Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sol Campbell - Race card played?

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Bloody hell, I think you're pinning a hell of a lot of blame on an inexperienced coach that was at best 3rd-in-command.

I didn't apportion any blame. I just said that that is what I associate him with. My point is less a case that 'The Nevilles are bad' more of 'I'm fed up with people on TV or newspapers exaggerating the extent of their talent or capabilities' (and more so - the majority of people believing it). Remember these are the same people who once championed Sam Allardyce, Harry Redknapp, Peter Taylor, Stewart Pearce etc etc and seem to fall over themselves to anoint the "new" saviour of English football every couple of years. So far, they've all been of the same mold.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
You can make the case that Sol was discriminated against, that might well be true. But I think, anecdotally at least, we've come to understand that Sol Campbell was quite an introverted character, not vocal and not particularly good with people. Is it therefore that surprising that he's struggled to get a full time coaching role?

Johan Cruyff was supposed to be similar in that regard. He's helped create an ongoing legacy at Barcelona, Ajax and with the Netherlands. He's never struggled to get a coaching/administrative role though. Different levels of skill and reputations granted, but the point still stands. Bela Guttmann was also supposed to be somewhat introverted. His managerial record will stand the test of time against anybody.

One stat that I'd love to see (but which I think is impossible to collect) is the percentage of qualified white coaches that are employment versus the percentage of equivalently qualified black coaches that are employed - I think that would give a decent indication of whether there was discrimination going on. I remember looking at the number of british coaches taking the Pro qualification the last time we had this discussion on NSC, and there were only a very small number of black coaches taking the qualification. I think that once this is addressed, and you have a representative number of black coaches but still few in top jobs, we could look at bringing in a Rooney rule equivalent. But at the moment I'm not convinced that it's a problem of lack of demand so much as lack of supply (of black coaches).

That would be very interesting too and actually would perhaps be able to settle the discussion once and for all. Although getting the qualification doesn't immediately guarantee employment though.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Oh, FFS...

"Labour MP Keith Vaz has urged the government to look into Sol Campbell's claims that he would have captained England for longer had he been white. "If there is even a suspicion of racism this must be fully investigated immediately," said Vaz."

Gimme strength Keith. Jeez.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Time he quit and retired from the public eye.
A self publicist who nobody is even vaguely interested in.
Total non entity.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sol Campbell ready ‘to have a conversation’ with Conservative Party

• Ex-England defender believes he can secure ‘the black vote’
• Campbell: ‘I am for getting people from my background to vote’
• Campbell calls FA ‘institutionally racist’ after captaincy snub

For bs from Sol

Campbell is considering joining the Conservative Party and believes he can have a major influence in securing “the black vote”.

The former England defender Sol Campbell is considering joining the Conservative Party and believes he can have a major influence in securing “the black vote”.

Campbell, who retired in 2011 having won 73 caps for his country, said last week that he was thinking about joining the Conservative Party to fight Labour’s proposed introduction of mansion tax should they win the General Election next year.

However, speaking at the launch of his new biography Cheltenham Literature Festival on Thursday, the former Tottenham and Arsenal defender admitted he is considering taking a more active role.

“[Let’s have] a conversation just to see where they want to go with things,” he said.

“I think something has got to be offered for me to really think about it.

“I have got so much to offer. I think it is very important for the black vote.

“If the ‘black vote’ votes it will clearly push someone over the line. I am for getting people from my background to vote.

“If I am a consultant for the government then you can do your stuff but not be left with nowhere to manoeuvure,” Campbell added.

“Politics is very hard work. You have to really commit to things. Some people get into it for the wrong reasons.”

Campbell claimed in March that he would have been England captain “for more than 10 years” if he was white. Now he is hopeful that the Football Association chairman Greg Dyke will use his Commission to help tackle the issue of racism in the game.

“Greg Dyke has come out and said there is a problem, officially,” Campbell said.

“Some people just couldn’t handle the things I was saying. Now Greg Dyke has come out and said there is a problem and there are other problems associated with the FA that come from race. Thank God someone’s actually said something.

“A lot of people didn’t believe me, but now they are starting to believe,” the former England defender added. “Talk is cheap, but hopefully things can start to move on and include inclusion.”

Now 40, Campbell offically retired in May 2012 a year after being released by Newcastle. Yet despite his absence from the game, he believes England should give him an opportunity.

“The career I have had should warrant me getting a job,” he said.

“I’ve done all the badges. I’m doing my coaching badges with the Welsh FA. I am on the last year of the pro licence.

“Whether I’m going to use it straightaway I’m not too sure. Whether I can use it here I don’t know.”

So the right reason to get into politics is to stop you have to pay some more tax, cheers Sol

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I see Paul Ince is claiming his colour has stopped him getting jobs, not the fact he is an average (at best) manager and a ****.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sol Campbell is deliberately now trying to confuse two separate issues, his not getting the England captaincy and the under-representation of black ex-players in coaching and management.

One is a figment of his imagination, and one of the worst examples of playing the race card I can ever remember. I can't believe he's gone at this again yesterday. No one, at England, his clubs, anywhere, thought he was captaincy material for England. His personality was all wrong, he was a selfish introvert who never did media. He did his job quietly on the pitch, then left. That is professional, but it isn't captaincy material. There were several far better candidates. His ONLY claim was the number of times he had played, but that on its own is obviously not enough. His interest in doing more media came when he wasn't playing and decided not to coach, and frankly needed the money, most notably to help sell his book.

The second issue - not that it is relevant to him personally, because he chose not to go down that road - is valid. There has to be some systemic reason why more black players who have operated at a very high level and have the badges are not getting coaching and management jobs, and you are looking at the make-up of boards for this one, and their attitudes. I am against positive discrimination in most cases, but every now and again a case crops up that shows such obvious unfairness that is not being addressed, it needs action. I think the Rooney rule guaranteeing one black candidate on a shortlist, not the actual job, is fair enough at this time for maybe a limited period (5/10 years, whatever).

There are all sorts of other connected issues - a lot of black ex-players are going for the easier money in the media, like many of their white counterparts. And people like rent-a quote Jason Roberts don't exactly help the debate, when I doubt he has ever actually applied for a job as a coach.

But the case study cited by the Fifa guy the other day of Eddie Newton has to be worrying. He has played at a very high level, has all the credentials, and couldn't get an interview. That doesn't feel right at all.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I stopped reading the Sky Sports article when he claimed he was the best defender in the world in the early 2000's.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sol Campbell is deliberately now trying to confuse two separate issues, his not getting the England captaincy and the under-representation of black ex-players in coaching and management.

One is a figment of his imagination, and one of the worst examples of playing the race card I can ever remember. I can't believe he's gone at this again yesterday. No one, at England, his clubs, anywhere, thought he was captaincy material for England. His personality was all wrong, he was a selfish introvert who never did media. He did his job quietly on the pitch, then left. That is professional, but it isn't captaincy material. There were several far better candidates. His ONLY claim was the number of times he had played, but that on its own is obviously not enough. His interest in doing more media came when he wasn't playing and decided not to coach, and frankly needed the money, most notably to help sell his book.

The second issue - not that it is relevant to him personally, because he chose not to go down that road - is valid. There has to be some systemic reason why more black players who have operated at a very high level and have the badges are not getting coaching and management jobs, and you are looking at the make-up of boards for this one, and their attitudes. I am against positive discrimination in most cases, but every now and again a case crops up that shows such obvious unfairness that is not being addressed, it needs action. I think the Rooney rule guaranteeing one black candidate on a shortlist, not the actual job, is fair enough at this time for maybe a limited period (5/10 years, whatever).

There are all sorts of other connected issues - a lot of black ex-players are going for the easier money in the media, like many of their white counterparts. And people like rent-a quote Jason Roberts don't exactly help the debate, when I doubt he has ever actually applied for a job as a coach.

But the case study cited by the Fifa guy the other day of Eddie Newton has to be worrying. He has played at a very high level, has all the credentials, and couldn't get an interview. That doesn't feel right at all.

I was just about to put finger to laptop when I read this, which says more or less everything I was thinking. Logic and good sense from Mr T Gull as usual.

It's easy to cry 'racism' when someone from a minority doesn't get an interview, job, promotion, whatever, but proving a negative is very difficult. That's why introducing something like the NFL's Rooney Rule has to be brought in. You can argue that it's tokenism, but at least then we'll know that black coaches are being interviewed, and if they consistently fail to be offered jobs we can ask the next level of questions. Eddie Newton has all the credentials and should be considered for almost any job in the Football League, as should Chris Ramsey.

People often point to Chris Powell as an exception, but perhaps they have also forgotten how he got his start in first-team coaching. He was promoted at Charlton because the first-team manager at the time believed in Affirmative Action as the only way to secure advancement for coaches from ethnic minorities. Unfortunately that manager is now one of the most unpopular in the country - Alan Pardew.

And Tooting is right. Sol Campbell would have been hopeless at being the spokesman for the England team and being a friendly face to the media, which - like it or not - is an important part of the job.

One point on his sudden interest in politics - it's interesting that his support for the Tories seems to be based on his dislike of the mansion tax. I could be wrong, but is that really the issue that will enable him to deliver the black vote?

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So Sol Campbell's aspirations have included becoming a Conservative MP, England captain, England Defensive Coach? Forget it mate, the only thing in store for you as is fruitcake / quota on "I'm A Celebrity".

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Sol Campbell ready ‘to have a conversation’ with Conservative Party

• Ex-England defender believes he can secure ‘the black vote’
• Campbell: ‘I am for getting people from my background to vote’
• Campbell calls FA ‘institutionally racist’ after captaincy snub

For bs from Sol

Campbell is considering joining the Conservative Party and believes he can have a major influence in securing “the black vote”.

The former England defender Sol Campbell is considering joining the Conservative Party and believes he can have a major influence in securing “the black vote”.

Campbell, who retired in 2011 having won 73 caps for his country, said last week that he was thinking about joining the Conservative Party to fight Labour’s proposed introduction of mansion tax should they win the General Election next year.

However, speaking at the launch of his new biography Cheltenham Literature Festival on Thursday, the former Tottenham and Arsenal defender admitted he is considering taking a more active role.

“[Let’s have] a conversation just to see where they want to go with things,” he said.

“I think something has got to be offered for me to really think about it.

“If the ‘black vote’ votes it will clearly push someone over the line. I am for getting people from my background to vote.

“If I am a consultant for the government then you can do your stuff but not be left with nowhere to manoeuvure,” Campbell added.

“Politics is very hard work. You have to really commit to things. Some people get into it for the wrong reasons.”

Campbell claimed in March that he would have been England captain “for more than 10 years” if he was white. Now he is hopeful that the Football Association chairman Greg Dyke will use his Commission to help tackle the issue of racism in the game.

“Greg Dyke has come out and said there is a problem, officially,” Campbell said.

“Some people just couldn’t handle the things I was saying. Now Greg Dyke has come out and said there is a problem and there are other problems associated with the FA that come from race. Thank God someone’s actually said something.

“A lot of people didn’t believe me, but now they are starting to believe,” the former England defender added. “Talk is cheap, but hopefully things can start to move on and include inclusion.”

Now 40, Campbell offically retired in May 2012 a year after being released by Newcastle. Yet despite his absence from the game, he believes England should give him an opportunity.

“The career I have had should warrant me getting a job,” he said.

“I’ve done all the badges. I’m doing my coaching badges with the Welsh FA. I am on the last year of the pro licence.

“Whether I’m going to use it straightaway I’m not too sure. Whether I can use it here I don’t know.”

So the right reason to get into politics is to stop you have to pay some more tax, cheers Sol

Was that a Sol Campbell or David Icke interview?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Was that a Sol Campbell or David Icke interview?

My favourite bit is this

“If the ‘black vote’ votes it will clearly push someone over the line. I am for getting people from my background to vote.."

Yes i'm sure the 'black vote' will ecstatic your fighting their corner by opposing mansion tax, I've heard that it has all second generation Jamaican immigrants in East London up in arms.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Have to say he has all the qualifications for a career in politics........... Completely obnoxious; wholly self-centred and self-aggrandising; entirely unlikeable; and totally up his own arse.
Perfect fit :thumbsup:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Have to say he has all the qualifications for a career in politics........... Completely obnoxious; wholly self-centred and self-aggrandising; entirely unlikeable; and totally up his own arse.
Perfect fit :thumbsup:

Oh no...I would say he is a very well balanced individual....he has a chip on both shoulders.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
One thing I don't understand - how is it not racist for a black man to constantly go on about white people getting all the privileges (which may or may not be true) & re: the political 'black vote', if I white male said this stuff but the other way round you can guaruntee he'd be labeled racist.

He just comes across as a monumental crackpot, with a similarly monumental sized chip on his shoulder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here