Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some people need to take a chill pill

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I guess this depends on how far you want to stretch your definition.

My chosen definition stretch makes me more Australian than you. :lolol::lolol:

What is your stretch that makes me not Australian?

You were born in another country, you don't have a long lineage of family in this nation and your accent is not native.

You probably even support another nation in sports events :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You were born in another country, you don't have a long lineage of family in this nation and your accent is not native.

You probably even support another nation in sports events :lolol:

You are Australian by accident of birth, absolutely no say in it.

I made the choice to live here and become Australian.

BTW none of your stretched definition precludes me from being an Australian. (I will let my brother inlaw know though, he was born in London to Maurician parents and has lived in Melbourne since he was about 1 - Not Austraian according to you though? So glad you don't work in immigration).

Your stretched definition is highly flawed. mine, however, shows that I am clearly more Australian than you :lolol::lolol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You are Australian by accident of birth, absolutely no say in it.

I made the choice to live here and become Australian.

BTW none of your stretched definition precludes me from being an Australian. (I will let my brother inlaw know though, he was born in London to Maurician parents and has lived in Melbourne since he was about 1 - Not Austraian according to you though? So glad you don't work in immigration).

Your stretched definition is highly flawed. mine, however, shows that I am clearly more Australian than you :lolol::lolol:

Using your definition you're more Australian than Aboriginals then.

That's how ridiculous your definition is :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Using your definition you're more Australian than Aboriginals then.

That's how ridiculous your definition is :lolol:

Bingo!

That is how ridiculous all definitions are when you stretch them to suit your own agenda.

You may choose to think that I am not Australian but by many (non-ridiculous) definitions, I am.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Except you're English though.

:lolol::lolol:

All depends on your chosen defintions cobber.

One thing I have certainly noticed since I became an Australian is how many of my newfound fellow countryfolk are struggling with their national identity.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
:lolol::lolol:

All depends on your chosen defintions cobber.

One thing I have certainly noticed since I became an Australian is how many of my newfound fellow countryfolk are struggling with their national identity.

Are they?

Only people I see with that issue are the soft cock lefties and they are held in rather low esteem.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Are they?

Only people I see with that issue are the soft cock lefties and they are held in rather low esteem.

A bit of a left turn in the discussion here but are you say that left-leaning folk are generally held in low esteem?

May I ask what barometer you are using to decide this?

The reason I ask is that our state have a Labour government at the moment. Our electoral division of Corio has had a Labour MP since 1967.

So I would suggest that a majority of Australians hold the left in reasonably high esteem. Well a high enough esteem to vote for them.

I guess it comes back to those definitions again.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
A bit of a left turn in the discussion here but are you say that left-leaning folk are generally held in low esteem?

May I ask what barometer you are using to decide this?

Well the self loathers tend to be of that persuasion. The education system no doubt has more than a few of them which is why you might have the impression you do.

In my job I deal with a lot of people from all walks of life and from all over the state. You tend to get a better gauge of what the regular folk are thinking over the twitterati views in the media.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well the self loathers tend to be of that persuasion. The education system no doubt has more than a few of them which is why you might have the impression you do.

In my job I deal with a lot of people from all walks of life and from all over the state. You tend to get a better gauge of what the regular folk are thinking over the twitterati views in the media.

So you are taking the folk that you encounter in your job and life as a better gauge than those I encounter in my job and life (which you really have no idea about - so you can't know.)

Perhaps the proof of this claim could be found in cold hard facts?

I refer you back to the voting habits of the electorate and state that you and I live in (sorry I added them in an edit).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So you are taking the folk that you encounter in your job and life as a better gauge than those I encounter in my job and life (which you really have no idea about - so you can't know.)

So you're travelling all over the state in your job then?

Perhaps the proof of this claim could be found in cold hard facts?

I refer you back to the voting habits of the electorate and state that you and I live in (sorry I added them in an edit).

We live in an Authoritarian state that has a piece of shit leader that shits on anyone outside of Melbourne. Surely you don't vote for that utter **** of a thing?

If you are that says a lot about you as a person.

Inner city Melbourne politics is infested with some of the most ridiculous ****wits on the planet. Plenty of your self loathers there. That's where the bulk of the morons who are offended by pronouns or lack of are found.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So you're travelling all over the state in your job then?

We live in an Authoritarian state that has a piece of shit leader that shits on anyone outside of Melbourne. Surely you don't vote for that utter **** of a thing?

If you are that says a lot about you as a person.

Inner city Melbourne politics is infested with some of the most ridiculous ****wits on the planet. Plenty of your self loathers there. That's where the bulk of the morons who are offended by pronouns or lack of are found.

Your claim was that the left is held in rather low esteem.

Clearly, they are by you and I have to accept your experience that they are also held in low esteem by the people you encounter.

I have to wonder about this claim though because (and you need to put your personal opinions about the 'Authoritarian State' etc aside) the very fact that we have a Labour state government means that a huge number of voters do not hold them in low esteem. It also suggests that a large portion of the state are also of the left (I guess that your self-loathing jibe means that you think they hold themselves in low esteem?).

Add to this that (correct me if I am wrong) you live somewhere in the Corio electorate? Which has had a Labour MP sitting since the mid-1960's.this again suggests that the left are not held in low esteem around here. Infact the majority of people hold them in a high enough esteem to vote for them above the Liberals.

We could add into this the other states - Victoria, Queensland, ACT and NT are all Labour at the moment.

Apart from your own bias and prejudice (based on your experience), do you actually have any data that backs up your suggestion that the left are held in low esteem?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Clearly, they are by you and I have to accept your experience that they are also held in low esteem by the people you encounter.

I have to wonder about this claim though because (and you need to put your personal opinions about the 'Authoritarian State' etc aside) the very fact that we have a Labour state government means that a huge number of voters do not hold them in low esteem. It also suggests that a large portion of the state are also of the left (I guess that your self-loathing jibe means that you think they hold themselves in low esteem?).

Add to this that (correct me if I am wrong) you live somewhere in the Corio electorate? Which has had a Labour MP sitting since the mid-1960's.this again suggests that the left are not held in low esteem around here. Infact the majority of people hold them in a high enough esteem to vote for them above the Liberals.

We could add into this the other states - Victoria, Queensland, ACT and NT are all Labour at the moment.

Apart from your own bias and prejudice (based on your experience), do you actually have any data that backs up your suggestion that the left are held in low esteem?

I hate to break to you but Labour doesn't simply equate to the left.

Plenty of right wingers in Labour ranks that vote like sheep too.

That you think the Labour voters in the Corio electorate are your modern day left wingers I think you don't understand the town you live in.

Those people won't be taking pronoun outrage seriously.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I think he basically thinks that any straight, white male who considers the feelings and the rights of LBGQT+ or BAME people has low self esteem and hates himself and his race/gender/sexuality.

It’s a rather unpleasant and retrograde mind-set. Not many people think that way in 2021.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I hate to break to you but Labour doesn't simply equate to the left.

Plenty of right wingers in Labour ranks that vote like sheep too.

That you think the Labour voters in the Corio electorate are your modern day left wingers I think you don't understand the town you live in.

Those people won't be taking pronoun outrage seriously.

You are slippery as an eel when it comes to clear definitions aren't you?

Who were you referring to when you talked about 'soft cock lefties'. These are the people who you claim Australians hold in low esteem.

I assumed that you were talking about left leaning people. I also assumed that they could be identified by their voting for the Labour party over the Liberals .

Not it seems that you have a different definition of those you believe are held in low regard. Help me out here and be clear on your definition of who you believe Australians hold in low esteem.

Is it Labour party members with erectile disfunction?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think he basically thinks that any straight, white male who considers the feelings and the rights of LBGQT+ or BAME people has low self esteem and hates himself and his race/gender/sexuality.

It’s a rather unpleasant and retrograde mind-set. Not many people think that way in 2021.

Nothing I have read this afternoon has suggested otherwise.

to be honest I am not sure who he hates but he certainly hates some people. The sad thing is that he appears to believe that everyone else agrees with him too.

Given he is a Libertarian and they tend to get a tiny percentage of the vote you would think he would realise.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Well if you choose to live in Brighton Harty, (or nearly) ., . . :)

I took the bus out to the Amex yesterday, one was painted all over pink, and the bus back was in the colours of Gay Pride.

I haven't come across that anywhere else in the country.

Typical snowflakes why can’t their be a bus in the colours of straight pride or in my case Virgin pride 😇

Regards
DF

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wow!!

Is this thread fitted with its own time machine.

On a thread about considering others by the language you use, you have excelled yourself.

It's a small dig at something Lenny Rider said on his radio show which got him sacked.

Anyway, back on topic - 'Hello Earthlings' .... problem solved.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I’m sure the celebrant didn’t mean to say anything to cause an issue and perhaps the words used were habit more than anything else.

And in many ways nothing wrong with someone giving some ‘advice’ or ‘feedback’.

However to then use the phrase “I was offended by it” just isn’t helpful. You don’t change attitudes or habits or anything by making people feel negative.

The people who want the world to change want to feel empowered and accepted in society which is brilliant, but for that to happen they need to work in a positive way when they can rather than put their point across by making someone feel negatively for a mistake which in many cases is unconscious.

This wasn’t abuse or derogatory, it was a simple use of words which could be improved so they should be also treated like a human being and not someone who needs to be ‘told off’ or made to feel shamed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can you not see the absolute hypocrisy that you are dictating to me what I should and shouldn't be getting offended about?

I don't want to be descibed as cisgender. I find it offensive. Isn't that enough?
As it has a Latin/Ancient Greek origin we don't know how "cis" is pronounced.

If it is "sis" well it is a bit "sissy" isn't it ? Which has a flavour of offence.

If it is "kis" like in "cat" it is a bit more amusing.

I suppose if anyone called me Sis-gender I'd correct them and say I found Kis-gender less offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here