Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Some chants just aren't used anymore

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The one to the tune of Here We Go/Stars and Stripes Forever? Yes, I agree - should definitely get sung more.

Also can't work out why we don't chant a simple, insistent Albion, Albion, Albion etc in the same cadence that Arsenal and Everton do. Would be effective at corners, or when we're putting the opposition under pressure, and the whole stadium could (in theory) join in, even those with blankets atop knees.
That's what's "Seagulls, Seagulls" is for.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Fack off Pompey
Pompey Fack off

:albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always wanted us to nick this Spurs or was it Arsenal/Chelsea originating chant

The famous Crystal Palace went to Rome to see the Pope
and this is what he said

f*** Off
Who‘s that team they call the Albion
Who’s that team we all adore
We’re the boys in Blue and White
and we’re f***ing dynamite

I’d love it if we substituted Palace for Man United at Wembley

Last edited:

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I always wanted us to nick this Spurs or was it Arsenal/Chelsea originating chant

and this is what he said

f*** Off
Who‘s that team they call the Albion
Who’s that team we all adore
We’re the boys in Blue and White
and we’re f***ing dynamite

I’d love it if we substituted Palace for Man United at Wembley
Or
The famous Peter Canning...
(put your trousers on!)

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Very few of the chants that dominated football for decades up until about 2010 are heard anymore. Some of the new ones are good, some are awful. I'm sure the old ones tend to be much better, but maybe every generation thinks that. The worst thing about modern chants is how fast they are sung. It completely takes that spine-tingling type atmosphere away.
Yeah I think it's true for most clubs these days; it's a stagnation of new uniformed chants sung without creativity over the same 3-4 melodies all the continent's over. Obviously, popular widespread chants have always been a thing, but most clubs would also have their own unique experiments and a variety of different songs. Nowadays that seems nearly lost at the top level, though at least in Italy there's still the fans of the lower league or nearby that seem to keep experimenting and creating somewhat new unique chants/songs.

Maybe I noticed this phenomenon even more sharply since our Ultras groups had lots of big fall outs with the owners in recent years (because of more and more restrictive measures at our stadium regarding tifo, and prices being high), and so now only a few of them show up at the stadium. The Ultras had the most varied chants repertoire (which to be fair was also becoming stale) and, most importantly, they lead and dominated the singing in the stadium; it works that way here in Italy, it's a more organized affair than in the UK. Without them we obviously still sing but we're way less organized, way less persistent and we only have 4-5 very banal chants that fizzle out quickly.

As far as our old chants go, at least the most famous one (and one of the very oldest) keeps being sung - it's also one of our two unofficial mottos and it's very very brief so it's pretty impossible to lose it along the way :lolol:

Last edited:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I used to like 'Cheer up Barry Fry. Come to think of it, it would work tomorrow with 'Cheer up Frank Lam-pard'.
The rest of the lyrics still work (well he is a posh Cockney).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’d very much like to see a return of the faster “Albion Albion Albion”

And more of the “seagulls seagulls seagulls”

I vaguely remember back in the 80s there being a “Come on you blues” rolling round the Goldstone for a few seasons.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I always liked, and would love to hear it more often;

Albion Albion Albion
Albion Albion Albee-u-un
Albion Albion Albion
Albion AL BE UN

Probably as it brings back memories from when I first went to the Goldstone in the late 70s.
This is the correct answer. Can't believe we ever switched to that other dirge.

I'd also have a go at that knock kneed chicken one but it's a bit before my time.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I liked back in the Goldstone, when one loud person would shout" give us a B and the rest of the north stand would repeat it and the rest of the letters to Brighton.
Ending with everyone chanting Brighton a few times after.

OohBrightonFriends

Apr 11, 2023
You may indeed ask why I cringe, and I will tell you:

1. "Shoreham Road" makes me cringe because it's a song which belongs to Geordies and despite "all the lads and lasses" having smiles upon their faces that is not Sussex dialect.

2. "we will fight for evermore because of Boxing Day" - Really? Most people who sing it couldn't fight their way out of a cardboard box.
I mean yeah that’s fair enough 👍

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
2. "we will fight for evermore because of Boxing Day" - Really? Most people who sing it couldn't fight their way out of a cardboard box.
I’m not sure I could fight my way out of a cardboard box, unless it was massive and there was room to swing a few punches or give the side a good kick.
If I was in a small box and packed in tightly I think i would struggle getting out, especially if the box was sealed with packing tape.
To be honest when I get anything in a box I use a knife to cut it open rather than fight my way into it. :moo: :wink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rodney marsh
Superstar
Wears frilly knickers and a platex bra

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I liked back in the Goldstone, when one loud person would shout" give us a B and the rest of the north stand would repeat it and the rest of the letters to Brighton.
Ending with everyone chanting Brighton a few times after.
You missed the “who’s gonna f***ing win”? Or other topical expletives

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
You’re going home like Sandy Richardson……one for the oldies. :lolol:

Referee, referee - your old lady is a whore, your old lady is a whore.
When I was a young un I thought it was your old lady is a horse :lolol:
Blimey that needed cobwebs dusting off No wonder Sir Norman liked it 😉

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here