Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
To my mind Solly is a fantastic utility player who can be slotted into the team whenever needed. He doesn’t complain about not playing, doesn’t complain about being played out of his favoured position, and gives consistently good performances wherever he’s played.

The above, in itself, merits his place in the team for me. He seems to be being criticised for not being Lionel Messi, and that’s a criticism that can be levelled at all footballers bar one.

Yes it would be lovely if he scored goals too, but I’m delighted with his overall contribution to the team and don’t understand the mindset of “if you don’t score goals regularly you can’t be in the team.”

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To my mind Solly is a fantastic utility player who can be slotted into the team whenever needed. He doesn’t complain about not playing, doesn’t complain about being played out of his favoured position, and gives consistently good performances wherever he’s played.

The above, in itself, merits his place in the team for me. He seems to be being criticised for not being Lionel Messi, and that’s a criticism that can be levelled at all footballers bar one.

Yes it would be lovely if he scored goals too, but I’m delighted with his overall contribution to the team and don’t understand the mindset of “if you don’t score goals regularly you can’t be in the team.”

Exactly - and like with Gross - Potter seems to rate a good balance of attack / defensive play from players like he said with Gross yesterday. In an ideal world he would score more, but you can include most of the team in that - including more attack minded players…

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Many managers seem to talk about focussing on the things players do well.

Lots to focus on for Silly, maybe this stuff isn't picked up on when watching the highlights on TV but it is certainly there.

Husty has expertly highlighted the area Solly can improve on. Not so expertly ignored all the other stuff he does though.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Thought he had one of his better games in the premier league for us. You can’t be a bad player if you keep getting in the areas to score. Lacks some composure. But I think if he carry’s on playing the way he has this season goals will come. Everytime people call for Sollys head and him to be replaced in the squad I ask them this.

How much would you spend on his a replacement a good player who can play in multiple positions. Will not be kicking up a fuss if he’s out the squad for periods at a time and can always be replied on. You are easily looking at 15-20 million. Then there’s no guarantee they would be better than Solly in the first place.

I like him, I appreciate the role he plays in our squad. Yes it would be nice if he scored more but is what it is.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I don’t get posts like this how can in your words a fantastic player get everything so wrong so often :shrug: Average squad player for me, if you don’t expect to much you won’t be disappointed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Solly is a versatile player, that cost us peanuts & has risen through the leagues with us, admired by other managers and an important member of a team that is on an upward trajectory. Be careful what you wish for, last season people were commenting on how slow and what does Pascal bring to the team….

Potter believes in Solly he can see what he brings to the team, and that’s why he is the manager and not like the miserable prat’s on here that moan about what he can’t..

End of.

Last edited:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Solly is a versatile player, that cost us peanuts & has risen through the leagues with us, admired by other managers and an important member of a team that is on an upward trajectory. Be careful what you wish for, last season people were commenting on how slow and what does Pascal bring to the team….

Potter believes in Solly he can see what he brings to the team, and that’s why he is the manager and not like the miserable prat’s on here that moan about what he can’t..

End of.

Solly is frustrating because he does (occasionally) look like a world beater who could be a game changer for us but, after many seasons with us, we need to accept that he’s a very good, reliable player who rarely makes mistakes in his defensive duties and makes a strong contribution to linking defence and attack but will never score more than an occasional goal.

Anyone who thinks that he’ll start scoring goals for fun with a bit of coaching is living in dreamland!

Anyone who thinks that we should be looking to drop him and finding an upgrade is also deluded.

He’s not a weak link! He’s an integral part of an increasingly impressive team…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boik

Solly is frustrating because he does (occasionally) look like a world beater who could be a game changer for us but, after many seasons with us, we need to accept that he’s a very good, reliable player who rarely makes mistakes in his defensive duties and makes a strong contribution to linking defence and attack but will never score more than an occasional goal.

Anyone who thinks that he’ll start scoring goals for fun with a bit of coaching is living in dreamland!

Anyone who thinks that we should be looking to drop him and finding an upgrade is also deluded.

He’s not a weak link! He’s an integral part of an increasingly impressive team…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes me think of that Alf Ramsey quote when Big Jack asked why he was in the team when he wasn't one of the best players.....

"I don't pick the best players, I pick the best team."

Still, what do he and GP know about football?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I don’t get posts like this how can in your words a fantastic player get everything so wrong so often :shrug: Average squad player for me, if you don’t expect to much you won’t be disappointed.

Solly gets a lot more right than he gets wrong. Natural finishers are rare and cost more. If every player in the team had to be a natural finisher we’d need a new team. Have you seen our league position btw?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I’m not wanting to get drawn into criticising Solly, but if we’re honest then it’s a concern he has missed 2 nailed on chances in successive games now (the header at West Ham & the 1 on 1 on Saturday). If we’d have lost those 2 games these misses would be under far greater scrutiny. Both chances he needed to think about and I think he panicked both times - composure in front of goal is not an easy thing to coach.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The 1 on 1 on Saturday wasn’t straightforward for Solly because he was on his wrong foot. His last touch needed to take him across onto his left foot but if he’d have done that then the defender might have slide in, so he kept it on his right side, his only error was to still try to finish with his left.

He’s starting by merit.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Are not most of our team pretty poor finishers? Hence our consistent dominance that isn’t evident in the final result. Even when we win by one or even two goals, we all know we could’ve/should’ve won by a lot more with better finishing.

I used to find Solly SO FRUSTRATING in prior seasons but last season and this season he has improved DRAMATICALLY!! He is now a fantastic player. He is so much stronger and way more confident. He used to shy away from any challenge and nev took a player on, he would ALWAYS stop and turn and pass back or worse, lose possession. He always seemed to play with fear. This has changed!! Now he really gets stuck in and we have already seen him stick up for himself off the ball twice this season. Long May it continue. Until recently he was a great potential and yet very inconsistent. Now he is solid in every other way but no more guilty than the rest of the team at bad finishing. Thank god for Pascal (and Trossard.) who is the only player thus far that has reliably taken all his chances.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wish Solly scored more from the chances he gets, same as

Welbz,
Tross,
Pascal,
Alimac,
Caicedo,
Lallana,
Webster,
Dunk,

and quite a few others that I can't be arsed to list. All the other players in the Premier seem to have a much better conversion rate from what I see on MOTD :rolleyes:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
A good measure of a players importance (using a lot of hypotheticals).

If he played for the opposition, would you be happy if he was injured and had to miss the game against us?

Using that test, I'm still not sure how I feel about Solly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here