Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solly March and Lewis Dunk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I look at defenders in the same way you do goalkeepers, in terms of performance. Is a Centre Back's job easier at Man City or Brighton, clearly the former. That said selections come from the big clubs because they are deemed to be better players or concede fewer goals. However, someone like Dunk is exposed to pressure for virtually 90 minutes week in week out, whereas at City / United / Chelsea etc you have a £200m+ strike force attacking at the other end occupying most of the oppositions midfield. I'd give the pressure players a go to be honest (no bias there of course!)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
given the dearth of talent at centre back, i'd expect it to be Dunk, but having not made impact at u-21 i expect he'll be overlooked. March will make it first, once there is a injury or two, i cant see the current players being dropped (maybe Delph, does he even play any more?)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yes - I'd forgotten that! Looked 100% certain to be a trademark Lewis Dunk (of old) lunge that would have left Sanchez in a heap and Dunk heading for an early bath.

A great illustration of the maturity that has come to his game when it was really needed.

Not sure if we're thinking of the same moment, but there was one on about 70 minutes, when we were passing around a bit dangerously at the back. The ball across to Dunk sold him a bit short and he did well to knick it away from the man closing on him, but pushed it too far ahead of himself, to the feet of an Arsenal player breaking from the centre circle. As Dunk charged after his heavy touch, I admit to holding my breath, as flashbacks of identical red cards at Huddersfield and QPR flashed before my eyes!

The 500 or so fans screaming 'NO' as he made his sprint might have helped.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
The 500 or so fans shouting 'NO' as he made his sprint might have helped.

We were thinking it, though - not shouting it. Do you think Lewis might be psychic?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After yesterday the question to be asked who is faster March or Dunk?.. That run back by Dunk as Arsenal broke for Ryan to save with his leg was gut busting ..commitment or what
His never give in commitment is something that I think doesn't always get picked up on. Of course his many fans here know he's committed, but he has such an inbuilt desire to stop that ball he carries on fighting when others would stand and watch (because it's away from them and no longer in their zone etc).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We were thinking it, though - not shouting it. Do you think Lewis might be psychic?

More than a few shouts of it in my section, but no, he's obviously learnt from prior mistakes and will hopefully learn from a couple short passes so far this season and be the complete centre half.

At that point though I would worry that we might not get to watch him anymore.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
After the ease which which they've taken to the Premier League I've already resigned myself to the fact it seems unlikely that both will be here this time next year. Frankly I'll be delighted if only one leaves.

Dunk seems like an obvious option that Liverpool would be looking at; a reasonably young English centrehalf that can play the ball but, crucially, is also defensively sound.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Got to give a huge amount of credit to Solly March. Two serious injuries in the space of under a year is a major obstacle to overcome but he looked a different player when he came back last season and has gone up another level this season.

Ignoring injuries, my main two concerns with him pre injury were he did not offer much defensively and was too lightweight. However they have worked on him, it has worked. He looks much stronger, a classic example yesterday being late in the first half when he went shoulder to shoulder with Sanchez and won the battle leaving Sanchez rolling around on the floor asking for a free kick. He also offers a huge amount more defensively now and works really hard. He looks a Premier League player and I think is probably first choice winger now with Knockaert and Izquierdo competing for the other side.

As for Lewis Dunk, hard to keep coming up with superlatives for him. He has been superb all season and has hardly committed a foul. What a turn around from this time last season when, despite playing really well, he already had a number of bookings.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Lewis Dunk is now on a streak of 18 (eighteen) games without a yellow card, including games against Aguero, Vardy and Sanchez. Seriously impressive.

Yellow card coming up then! :facepalm: :D

Watching Brighton away at Cambridge etc several years back, who would have thought we would be talking about little old Albion and potentially future England capped players.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He looks much stronger, a classic example yesterday being late in the first half when he went shoulder to shoulder with Sanchez and won the battle leaving Sanchez rolling around on the floor asking for a free kick. He also offers a huge amount more defensively now and works really hard.

His first action in Premier League football was to outmuscle Man City's £26m fullback Danilo and he hasn't looked back since. In the metaphorical sense anyway.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
March's rise in the past year has been incredible

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that Dunk is better than Keane but all the time he is at Brighton he will not get caleld up for England but when he goes to Arsenal or Liverpool if they dont get Virgil Van Dyke in January he will get called up fairly soon after. The same for March to get called up he will need to move to a big club but niot sure that he is ready for the big multi million move yet. Or more to the point I dont think any club will offer multi millions yet. Just as a comparison is he better than Theo Walcott?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I believe that Dunk is better than Keane but all the time he is at Brighton he will not get caleld up for England but when he goes to Arsenal or Liverpool if they dont get Virgil Van Dyke in January he will get called up fairly soon after. The same for March to get called up he will need to move to a big club but niot sure that he is ready for the big multi million move yet. Or more to the point I dont think any club will offer multi millions yet. Just as a comparison is he better than Theo Walcott?

This.

My belief is that both may get full honours. But only when they leave us in the summer....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here