Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who are these 'fan groups'?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So are you saying we SHOULD have homophobia in football because without it all we would be left with is a series of swear words?!
Doesn't really say much for the intelligence of football fans does it?!

The irony is that the 'we can see you holding hands' and 'does your bf know you're here' chants are vaguely humorous (though tedious) and don't cause most of us any real offence.

You haven't answered my questions from earlier. Do you consider those two expressions to be homophobic?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I personally have no views on gay people one way or the other and I just ignore the chants and think is that the best you can think of. I am sure that is the view of the vast majority as opposed to being upset by the chants. I certainly dont need Liz Costa to speak on my behalf as per Bright FM this morning.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
You haven't answered my questions from earlier. Do you consider those two expressions to be homophobic?

I've already said quite clearly in my original post that I don't have a problem with those chants but the underlying premise is undoubtedly homophobic/ anti-gay or whatever you want to call it - but I accept the banter so can laugh it off!

You personally KNOW perfectly well that it is not aimed at women asking about their boyfriend or holding hands with him and THAT is why your comment is ridiculous and with respect totally irrelevant to the debate!!!

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
The report about homophobic abuse has been rehashed by BBC Southeast this morning. It was claimed that Albion fans have been 'victims' of anti-gay chants from opposition supporters in around 50% of matches this season, personally I would of expected this figure to be higher. Anyway, it was also stated that two seperate fans groups would be handing a report of their findings over to the FA today.

My question is, just who are these fan groups? They seem very reluctant to step forward and speak up about their findings publicly, why? And why are the BBC promoting the views of an anonomouus group of people, whilst at the same time failing to air the opposing opinion from what appears to be the majority of Albion fans that it is not a major issue?

This and this.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've already said quite clearly in my original post that I don't have a problem with those chants but the underlying premise is undoubtedly homophobic/ anti-gay or whatever you want to call it - but I accept the banter so can laugh it off!

You personally KNOW perfectly well that it is not aimed at women asking about their boyfriend or holding hands with him and THAT is why your comment is ridiculous and with respect totally irrelevant to the debate!!!
I didn't ask whether you found them personally offensive, I asked whether you considered them to be homophobic. Judging by your reply the answer is 'yes', so don't you think you're being a tad hypocritical? Would you apply the same judgement to mildly racist comments?

Secondly you can't prove that it's not aimed at women! Think of the difficulty in prosecuting one of these 'homophobes', if it got to court you'd have to prove the intent. And yes a thick Bristol City fan (at the play-off final) really did walk up to my daughter and say "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" (Her full response was "Yes he does actually, does your sister know you're here?" which of course was terribly insulting as it implied he was in an incestuous relationship. They could have both been prosecuted for hate crimes!)

The judge

Sep 28, 2011
Portslade
I couldn't give a monkeys if some fans call me a bum basher or ask if my noncy partner knows where I am. Perhaps they all think I drink and dance at the Blue Oyster Bar and guess what who give's a toss if they do. For me it is all banter and just as we call Crystal Palace fans Nigels and ask if they came in their caravans do the Giro brigade get all up in arms. Of course they don't (too busy drinking white lightning and nicking handbags from old ladies), so why are we becoming precious about it all. OK, so the majority don't give a monkeys and a few do, get a life. Banter has been part of football for as long as I can remember and Brighton fans have given as much as has been given to us, it just seems to be in vogue these days to moan about homophobia. Anyway pointless rant over and time to go and book myself a rent boy.
This :clap2:

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
have we done a poll yet about the NSC attitude to the chants? Because I personally think it's banter and doesn't bother me.

EDIT - yes, here: Poll Time:

loved this from the article, citing Hull's response:

"Just four days later at Hull City's KC Stadium, a player was said to have rubbed his hands up and down his backside several times in front of Albion fans.

A Hull FC spokesman described the incident as a “misunderstanding” adding that the player's shorts fell down following a slide tackle and he pulled them up “a little too slowly”.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Wasn't it Liz Costa who said half of our fans were gay a few months ago ?

I don't need BASC speaking on my behalf on things that don't actually offend me and 95% of other Brighton fans. Perhaps the BBC will want to take the views of this group of Albion fans to show our views, but then it's a non-story. Some precious fans complaining will always be a story over some fans who don't actually care.

The more we cry wolf, the more were going to get the "abuse".

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
That point against the Hull player rubbing his hands down his backside makes an absolute mockery of the case for me - heaven help a player playing against Brighton wanting to wipe his hands or adjust his shorts ever again

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I didn't ask whether you found them personally offensive, I asked whether you considered them to be homophobic. Judging by your reply the answer is 'yes', so don't you think you're being a tad hypocritical? Would you apply the same judgement to mildly racist comments?

Secondly you can't prove that it's not aimed at women! Think of the difficulty in prosecuting one of these 'homophobes', if it got to court you'd have to prove the intent. And yes a thick Bristol City fan (at the play-off final) really did walk up to my daughter and say "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" (Her full response was "Yes he does actually, does your sister know you're here?" which of course was terribly insulting as it implied he was in an incestuous relationship. They could have both been prosecuted for hate crimes!)

Of course 'mildly racist' language would be unacceptable - as I'm sure you would agree too therefore where does that leave you with this mildly homophobic banter that you think is OK?!!

And you and I both KNOW it's NOT being aimed at women is it?! So your pedantry is pointless and as previously stated irrelevant! (One thick BC fan has no bearing on the discussion!!).

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Wasn't it Liz Costa who said half of our fans were gay a few months ago ?

I don't need BASC speaking on my behalf on things that don't actually offend me and 95% of other Brighton fans. Perhaps the BBC will want to take the views of this group of Albion fans to show our views, but then it's a non-story. Some precious fans complaining will always be a story over some fans who don't actually care.

The more we cry wolf, the more were going to get the "abuse".

Yup. All of that

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Only 1 / 10 of fans at Withdean had any interest in these groups, and their (non) representation has been further diluted by the addition of 20,000 new regulars who have no knowledge let alone interest in these self appointed busybodies.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
There is no harm in debate, but I believe that these groups will be claiming to speak for the majority of Albion fans, and that the BBC will happy to lap this up as it will fit very nicely with their own liberal left wing agenda.

Back of the net.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here