Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soccer Saturday - Biased punditry

Merson is employed as the panel dim wit who everyone else can laugh at. The rest are just a bunch of bores. Certainly needs a refresh with some new faces who we can then get fed up with in a years time. I must say that although Stelling is a good anchorman his juvenile exuberance over his own teams fortunes yesterday did get rather wearing.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Merson is employed as the panel dim wit who everyone else can laugh at. The rest are just a bunch of bores. Certainly needs a refresh with some new faces who we can then get fed up with in a years time. I must say that although Stelling is a good anchorman his juvenile exuberance over his own teams fortunes yesterday did get rather wearing.

Have to agree with that, and agree about that smug tw@t Salako

ThePolishJig

Mar 21, 2013
I love their reactions, always watch it when I'm not watching Brighton!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
While I don't mind the bias in the punditry, I do mind it in the commentary. Whose idea was it to have Niall Quinn do the commentating in the Newcastle Sunderland match his morning? His penalty claims are ridiculous.even when it's clearly not a penalty he says "I've seen 'em given" as if it could or should have been.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
No complaints from me. It's always going to be a bit of an old boys club.

Charlie Nicholas repeatedly saying the word "situation" in his Scottish accent makes me :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
While I don't mind the bias in the punditry, I do mind it in the commentary. Whose idea was it to have Niall Quinn do the commentating in the Newcastle Sunderland match his morning? His penalty claims are ridiculous.even when it's clearly not a penalty he says "I've seen 'em given" as if it could or should have been.

The biased Quinn is boring me to tears today, with either his banal or so one-sided comments.
Even when when giving his 'expert' views on non-Sunderland games, he is just so dull.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Was about to make a new thread on this.

After their goal his voice had gone. Probably muted his mic.

So biased its a joke. Hope Newcastle score in last minute.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Was about to make a new thread on this.

After their goal his voice had gone. Probably muted his mic.

So biased its a joke. Hope Newcastle score in last minute.

I've been saying it all match too - Mr Sunderland.

Saying that, I thought Gary Neville did the Manchester derby superbly. You know he's United and you know where his loyalty is, but he's man enough to talk without bias and without his United hat on. I've got a lot of time and respect for him as a man - who'd have thought ANYONE would say that?! Despicable player but decent bloke. And won his court case against United for his business interests...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Saying that, I thought Gary Neville did the Manchester derby superbly. You know he's United and you know where his loyalty is, but he's man enough to talk without bias and without his United hat on. I've got a lot of time and respect for him as a man - who'd have thought ANYONE would say that?! Despicable player but decent bloke. And won his court case against United for his business interests...

Agree with all of that.

Gary Neville has been a revelation on Sky Sports, I assumed he would be so United biased on an already United biased station, but actually he talks a great deal of sense, has some great technical and tactical insight and is really interesting to listen to. When he was slating Phil for getting booked for diving earlier this season it was pretty funny.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Agree totally.

Neville came across as a tw*t when with ManU, but is first class as a expert. Totally unbiased and truly is an expert on the modern game.
Part of a great Sky team with the classy Souness, Tyler, Hoddle and Gullit.

The opposite end of the spectrum from wheeling in amateurish, biased, and out of touch Quinn for the derby.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It's become a bit tired this season, nothing worse than the same old gags being endlessly repeated time after time. Especially when they weren't that funny in the first place

You'd be the expert there.

Totally agree with the comments on Niall Quinn's commentary earlier today as well - absolutely ridiculously biased.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can't stand Phil Thompson's views when it comes to Liverpool, far too blinkered and entirely lacking in humour.

Le Tissier, Stelling etc. aren't exactly lacking in bias but they tend to be far more good humoured about it, making it far more acceptable.

Oh and of course, nothing to do with bias but Kamara's a tool.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like the guys in the studio. Their bias is not denied and so I don't see a problem with it, I'm much more offended by those ex-palace players reporting on brighton games as if they're neutral when they are patently not.

This also annoys me, do they have ex Albion players smugly covering Palace games ?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
When Andy Gray was still with sky, the 'experts' used to have to slip him a few quid to get on the soccer Saturday panel. Allegedly.

Le Tissier is a knob, the rest are just about bearable.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
When Andy Gray was still with sky, the 'experts' used to have to slip him a few quid to get on the soccer Saturday panel. Allegedly.

Le Tissier is a knob, the rest are just about bearable.

You don't believe that, do you? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here