your fault. got hit by a bus, they were at fault, and my premium was £100 more the next year, and no doubt each year for the 5 years I need to declare it

there is someone on NSC who is a broker and can confirm for you. I can ask him to PM you if you wish

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Is it not ILLEGAL to drive without insurance?
So should the guy not be punished or something? Like points or a ban and a fine?

It is, but the police will not follow it up, even if the guy had called the police advising he had been hit by an uninsured driver they would not have attended the scene unless there were injuries requiring medical attention.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If my wife crashes the car, and I'm asked if I've been involved in an accident, I say no, because I haven't been. If someone crashes into my parked car and I'm asked if I've been involved in an accident, I say no, because I haven't.

Again it depend on the policy wording, You could find yourself uninsured if you needed to make a further claim, I understand your sentiments, which i actually agree with, but the insurance company employ expensive people to find ways of not paying out may not agree and state you have made false statements and render your policy invalid and not payout , they you would have go to court and let the judge decide if your play on words are legal, a lot of hassle in my opinion.

I would get a quote as soon as you can then go round there for the money as soon as you can.

If you involve insurance it goes down as a previous claim even if they didnt pay out or anything. Insurance companies are scum. My mate reported a break in to his insurance co but then rang back saying he would rather sort it out himself than pay the excess plus lose his no claims. Then when he renewed his insurance it was still a mark on his record - still a claim made but not followed through.
Interesting choice of words! jokes aside I'll second this comment

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like you were involved in that.

In that i was moving albeit at walking pace, yes but has he hit the rear of the bike and was arrested for careless and reckless driving i was mearly a "passenger" in the events and had not involvement apart from being hit !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Again it depend on the policy wording, You could find yourself uninsured if you needed to make a further claim, I understand your sentiments
Not really, and it's not about sentiments, it's about law. If they ask me if I was involved in any incidents, I'm allowed to say no. They couldn't claim I was. They'd have to ask if my car was involved in any incidents.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In that i was moving albeit at walking pace, yes but has he hit the rear of the bike and was arrested for careless and reckless driving i was mearly a "passenger" in the events and had not involvement apart from being hit !
Were you involved in the incident, yes or no = yes.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Depends on the guy IMO, of he's a genuine bloke, friendly, appologetic etc then maybe give him a chance? Mistakes are made and times are hard right now. I'm not condoning bad behaviour or responsibility when it comes to driving laws etc, if my neighbour reversed into my car and wasn't insured and offered to pay for it, I'd let him. Who knows, it could be me next time!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you don't report this to your insurance company and they later discover what happened, could they then cancel your cover because you were in breach of contract and leave you uninsured. Report the damage to your insurance company, even if you don't have tomake a claim. If they increase your premium next year you can argue the toss but at least you have protected your own position.

Agreeing to a cash settlement from a criminal who is driving without insurance is not in your best interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here