Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They do.

You see movement off the ball, you can watch a player, note a lack of movement or runs made, space.
Depends on where you are in a stadium. From some positions yeah you get a better look, from others you certainly get a worse one.

Most of what you see doesnt come down to angle though but to the spectator.... sometimes if I write something nice about a scapegoat or something slightly negative about the teams new Champions League-carrier, I get the comment "but you weren't there". As if I'm supposed to pretend that people with two modes - "everyone/"everyone, especially xx were shit" or "everyone was top 4 here we come" - actually sit and track off-ball runs after a few beers in the stadium.

Often forgotten is that players, managers and refs got the worst view of all. Spaces, free players and incidents are a lot easier to see for both tv-viewers and almost everyone in a stadium compared to the view on the pitch.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Veltman not sending Solly down the wing happened so often I wondered if it was a deliberate RDZ ploy. Winger drags the full back wide, leaving more space centrally and we move inside. There's certainly a lot of play aimed at shifting opponents around while waiting for the right moment to change tempo. Which can be a bit annoying tbh. But I think we're creating chances that are arguably better than we were getting in a lot of games under Potter - certainly as good - so seems worth cutting the new guy some slack while it beds in.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They do.

You see movement off the ball, you can watch a player, note a lack of movement or runs made, space.
A different view I concur, not better. TV has so many angles covered and has the best hindsight in the world.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I have been frustrated by Solly in the past and posted it. However, credit where credit is due, last night he was the best player on the pitch. He forced Henderson to make a good save low at his near post in the first half and in the second he sent a brilliant ball across the face of the goal which unfortunately no striker had gambled on following in. Not a lot to report but more than anyone else.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I have been frustrated by Solly in the past and posted it. However, credit where credit is due, last night he was the best player on the pitch. He forced Henderson to make a good save low at his near post in the first half and in the second he sent a brilliant ball across the face of the goal which unfortunately no striker had gambled on following in. Not a lot to report but more than anyone else.
If his shot would of been aimed at the far post might of scored , never going to score at the near post , which is where the vast majority of his shots tend to go

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
If his shot would of been aimed at the far post might of scored , never going to score at the near post , which is where the vast majority of his shots tend to go
If my auntie had bollocks she would be my uncle. Forget the lame excuses he's not good enough. We need a replacement

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think March has been our most consistent attacking player under RDZ. Decent again last night and if we had anyone with goalscoring nous would have an assist from a brilliant ball across the 6 yard box he put through the defender’s legs. When the creative stuff isn’t coming off, knuckles down too. Trossard has been all but anonymous since Anfield - may as well have taken him off at half-time last night - and yet he’s supposedly going to Chelsea/Atletico Madrid while Solly gets all the flak…
Yep…perhaps it’s time to start a thread with a more positive title

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Veltman not sending Solly down the wing happened so often I wondered if it was a deliberate RDZ ploy. Winger drags the full back wide, leaving more space centrally and we move inside. There's certainly a lot of play aimed at shifting opponents around while waiting for the right moment to change tempo. Which can be a bit annoying tbh. But I think we're creating chances that are arguably better than we were getting in a lot of games under Potter - certainly as good - so seems worth cutting the new guy some slack while it beds in.
This. From the NW corner we could see Solly doing a run, leaving Aurier in the dust, only for Veltman not make the pass and turn inside to Dunk.

So frustrating and slow.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
This. From the NW corner we could see Solly doing a run, leaving Aurier in the dust, only for Veltman not make the pass and turn inside to Dunk.

So frustrating and slow.
5 or 6 times in the first half that pass was so clearly on and still not used. Was very frustrating. It looked as if Veltman was eyeing up the pass, only not to do it because he didnt want to risk giving the ball away. I get that sometimes defenders will not want to make 'risky' passes that might be intercepted, but there was often so much space to send Solly running into that it certainly didnt feel like any sort of risk.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
5 or 6 times in the first half that pass was so clearly on and still not used. Was very frustrating. It looked as if Veltman was eyeing up the pass, only not to do it because he didnt want to risk giving the ball away. I get that sometimes defenders will not want to make 'risky' passes that might be intercepted, but there was often so much space to send Solly running into that it certainly didnt feel like any sort of risk.
Totally agree. It's that kind of quick incisive passing that's going to beat the low block, not the tippy tappy around the field only to try and shoot through 10 defenders.

At the same time, some of the cross field passing was abysmal and a better team would have beaten us.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Totally agree. It's that kind of quick incisive passing that's going to beat the low block, not the tippy tappy around the field only to try and shoot through 10 defenders.

At the same time, some of the cross field passing was abysmal and a better team would have beaten us.
I just didnt understand why he was so reluctant. Often you see wingers shouting for that sort of pass and we as fans can see that its not really on (unless the pass is perfect) as the defender is well positioned, but not on this occasion, Solly had 40/50 yards of free space to run into and the defender wasnt remotely tight to him.

And as you say, exactly the sort of pass that beats the low block.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Great second half, good involvement in the goal - pass was pretty basic, but putting pressure on the City player to make him lose the ball and then immediately take a run into the space.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Another deluded manager seemingly rating March

Quite a silly comment about probably one of the most tactically aware and best managers in the world IMHO

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Quite a silly comment about probably one of the most tactically aware and best managers in the world IMHO
Think you might have missed the point rather. @Springal is [I hope] having a dig at the Solly-haters who seem to overlook the fact that all our managers since he has been here have rated him highly, as do other managers like Pep G. But 'they know better', and presumably that means all these managers are deluded!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Think you might have missed the point rather. @Springal is [I hope] having a dig at the Solly-haters who seem to overlook the fact that all our managers since he has been here have rated him highly, as do other managers like Pep G. But 'they know better', and presumably that means all these managers are deluded!
Apologies to Springal if this is so, I have been well and truly "Whooshed":rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here