Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solar Panels

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
they'll reduce the tariff just like they've already done from their original figure by how much who knows , you sound possessive by the way ???
regards
DR

There is a difference though. The phased reductions in the tariff were all part of the original scheme. Those that got in early got the higher tariff and those later at phased reduced rates. However, at whichever rate you entered the scheme, the tariff will go up annually based on the RPI. I'm not saying a future government won't renege on the contract but they would face a challenge just as they did when they tried to alter the scheme before when they lost in the high court.

I might sound possessive just as you sound very dismissive!!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
WTF do you mean by the government owning my roof? I own the roof and I own the panels. Worse case scenario would be the government breach their contract to pay me my tariff. If that happens after I had them for 5 years then they have already paid for themselves and I still get free electricity during daylight hours.

actually your worse case scenario is selling the energy back to grid at market rate, something like 6-8p a KWh?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Yeah, bloody stone cladding generating £500 income a year - no wonder everyone ditched it.

As you seem incapable of understanding, let me explain.

In years to come, the panels being fitted today will be so outdated and look so out of place that people will avoid houses fitted with them just like they did with stone cladding.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As you seem incapable of understanding, let me explain.

In years to come, the panels being fitted today will be so outdated and look so out of place that people will avoid houses fitted with them just like they did with stone cladding.

Houses that generate their own electricity are going to be out of date.....

I don't think so. Buyers are already starting to take more notice of EPC's and that will only increase in the future as we realise we're hostage to energy prices.

On old buildngs - sometimes, but on new builds, where they're an integral part of the building project, I think they're fine.

solar-panel-houses.jpg

Blend in fine! Shame the houses look disgusting:sick:

I'M WAITING FOR THE GREY SKIES AND DRIZZLE PANELS,SHOULD PRODUCE PLENTY OF POWER!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Houses that generate their own electricity are going to be out of date.....

I don't think so. Buyers are already starting to take more notice of EPC's and that will only increase in the future as we realise we're hostage to energy prices.

Obvious attempt to distort the argument there, because I never said that did I. What I said was in say 20 years the systems installed today will be so inefficient so big and so ugly that they will have the same stigma as stone cladding.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Obvious attempt to distort the argument there, because I never said that did I. What I said was in say 20 years the systems installed today will be so inefficient so big and so ugly that they will have the same stigma as stone cladding.

I'm not distorting the argument at all. You definitely said that in years to come people would avoid houses with solar panels like they do stone cladding.

If you're selling your house after 20 years of enjoying the profit and electricity from solar panels but you're worried it might effect buyers as they're a bit old and inefficient - you just get a ladder onto your roof and unbolt the things. The stone cladding analogy just doesn't work.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I'm not distorting the argument at all. You definitely said that in years to come people would avoid houses with solar panels like they do stone cladding.

If you're selling your house after 20 years of enjoying the profit and electricity from solar panels but you're worried it might effect buyers as they're a bit old and inefficient - you just get a ladder onto your roof and unbolt the things. The stone cladding analogy just doesn't work.

In your humble opinion. Why don't you look back in 20 years.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
actually your worse case scenario is selling the energy back to grid at market rate, something like 6-8p a KWh?

That wouldn't be so bad as my export rate, ie the amount I get for energy sold back to the grid is only 3.3p per unit! Where I benefit is that I get paid 46.81p for every unit I generate whether I use it or not.

If you were lucky enough to get in early then it is an excellent way to subsidise your energy bill. Now, if you install at your cost, the income is considerably less but this is partially offset by the lower cost of installation.

My own view on solar panels is that they should be fitted on all new builds, especially in the south where we have longer hours of sunshine. Installation cost at the build stage would be considerably less and wouldn't affect market value greatly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That wouldn't be so bad as my export rate, ie the amount I get for energy sold back to the grid is only 3.3p per unit! Where I benefit is that I get paid 46.81p for every unit I generate whether I use it or not.

If you were lucky enough to get in early then it is an excellent way to subsidise your energy bill. Now, if you install at your cost, the income is considerably less but this is partially offset by the lower cost of installation.

My own view on solar panels is that they should be fitted on all new builds, especially in the south where we have longer hours of sunshine. Installation cost at the build stage would be considerably less and wouldn't affect market value greatly.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In your humble opinion. Why don't you look back in 20 years.

It's not my humble opinion at all. In 20 years or whatever, at the end of the day they are easily handled lightweight panels bottled to 4 brackets to your roof. If you think they're now ugly, or they're no longer functioning, you just take them off. They've paid for themselves after 8 years or so, you've made profit for the next 12 years. It's a no brainer for any south facing roof.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

A bit like buying an 'HD Ready' flat screen telly now, when ones with HD tuners built in are already on the market.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We had a 10 panel 2.4kw system installed two years ago, qualifying for the maximum FIT payment of 46.8 per kwh. Over the last 12 months we have received £1200 in FIT payments against an original installation cost of nearly £9k. At the current rate the installation will be paid off around 7 years, may be a bit less. The electricity generated means we are more efficient and the amount of 'leccy we now buy is down by 50%, so clearly a no brainer.

OK you have to factor in the cost of possibly replacing the inverter after 10 years, but these are now getting significantly cheaper and more efficient. Plus there are also fancy smart meters and software to monitor your generation and consumption so you can look for further options to be energy efficient.

Given how expensive fuels prices are now, plus the scare stories about how these will escalate I suggest it will be essential to ensure your property is as efficient as possible, have the maximum insulation, double glazing and reduce your dependence on buying fuels. Plus turn the stat down even by only a degree or two, and wear an extra jumper when it gets colder.

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
I have been fitting Solar for around 4 years both water and photovoltaic. If you need any advice feel free to pm me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here