Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Some chants just aren't used anymore

OohBrightonFriends

Apr 11, 2023
Does anyone feel like some of our chants that we have sung for years are being pushed out for newer chants. Mind you, I do like some of the newer chants and don't mind singing them, but it seems like "Everywhere we go" and similar chants are sung by a lot of fans. Even as a younger fan, I feel like there is a lack of the chants that we would have used to sing, perhaps the club has expanded its fanbase and most newer fans only hear a few chants.

Perhaps some chants need to make a comeback, perhaps we need more chants to use.

Not sure what everyone else's opinion is but that's what I've noticed, it could be that these chants aren't known or people would prefer newer chants.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Very few of the chants that dominated football for decades up until about 2010 are heard anymore. Some of the new ones are good, some are awful. I'm sure the old ones tend to be much better, but maybe every generation thinks that. The worst thing about modern chants is how fast they are sung. It completely takes that spine-tingling type atmosphere away.

OohBrightonFriends

Apr 11, 2023
Which ones did you have in mind?
In fairness, It would be unlikely that I can probably give a chant to name, one would probably be Build a Bonfire, which is historical for the club, which we hear every now and again. But there is definitely a lot more chants that we don't hear, just seems repetitive with the same few chants.

OohBrightonFriends

Apr 11, 2023
Very few of the chants that dominated football for decades up until about 2010 are heard anymore. Some of the new ones are good, some are awful. I'm sure the old ones tend to be much better, but maybe every generation thinks that. The worst thing about modern chants is how fast they are sung. It completely takes that spine-tingling type atmosphere away.
As a younger fan, I know the majority of the chants that we've sung, even beyond being around when they were sung predominantly. Some of the modern chants are quite good I do think, but it is difficult to understand the words to faster chants, especially if you've got a hearing disability like myself.

OohBrightonFriends

Apr 11, 2023
A few that I'm on about would be:
Brighton Boys
When I was just a little boy
Glory Glory Brighton and Hove Albion

Even Hark Now Hear seems to only be used every now and again.

Sure we have sung them, but how often? Chants like these have become less used in favour of newer chants.
I like 'everywhere we go' but do we really need to sing it for 2 minutes and about 6 or 7 times a game? Probably not.

Edit: Sea, Sea, Seasiders pops up every blue moon as well

calvstar

May 7, 2013
Haywards Heath
In fairness, It would be unlikely that I can probably give a chant to name, one would probably be Build a Bonfire, which is historical for the club, which we hear every now and again. But there is definitely a lot more chants that we don't hear, just seems repetitive with the same few chants.
Dark times when that song was around so gives me PTSD but part of the history

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m a knock kneed chicken

From the banks of the river Mersey

Ted MacDougal

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
A few that I'm on about would be:
Brighton Boys
When I was just a little boy
Glory Glory Brighton and Hove Albion

Even Hark Now Hear seems to only be used every now and again.

Sure we have sung them, but how often? Chants like these have become less used in favour of newer chants.
I like 'everywhere we go' but do we really need to sing it for 2 minutes and about 6 or 7 times a game? Probably not.

Edit: Sea, Sea, Seasiders pops up every blue moon as well
They’re all sung fairly regularly in the north stand, but it’s a natural evolution, they’re all pretty old fashioned so don’t really catch on, however the newer chants do as the younger generations enjoy singing them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m a knock kneed chicken

From the banks of the river Mersey

Ted MacDougal
This is what I'd heard.

When was it you last lost a fight?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here