Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Soccer Saturday

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm only interested in hearing the views of ex / current male professional footballers on a show about male professional football. I know it's not the right thing to say and I should be promoting a 'diverse mix' etc which is the acceptable view but that's my view. Why for example don't Sky have lower league players on Super Sunday / MNF / Soccer Saturday and BT on CL coverage I guess the reason would be why would we have the Macclefield Town centre back commentating on a level of football he's never played so his views don't hold much gravitas.

Soccer Saturday covers the women's game doesn't it!? :shrug:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
39 of the 59 posts made by Lego Stand on this forum have been in this thread. We get it, cheers. Your un-nuanced opinions are very clear and you've expressed yourself clearly and concisely. And repeatedly.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm only interested in hearing the views of ex / current male professional footballers on a show about male professional football. I know it's not the right thing to say and I should be promoting a 'diverse mix' etc which is the acceptable view but that's my view. Why for example don't Sky have lower league players on Super Sunday / MNF / Soccer Saturday and BT on CL coverage I guess the reason would be why would we have the Macclefield Town centre back commentating on a level of football he's never played so his views don't hold much gravitas.

Good lord, an upset gammon if I ever saw one.

These lower league players are usually playing, hence why it’s full of retired players and if they’re retired they usually have a business as they can’t retire on what they earn
Alex Scott is 1 of the best and most knowledgeable pundits around and I’m all for having her on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Out of interest, what would be your view on a female anchor replacing Jeff Stelling? His role isn't dependent on having played the game at a professional level.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2018
Not particularly sad to see the back of Thompson and Le Tiss to be honest.

Did think there would be a lady and BAME group filling a couple of the other slots though each week.

I do wonder if we still will, by not going to a full inclusive panel on week 1 avoids the suggestion that race and gender is at play, somewhat anyway

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I have to admit, SO much of the old panel was just a boys club that only know about their club or the top six. I won't miss Thompson, Le Tiss or Nicholas at all. In regards to the the level they played, yes it was to a high level but it's a completely different game at the top now to what it was in the 80's with Thompson and Nicholas, and as for Matt "used to eat cheeseburgers on the way to training" Le Tissier, come on, none of these players are inside the modern top level game - They're just men who played the game before it became the machine it is today.

Regarding who comes in, you know what might make a change? People with something useful to add. Screaming over Matt Murray (or whoever) because Andre Gray hit the post against West Brom ain't that. If that's Alex Scott or Micah Richards, great (I think they're both more insightful than those leaving), if not then as long as they're decent pundits I literally couldn't give a fig as to who it is.

What's more concerning are the assumptions being made with literally no facts (as usual) to dive into a nasty race debate.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have to admit, SO much of the old panel was just a boys club that only know about their club or the top six. I won't miss Thompson, Le Tiss or Nicholas at all. In regards to the the level they played, yes it was to a high level but it's a completely different game at the top now to what it was in the 80's with Thompson and Nicholas, and as for Matt "used to eat cheeseburgers on the way to training" Le Tissier, come on, none of these players are inside the modern top level game - They're just men who played the game before it became the machine it is today.

Regarding who comes in, you know what might make a change? People with something useful to add. Screaming over Matt Murray (or whoever) because Andre Gray hit the post against West Brom ain't that. If that's Alex Scott or Micah Richards, great (I think they're both more insightful than those leaving), if not then as long as they're decent pundits I literally couldn't give a fig as to who it is.

What's more concerning are the assumptions being made with literally no facts (as usual) to dive into a nasty race debate.

True. Micah Richards should be a shoe in tbh, he's not a half bad pundit and should keep the spirit of fun about the show going.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Good lord, an upset gammon if I ever saw one.

These lower league players are usually playing, hence why it’s full of retired players and if they’re retired they usually have a business as they can’t retire on what they earn
Alex Scott is 1 of the best and most knowledgeable pundits around and I’m all for having her on.

Or maybe just someone expressing a view that you don't agree with.

Lower league players usually playing on a Sunday afternoon and a Monday night are they? I acknowledge they are on a Saturday afternoon, but I included Super Sunday / MNF / UCL coverage in my 'why don't sky invite lower league players on such coverage? Why do you think lower league players are never on SS / MNF?

You are entitled to your opinion re Alex Scott. Are you not saying it because it's the 'in' thing to say and that if say Alan Shearer said word for word what she said you wouln't call him one of the most knowledgeable pundits around?

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
39 of the 59 posts made by Lego Stand on this forum have been in this thread. We get it, cheers. Your un-nuanced opinions are very clear and you've expressed yourself clearly and concisely. And repeatedly.

If 39 out of my 59 posts were singing the praises of Alex Scott and Sue Smith and celebrating the fact sky had sacked CN and Le Tiss and I was advocating a more diverse mix on SS you wouldn't have an issue with the repetition.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Out of interest, what would be your view on a female anchor replacing Jeff Stelling? His role isn't dependent on having played the game at a professional level.

Right what you want and expect me to say is 'I don't want no bird anchoring the show it should be a bloke' meaning you can jump on your oh so woke high horse (and others) and go to town on me, however really sorry to disappoint you but my take is:

It would be very difficult to replace Jeff Stelling regardless of the gender of the replacement but if a female was appointed and she anchored the show well I would be happy with that. I think Kelly Cates anchors the SS coverage well.

So sorry to disappoint you.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Glad Jeff Stelling stuck around for a bit longer but the new line up is going to take a bit of getting used to... feels like the humour is missing

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Right what you want and expect me to say is 'I don't want no bird anchoring the show it should be a bloke' meaning you can jump on your oh so woke high horse (and others) and go to town on me, however really sorry to disappoint you but my take is:

It would be very difficult to replace Jeff Stelling regardless of the gender of the replacement but if a female was appointed and she anchored the show well I would be happy with that. I think Kelly Cates anchors the SS coverage well.

I had no agenda. It was just a question.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

You seem very angry.

Perhaps a trip to the beach would help you to chill out a bit, you might even see a seagull or two.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Gabby Agbonlahor on this week, looks like only Clinton Morrison and Sue Smith keep their slots from last week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here