Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So, who is next in the pipeline??

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah I think anyone who has written off Gilmour has been a bit hasty. As said above he's obviously very popular around the club and that often counts for a lot. He also definitely has the skillset to contribute in an RDZ team. I'm excited what he can do next season. We know how highly thought of he was at Chelsea and I don't think the Norwich loan or his limited contribution for us indicates a player overrated, just needs to find his role in this team.
Agree that Enciso still has some way to go to not be included in anything other than 'players with potenial'. A couple of (albeit decent) long range efforts off the bench isn't really contributing a great deal beyond the Hollywood nature of it.
Hinsh JR is definitely one who could leapfrog a lot of the others. See he's in the England U18 squad this week. At his age he could easily grow a couple of inches up and out over the summer (remember those kids that suddenly become giants after the school summer holidays) and that plus his position (DM) would give him a very good chance of some serious minutes despite his age.
It's exciting. Realistically there's probably 6 - 10 players who are either on loan or having limited minutes who could be next season's Ferguson but it's important to remember that most young players won't make it to the level we are currently at- we've moved on very quickly over the last few years.
I also think this summer could be one where we buy 2 or 3 slightly more first team ready players (a left footed Veltman, younger Gross, younger Lallana the dream) so pathway becomes even trickier.
Be very interesting to see what happens with Jenks, Weir and Leonard who've shown genuine class, but if we've moved beyond the level of the likes of Alzate it seems very unlikely they will make a genuine contribution here over the next season or two.
Really wouldn't be surprised to see Rushworth very seriously looked at over the summer.
It's a bit of a lottery. Exciting though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As we know, there are known knowns; there are players we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some players we do not know.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would be great to see Gilmour flourish. That would have the Chelsea fans gnashing their teeth again, especially as there's no buy-back clause.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Completely agree with this. Gilmour seems to be settling well off the pitch and that hopefully means a strong foundation to kick on next season (and win his second piece of European silverware...) Also lets not forget Colombian international Steven Alzate - think he's going to have an interesting season next year under RDZ.
Gilmour's passing is great, as the stats indicate. His tackling/intercepting is less good I think. I do wonder how Alzate gets on with RdZ or, better, RdZ gets on with Alzate. As with Gilmour, think his tackling/intercepting might not be quite up to it, and is light years behind Biss/Caicedo, but he also had a bad habit of giving the ball away once in dangerous positions (that was regularly exploited by the opposition). That said, his short passing and ability to turn and calmness in tight spaces are features that RdZ values in CMs.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think the leading candidates have all been mentioned on this thread: Rushworth, Turns, Moran, Koslowski, Adingra, Gilmour, Alzate, Ayari.
If even half of those make it, we'll be doing just fine.

Stumpy Tim

Completely agree with this. Gilmour seems to be settling well off the pitch and that hopefully means a strong foundation to kick on next season (and win his second piece of European silverware...) Also lets not forget Colombian international Steven Alzate - think he's going to have an interesting season next year under RDZ.
Alzate is an interesting one. He always played deep under Potter, but so did Lallana... I see Alzate as someone who could play the Lallana role under RDZ. He's very good on the call, and could be a great link-up player.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Alzate is an interesting one. He always played deep under Potter, but so did Lallana... I see Alzate as someone who could play the Lallana role under RDZ. He's very good on the call, and could be a great link-up player.
Agree on Alzate. To me he's always looked very tidy, but Potter seemed not to trust him towards the end.

But his attributes seem perfect for RDZ, can play out of tight spaces and has an eye for a vertical forward pass

It's next season or never for him with us.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Does anyone have any knowledge about Rushworth's ability with the ball at his feet and his distribution?
Making saves isn't enough to be a top Premier League keeper these days, especially under De Zerbi.
There was an episode of Albion Unlimited about a month ago, where they spoke to the BBC Lincoln correspondent who was asked this directly. The correspondent, made a comment along the lines that he is primarily a shot stopper at this point.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
I've been following Marc Leonard's progress at Northampton Town. Most games he seems to be running the show with rave supporter reviews. Been a starter in a rough tough league so in my opinion a real prospect thriving in our pipeline of talent. I was surprised not to see him named in a Scotland squad.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whether any of the names mentioned get the chance to be the next constantly transfer linked player will depend on which, if any, European competition we qualify for, and which players we lose in the summer.
Personally I have high hopes for Alzate under De Zerbi.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Yes, Barrington looks a prospect.
Don’t forget Sima at Angers.
Bottom of the French first division but scoring the odd goal.
Remember that Caicedo was at bottom of the table Beerscott before his recall.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
30+ posts and not one mention of van Heckle.
I must have missed the thread which confirms he is rubbish and being sold.
Assuming we don't acquire Colwill, Van Heckle will be a break out star next season

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
30+ posts and not one mention of van Heckle.
I must have missed the thread which confirms he is rubbish and being sold.
Assuming we don't acquire Colwill, Van Heckle will be a break out star next season
It would help your argument if you spelled his name correctly.

I wasn’t really counting van Hecke as he’s already in the first team squad.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hinsh. Has been on the bench a few times now. Get the impression he may break through next season.

Yoda

English & European
Still have high hopes for Enciso, Buonanotte, Sarmiento & Ayari from the small glimpses we have seen of them in the first team. Adringa looking good from his loan spell so far too.
Not sure why but I always get nervous when van Hecke comes on. Suppose it's because it's he play in a position where if a mistake is made (and young players seem to make them more) then we will be punished by it.
Think Gilmour will have to wait until someone pays stupid money for Caicedo, but is a ready made replacement based on some of his performances for Chelsea & Scotland (Norwich was a disaster for him and I doubt we'd have got him so cheap if it hadn't).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here