[Albion] Some chants just aren't used anymore

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Two "olden days" chants that make me cringe whenever the break-out are:

1. Shoreham Road to see the Brighton aces:oops:
2. Because of Boxing Day:confused:

Please someone make them stop, and while you're at it stop that stupid Caiciedo Abba nonsense.

A more modern one I reckons works is that one to the tune of When Johnny Comes Marching Home... "Coz we all follow Brighton n' Hove Albion":)
100% agree about the Boxing Day chant, that was 40 odd years ago and I bet most of the people chanting it weren't there, give it up. Yes I was there, fabulous day but enough.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
100% agree about the Boxing Day chant, that was 40 odd years ago and I bet most of the people chanting it weren't there, give it up. Yes I was there, fabulous day but enough.
Most clubs’ fans sang that around Christmas time because of Boxing Day derbies. It’s only out of date because we don’t play Palace on Boxing Day anymore, not because of one particular game. The only unique song we have ever had is Sussex by the Sea. Everything else has been derivative. Nothing wrong with that.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Most clubs’ fans sang that around Christmas time because of Boxing Day derbies. It’s only out of date because we don’t play Palace on Boxing Day anymore, not because of one particular game. The only unique song we have ever had is Sussex by the Sea. Everything else has been derivative. Nothing wrong with that.
It's embarrassing, plain and simple...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus sat up and he said,...... we hate Palace, oh we hate Palace...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Away in a manger, no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus sat up and he said,...... we hate Palace, oh we hate Palace...
(y) I think I remember the first time I heard that. Made me chuckle. Was it just us though or was it lifted from other clubs with just the Palace bit changed ? Maybe ‘I do like to be beside the seaside…blah blah blah…kicking Palace in the sand… could be traced back to us, Southend, Blackpool etc ? Edit; can’t be ours due to the pebbles on Brighton Beach !!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I miss:

You are my Brighton
My only Brighton
You make me happy when skies are grey (or blue and white)
You never notice how much I love you
Please don't take my Brighton away
La-la-la-la-la etc (ooh!) etc

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Please someone make them stop, and while you're at it stop that stupid Caiciedo Abba nonsense.

A more modern one I reckons works is that one to the tune of When Johnny Comes Marching Home... "Coz we all follow Brighton n' Hove Albion":)

I do think that if we are embarrassing @faoileán then everyone who actually turns up in the stands and sings should stop immediately :lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry

Strongly disagree about Caicedo’s song - it’s great! Mind you I like a lot of ABBA songs too!😊
Shoreham Road originally used manager’s names didn’t it? I certainly recall Alan Mullery’s Aces but appreciate the name of our team gave it more longevity

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was going to announce my presence in the north west family stand next season with a rendition of “My old man said be a palace fan…”

Maybe I’ll wait a few games
My old man said be a palace fan,
I said, 'I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I'd rather not' ?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'Oh, my, what a referee'

We used to sing that in the Chicken Run.

Them were the days.

OohBrightonFriends

Apr 11, 2023

Can I ask how they make you 'cringe', cause I think both chants are good chants. Perhaps some fans fail to stay in tune but 🤷‍♂️

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I miss:

You are my Brighton
My only Brighton
You make me happy when skies are grey (or blue and white)
You never notice how much I love you
Please don't take my Brighton away
La-la-la-la-la etc (ooh!) etc
One of my favourites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports