Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sol Campbell - Race card played?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'm surprised more people don't agree with him. I think the ten years thing is a bit of an exaggeration but there is no doubt in my mind that the FA is institutionally racist. I certainly think Campbell would have captained them more otherwise. I agree that he comes across a bit arrogant and hard done by at times, but don't disagree with him on this one.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm surprised more people don't agree with him. I think the ten years thing is a bit of an exaggeration but there is no doubt in my mind that the FA is institutionally racist. I certainly think Campbell would have captained them more otherwise. I agree that he comes across a bit arrogant and hard done by at times, but don't disagree with him on this one.

What is it EXACTLY that gives you 'no doubt' that the FA is institutionally racist ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I always thought he wasn't good enough and/or injured.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

1) Based on what is there no doubt in your mind that the FA are 'institutionally racist'?

2) You would also then be accusing every England manager of also being Racist because the manager chooses the captain and if they were in cahoots with the FA not to choose a black captain then I'm almost certain one of the England managers would have come out after their reign and exposed them as Racists.

It's just nonsense, there is zero concrete reasons that Campbell could claim this, but then he does have a book to sell.... The perfect time to make controversial allegations.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...there is no doubt in my mind that the FA is institutionally racist. I certainly think Campbell would have captained them more otherwise.

on what basis do you think that of the FA? and the manager appoints the Captain, not the FA. Basically Campbell is saying Keegan, Taylor and Sven are racist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Almost zero Asians, no gay players, virtually zero black former players in positions of power. It makes you wonder.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
England-v-Italy-008.jpg

Here is a photo.

In the background is Sol Campbell. He claims the fact he wasn't England Captain is down to him being Black. In the foreground is England captain Paul Ince... who is black.

:shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep Tony Adams for a year Shearer for 3 years(I believe) Beckham for 6 years and John Terry for 1 year, plus a few other players getting the band on odd games.

Beckham is the only one in my opinion who wasn't captain material and maybe Sol could claim to be in front of him. Always thought Beckham got it for his off field status rather than his leadership skills on pitch.

I think it would be fair to say that if Beckham had not been captain, Gerrard and Lampard would have both been in front of Campbell for the armband.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
England-v-Italy-008.jpg

Here is a photo.

In the background is Sol Campbell. He claims the fact he wasn't England Captain is down to him being Black. In the foreground is England captain Paul Ince... who is black.

:shrug:

Black and white and red all over.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Isn't Sol Campbell gay? Rumours were abound in football 6 or so years ago.....maybe this was a factor?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
What a tosser image.jpg

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Sol was one of my England heroes growing up, but he does come across as being quite bitter about the whole thing, as One Teddy Maybank said Beckham led by example and was a worthy captain.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
At his peak probably one of the best central defenders in the world (certainly his partnership with Rio Ferdinand was as good as England have had for years) but he always seemed like quite an introvert.

Paul Ince probably has an argument he could have captained more, but he was around at the same time as Tony Adams who was a top draw leader. I suppose the same argument could be made for Rio Ferdinand being around at the same time as John Terry and Steve Gerrard.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sol Campbell had always been over sensitive. One of those people who thinks the world is out to get him. And when things don't go his way he finds someone to blame. Not being England captain had nothing to do with the colour of his skin but because there were better 'leaders' instead of him.
If Campbell had been born white and ginger he'd blame that.
If a white player complained that a black player was picked over him because of skin colour the world would be up in arms, mainly because totally unfounded. Why Campbell feels he can say these things and effectively brand the FA and every England manager racist is beyond me.
The only person who seems to an issue with other peoples skin colour is Campbell.
Get over if you sad bitter man

My thoughts as well.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Worthy of being raised only when he has a book to peddle.
Not sure who is more cynical, Campbell or me but what I do know is that I am not racist while Campbell by his actions is a racist of the worst sort.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
for this to be even remotely accurate he would have had to be his club captain the whole time to demonstrate the ability to be a leader. Was he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here