[Albion] Solly March, local lad and Premier League star, is f***ing brilliant

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He's part of a team that is currently 3rd in the Premier League. So he's fine by me. & apart from scoring goals I think his general play has been decent over these first 4 games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think he's right. Good player but not at this level.
Are you saying he's not good enough for the PL, or simply that at our level (let's say 9th from last season) he's simply average, rather than good?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's part of a team that is currently 3rd in the Premier League. So he's fine by me. & apart from scoring goals I think his general play has been decent over these first 4 games.

But I didn't come here for a lecture in communism.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s alright defending the missed opportunities that seem to regularly fall his way when we win, the problem is when we need a goal to win a game or get back in a game are constantly being squandered. Unfortunately the keeper is like a magnet for March.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What an idiotic thread.

Part of a unit that’s got 10 points out of 12, he’s also been part of a team that hasn’t conceded from open play, he contributes a lot defensively as well. I look at our starting line up at the moment as a unit rather than individuals.

Trossard was equally as wasteful if not more than March yesterday yet no thread on him ???

Funny how there always has to be someone to moan about even when we are unbeaten and joint second in the league, very strange some of our fans.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Check out the company he keeps....

View attachment 151234

Ha! There’s a big chunk of that list that have been perma banned now.

As for this thread? Well, I can actually see the point being made but while we are wiping the smiles off the faces of some of the PL’s most self satisfied fans, the team can carry on and Potter can keep working his magic.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What an idiotic thread.

Part of a unit that’s got 10 points out of 12, he’s also been part of a team that hasn’t conceded from open play, he contributes a lot defensively as well. I look at our starting line up at the moment as a unit rather than individuals.

Trossard was equally as wasteful if not more than March yesterday yet no thread on him ???

Funny how there always has to be someone to moan about even when we are unbeaten and joint second in the league, very strange some of our fans.
Is it idiotic though? He’s flapped at two great chances like a school boy. Trossard gets numbers so mentioning him is kind of irrelevant when discussing March. If we can’t discuss players on here then what’s the point :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is it idiotic though? He’s flapped at two great chances like a school boy. Trossard gets numbers so mentioning him is kind of irrelevant when discussing March. If we can’t discuss players on here then what’s the point :shrug:

Why not start it as a discussion rather than giving a ridiculous statement. That is the idiotic part, not a reasonable discussion about Solly needing to improve his end product. Not sure the OP wanted a discussion at all.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I think it’s a fair call to ask the question regardless of league position. We all want the team to be the best and definitely improve all the time. Siolly is a solid player but probably our weakest link. He works hard and rarely has a mare of a game. His finishing and dead ball kicks are not the best. He does miss a lot of really good opportunities tbf.
His name never crops up in transfer rumours, but GP obviously believes in him.
I don’t think he ever puts fans on the edge of their seats does he?
I like his attitude. He has something, but rarely an end of product in his play.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Don't care how well he plays otherwise. Pointless having a man on there who can't deliver a corner beyond the first man and will never put the ball in the net. The fans and the rest of the team deserve better.

Prove me wrong sully!

Agree with the first two disagree with the last. He is a better right wing back than Lamptey because he hardly ever gets caught upfield. When Lamptey played lasts eason it seemed to be that Potter thought he needed Veltman behind. Seems more confident of Solly. I suspect Tariq will play when we can go all out and attack but when we need to be a bit clever with our wing backs it'll be March.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Why not start it as a discussion rather than giving a ridiculous statement. That is the idiotic part, not a reasonable discussion about Solly needing to improve his end product. Not sure the OP wanted a discussion at all.

okay here's the discussion then. agree the OP started the thread in an idiotic way, but there's definitely a discussion to be had, even if we've won. march does a lot of things brilliantly. defensively excellent, always gives 100% and never goes missing.

but if we had a right sided played who could finish semi-decently (and contrary to popular belief these do exist outside the top six) then we'd have had a field day. we killed them two or three times with that through ball yesterday, when march went one on one I didn't even bother standing up as I already knew the outcome. not saying he should be dropped or sold, but in terms of where the squad is right now, he's one of the worst finishers going, second maybe only to lallana, and if we're looking at areas to eventually improve the squad, he either needs to finish more convincingly, because he does have the technical ability to finish well, or eventually he'll be upgraded on.

imagine if we hadn't won yesterday. he'd have been crucified on here, and actually probably crucified by a lot of posters who've already rubbished the need for a discussion on this thread.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
okay here's the discussion then. agree the OP started the thread in an idiotic way, but there's definitely a discussion to be had, even if we've won. march does a lot of things brilliantly. defensively excellent, always gives 100% and never goes missing.

but if we had a right sided played who could finish semi-decently (and contrary to popular belief these do exist outside the top six) then we'd have had a field day. we killed them two or three times with that through ball yesterday, when march went one on one I didn't even bother standing up as I already knew the outcome. no saying he should be dropped or sold, but in terms of where the squad is right now, he's one of the worst finishers going, second maybe only to lallana, and if we're looking at areas to eventually improve the squad, he either needs to finish more convincingly, because the does have the technical ability to finish well, or eventually he'll be upgraded on.

imagine of we hadn't won yesterday. he'd have been crucified on here, an actually probably crucified by a lot of posters who've already rubbished the need for a discussion on this thread.

I agree. March is a great player for us and his contribution to our current success is clearly evident. However, his finishing is very poor - unfortunately it always has been. It's a bit of a mystery as he has a cracking shot but he lacks the coolness in front of goal to pick out a corner or even work the keeper. Maybe its something that cannot be coached and he will remain a frustration in this respect of his game. If he cant improve on it then the Club will need to look for an upgrade in his position.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I agree. March is a great player for us and his contribution to our current success is clearly evident. However, his finishing is very poor - unfortunately it always has been. It's a bit of a mystery as he has a cracking shot but he lacks the coolness in front of goal to pick out a corner or even work the keeper. Maybe its something that cannot be coached and he will remain a frustration in this respect of his game. If he cant improve on it then the Club will need to look for an upgrade in his position.

yep. I also don't buy this 'if he could finish he wouldn't be playing for us' line. okay, if he was getting 10+ goals a season then probably not, but it's at the point now where he's missing one or two sitters every game. that's not 'he misses sometimes, like all players do', that's abysmal. same reason why I don't understand people bringing trossard into this discussion. leo is probably our second best chance of a goal at the minute, and everything good we do generally goes through him. solly can play the defensive role well, but ultimately the way we play means that he finds himself in these goalscoring positions at least once a game, and it's almost guaranteed that he won't come close to finishing convincingly. as I said, great player and great character to have around, but if you're challenging towards the business end of the table that isn't enough on its own to be a starter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What about Webster missing a bunch of headers yesterday and otherwise? If Solly needs to be dropped for missing chances, Adam needs to be sent to Gulag.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think its fantastic that he's probably playing the best football of his career after sustaining 2 serious knee injuries.

A great servant too the club.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
What about Webster missing a bunch of headers yesterday and otherwise? If Solly needs to be dropped for missing chances, Adam needs to be sent to Gulag.
Webster is not a forward , March is meant to be able to score and create goals being an attacking midfield player, but he does neither , if Webster scores it’s a bonus ,

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Webster is not a forward , March is meant to be able to score and create goals being an attacking midfield player, but he does neither , if Webster scores it’s a bonus ,

Interesting that the best coach in the country is happy to put his name down first on the team sheet. Potter recognises what he’s contributing to the master plan, even if some of us don’t.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

He’s not a striker, using your logic his goals are also a bonus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports