Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solar Panels

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Serious question, if you have solar panels fitted, and a little while later you need a new roof, do the panels need completely refitting?

The panels are basically bolted to brackets that are secured against the rafters. You would simply unbolt the panels, but could leave the backets and the wiring while the roof is redone. Once done you would bolt the panels back to the brackets.

Jan 30, 2008
Had ours since Oct 2011 and have earned £3.5k as we got in just before the tariff dropped and that is on a South West facing roof. Had we been directly south then it would have generated even more. Electricity useage is down as well by 20% so total saving over the period is just over £4k.

As for aesthetics, do they look any worse than a menagerie of satellite dishes and aerials over the roof lines?
YOU HAVEN'T SAID HOW MUCH IT COST TO INSTALL IT and the projected time scale to pay for it ???energy companies will move the goal posts on tariffs when ever they fancy it:wink:
regards
DR

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
YOU HAVEN'T SAID HOW MUCH IT COST TO INSTALL IT and the projected time scale to pay for it ???energy companies will move the goal posts on tariffs when ever they fancy it:wink:
regards
DR

To keep you happy. Cost £10k so based on current returns, repay in 5 years however that doesn't take into account that it will be quicker if energy prices go up over the same period and also the increase in tariffs over that period. FIT contract is for 25 years and it's not the energy firms that pay the tariffs, it's the government. Or to be more precise, you. As for the amount of the tariffs, these rise each year in line with RPI. There is a gradual reduction in efficiency of the panels over the period but I'm reasonably comfortable that I'm better off with them than without.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Can you put them on a flat roof dormer (loft conversion)?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

That looks pretty smart, I have also found this type

solartile.png

Jan 30, 2008
To keep you happy. Cost £10k so based on current returns, repay in 5 years however that doesn't take into account that it will be quicker if energy prices go up over the same period and also the increase in tariffs over that period. FIT contract is for 25 years and it's not the energy firms that pay the tariffs, it's the government. Or to be more precise, you. As for the amount of the tariffs, these rise each year in line with RPI. There is a gradual reduction in efficiency of the panels over the period but I'm reasonably comfortable that I'm better off with them than without.
fair comment , JUST WATCH OUT FOR FAULTY PANELS AND METERS THAT DON'T FUNCTION PROPERLY :wink:
regards
DR

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
or, they might be very desirable when the leccy bill is a few £'000 a year.

The point I am trying to make is that the development of panels is moving at such a pace that the current massive panels will soon be obsolete technology. Then you are left trying to sell a house where the new owner may not want the dinosaurs on his roof.

Jan 30, 2008
The point I am trying to make is that the development of panels is moving at such a pace that the current massive panels will soon be obsolete technology. Then you are left trying to sell a house where the new owner may not want the dinosaurs on his roof.
bit like mobile phones
regards
DR

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
in England?

pfff.

The gov will own your roof FOREVER.

You will have to give the power to the grid, then buy it back....at a little discount...wooOOoo.

Total scam and so many fall for it.

In a different country tho, its another matter.

The key is not so much the panels, its the intelligence and effeciency in the regulator/charge controller.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
in England?

pfff.

The gov will own your roof FOREVER.

You will have to give the power to the grid, then buy it back....at a little discount...wooOOoo.

Total scam and so many fall for it.

In a different country tho, its another matter.

The key is not so much the panels, its the intelligence and effeciency in the regulator/charge controller.

WTF do you mean by the government owning my roof? I own the roof and I own the panels. Worse case scenario would be the government breach their contract to pay me my tariff. If that happens after I had them for 5 years then they have already paid for themselves and I still get free electricity during daylight hours.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Solar panels will be the stone cladding of the next generation.

Yeah, bloody stone cladding generating £500 income a year - no wonder everyone ditched it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible to become self-sufficient from solar panels (I know there are lots of variables to that question)?

You're right there are lots of variables, but you would need to go the whole hog and use energy efficient appliances. Instead of having a 42 in TV and desk top PC you could just use a tablet, and for lighting use LED. You would also have to stop using your hair dryer, curling tongs and hair staighteners.

Jan 30, 2008
WTF do you mean by the government owning my roof? I own the roof and I own the panels. Worse case scenario would be the government breach their contract to pay me my tariff. If that happens after I had them for 5 years then they have already paid for themselves and I still get free electricity during daylight hours.
they'll reduce the tariff just like they've already done from their original figure by how much who knows , you sound possessive by the way ???
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here