So who we signing next?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
from the argus website

Poyet: Hunt for strikers will be tough

Gus Poyet admits he faces his toughest battle of the summer to bring in new firepower.

The Albion boss wants two more strikers on board in time for the Championship kick-off to compete for places with Ashley Barnes and new boy Will Hoskins.

Crystal Palace yesterday confirmed the arrival of Glenn Murray at Selhurst Park on a three-year contract after a deal was struck at the weekend.

Poyet, who was unwilling to satisfy out-of-contract Murray’s wage demands during negotiations dating back to last summer, admitted: “I always say it is very important to get the strikers in because they are the most difficult.

“You get them in as soon as possible. Of course you do the deals you can but I like to get strikers in first.”

Ideally Poyet would like to sign players who, like Hoskins, have Championship experience.

Asked what was required in the second tier, he replied: “Quality, quality, quality.

“You’re playing against better defenders, stronger defenders, quicker defenders, better teams, better managers.”

Poyet has challenged Jamie Smith to regain the form which made him an early-season success last year and add to his attacking midfield options.

The former Crystal Palace youngster was lively in the pre-season friendly against Aberdeen and the opening day success at Swindon. However, he quickly slipped out of the first-team reckoning and was sidelined by a fractured metatarsal towards the end of the season.

Now he has agreed a six-month deal and been urged to turn it into something more long-term.

The Albion boss said: "He is a very good footballer. Everybody was surprised when I complimented him at the start of last season when he had not been playing before.

"Then he sort of disappeared. I know he was injured for some of that.

"We would like him to get back to what he was doing. He knows me and what I want to do."

Poyet will keep his word and buy 2 good new strikers on top of Hoskins.
They have bags of cash, and new players have the chance to play for Gus and in the amazing stadium.
Unfortunately for us, all secret until signed on the dotted line.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Someone who hasn't been named on this thread and who probably hasn't even occured to us as a possibility. That's the usual Gus way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Son has just told me one of his customers. who is supposedly ITK, who isnt these days, told him the reason Murray wouldnt sign was because the striker Gus has lined up to sign would be an automatic choice and he would be on the bench virtually every game. Apparently as soon as he heard who it was he said that he wouldnt be signing for us again. We shall just have to wait and see but could possibly be an interesting signing, the chap didnt tell him any names

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I think its pretty obvious that one of the strikers will be a 6ft (at least) hold up player, in the mould of Murray or Wood (but hopefully capable of holding the ball up). Somebody who I think is perfect for the bill would be Chris Iwelumo, but there's a number of players who i'd say are in within our capability. Jon Stead, Rob Hulse, Paul Gallagher (won't get a game next season as Leicester will spend a fortune).

Heidar Helguson and Danny Shittu both look like being released from QPR, both would be great additions.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think its pretty obvious that one of the strikers will be a 6ft (at least) hold up player, in the mould of Murray or Wood (but hopefully capable of holding the ball up). Somebody who I think is perfect for the bill would be Chris Iwelumo, but there's a number of players who i'd say are in within our capability. Jon Stead, Rob Hulse, Paul Gallagher (won't get a game next season as Leicester will spend a fortune).

Heidar Helguson and Danny Shittu both look like being released from QPR, both would be great additions.
I'd have him back in a shot. I love his attitude.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

I agree completely, although I don't think we should rule out Gus aiming a tad higher than Rob Hulse, for example - a good player, yes, but I think his best years are behind him.

Iwelumo and Gallagher are great shouts, and Shittu would be an IMMENSE signing and would complement our current defenders perfectly with his power and pace.

Just been reading transfer-rumours.co.uk as i always do for a bit of laugh and a pretty realistic target appeared, Paul Gallagher might be part of the summer clear out from Leicester and someone is saying he's going to us for £600,000.

I'm obviously aware it's a rumour sight but I just think it would be a great signing to make, much cheaper than Boyd (about same level) and I think can play upfront.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that we do not sign Shittu as his name describes his ability and play. I think that he is a donkey and just a big lump that couldnt play the football that El Abd and Greer produce from the back.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Just been reading transfer-rumours.co.uk as i always do for a bit of laugh and a pretty realistic target appeared, Paul Gallagher might be part of the summer clear out from Leicester and someone is saying he's going to us for £600,000.

I'm obviously aware it's a rumour sight but I just think it would be a great signing to make, much cheaper than Boyd (about same level) and I think can play upfront.

Gallagher usually plays up top for Leicester, 10 goals this season so ain't bad going. We certainly need someone with a bit of presence up top, as i said Chris Iwelumo is perfect but can't see Burnley letting him go. Leicester will be overloaded on strikers next season, they seem to have tonnes of cash to splash about.

As for Shittu, every time i've seen him play, he's been an absolute man mountain, and has even played in the Premier league.
If you said 2 or 3 years ago El - abd would be one of, if not the best ball playing center halves in league one most people would've laughed at you. I think Shittu would be a great option.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Just a thought, what about Stephen Thomson from Burnley, experienced with premier league, 6'2" goal ratio of 1 in 3 and a free agent, don't know about his wage demands but maybe worth a look and Gus did say he was looking for a proven premier or championship player, as I say, just a thought

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
I had hoped this would turn into the who are we actually in talks with/likely to sign thread. Seems all NSC threads just turn into pure speculation instead.

Oh well, guess that means nothing is happening!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I had hoped this would turn into the who are we actually in talks with/likely to sign thread. Seems all NSC threads just turn into pure speculation instead.

Oh well, guess that means nothing is happening!

What do you mean? BG, above, said that his son said that one of his customers said that Murray didn't sign because Gus had lined up an as-yet-unnamed replacement, thereby causing Murray's exit.

So you can say for certain that a guy on the internet said that his son said that an ITK customer said that Murray said that Gus said that he has lined up a striker (name unknown).

And you call that pure speculation?

PS. Not intending to take the pee out of you, BG - all gossip welcome as far as I'm concerned; but it's a nice example of the sort of information we are all dealing with!

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
I heard someone in the pub say that he had seen Michael Owen turn his light on, 'light on' almost rhymes with 'Brighton' so I think its nailed on that Owen is going to sign on a 5 year contract tomorrow.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
was told that lualua was close to being signed, from someone who knows poyets accountant, probably bullshit but i thought id post it in case it comes true!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Son has just told me one of his customers. who is supposedly ITK, who isnt these days, told him the reason Murray wouldnt sign was because the striker Gus has lined up to sign would be an automatic choice and he would be on the bench virtually every game. Apparently as soon as he heard who it was he said that he wouldnt be signing for us again. We shall just have to wait and see but could possibly be an interesting signing, the chap didnt tell him any names

If this were true...... what a double whammy. not only a brilliant striker......
but also the new arrival (who would've relegated Muzza to the bench) is NOT going to be Chris Wood.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I hope that we do not sign Shittu as his name describes his ability and play. I think that he is a donkey and just a big lump that couldnt play the football that El Abd and Greer produce from the back.
exactly - he's a dirty bastard because he lacks skill

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Big Chris would be a great signing :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports