Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who are these 'fan groups'?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Careful, boys and girls. There is a serious risk that any opinion expressed on this thread might be picked up by the Argus or BBC as "representing the views of Albion fans' group, North Stand Chat".

i understand you wanting to protect the site - but the inference that certain opinions expressed, contrary to the prevailing one, can be damaging and therefore avoided, is very scary. There has been no homophobia expressed so far. Just opinions that people might be making themselves a little busy.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Indeed. It's against the law, and the FA are trying to crack down on it. You could argue if someone see's it then they have a duty to report it, like you would if you saw someone burgling a house.
It might not affect you personally but i'd suggest it reflects pretty badly on someone who get's wound up because other people have reported alleged homophobic abuse.

homosexuality was against the law within livingf memory. not all laws are morally right, or perfect. legislating against calling people names is very different from legislating against genuine discrimination or intimidation, but our society seems to be struggling with this concept.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
homosexuality was against the law within livingf memory. not all laws are morally right, or perfect. legislating against calling people names is very different from legislating against genuine discrimination or intimidation, but our society seems to be struggling with this concept.

Good post. These people who say "It's the law, therefore something must be done", would they have said the same thing when homosexuality was illegal? Or are they capable of thing for themselves?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Good post. These people who say "It's the law, therefore something must be done", would they have said the same thing when homosexuality was illegal? Or are they capable of thing for themselves?

With the majority of those that actually give a damn, they would probably be those arrested?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We don't like this (allegedly) but we're happy to label Palace fans caravan dwellers, Cardiff fans sheep shaggers, Ipswich fans whole family shaggers and the vast majority of clubs beyond Wycombe a slum dwellers. Be careful what we wish for, football is becoming a sterile environment, sometimes for the right reason and sometimes we're just too sensitive, in a season or two it'll be polite clapping or a non-aggressive frown. Homophobia needs to be removed from football and society generally, but sometimes, like with Health & Safety being used to justify corporate cost cutting, you pick on the wrong aspect, there's bigger areas than "Does your Boyfriend know you're here?"

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
WTF?!! The most ridiculous post I've read in this so-called 'debate' - we all know what they are singing about so why are you pretending otherwise?!!

I and I'm sure the majority of sensible fans don't give a monkeys about 'we can see you holding hands' or 'does your bf know you're here' but when some foul-mouthed **** (oops!)
is screaming 'do you take it up the @rse' or worse in the presence of women and kids etc then you clearly think we should all have to put up with that?!

I can see the woman in front of me cringe as her 8-yr old son asks his mum 'What are they singing about?'!!

Where do we draw the line on what's acceptable and not acceptable?

WTF?!! This is one of the most ridiculous post I've read in this so-called 'debate' !

Lets take the homophobia out of football chants. What are we left with? F**k, c**k, c**t, w****r, t****r, a******e, k**b etc etc, is that any better for little Johnny's tender ears? If you don't like the language used in football stadia don't go there, dont bang on about homophobia which neither you are your child really understand.

What are they singing about? As a parent there are many questions that have to be answered, or ignored, until a more suitable time arises, this is just another one.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Tell them no?

:thumbsup:

Does this supporters group even like football? Or do they go to matches with the sole intention of getting offended?

Mugs!

Like the ones who throw hissy fits when they're told to sit down?

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
WTF?!! This is one of the most ridiculous post I've read in this so-called 'debate' !

Lets take the homophobia out of football chants. What are we left with? F**k, c**k, c**t, w****r, t****r, a******e, k**b etc etc, is that any better for little Johnny's tender ears? If you don't like the language used in football stadia don't go there, dont bang on about homophobia which neither you are your child really understand.

What are they singing about? As a parent there are many questions that have to be answered, or ignored, until a more suitable time arises, this is just another one.

BUT THE CHILDREN!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I'm waiting for my questions to be answered I will make one other observation. It seems to be that some people are objecting, not because of any offence to the gay community, but because people said vile and unpleasant things in front of their wives and/or children. Fair enough and I completely understand, but isn't that a different debate? Effectively people are campaigning against bad language and boorish behaviour at football matches. However that sounds a bit TOO twee, even for modern fans, so saying "we're campaigning against homophobia" sounds more acceptable. Especially with the specious "It's the same as the racist chanting in the 1970s" argument thrown in.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
WTF?!! The most ridiculous post I've read in this so-called 'debate' - we all know what they are singing about so why are you pretending otherwise?!!

I and I'm sure the majority of sensible fans don't give a monkeys about 'we can see you holding hands' or 'does your bf know you're here' but when some foul-mouthed **** (oops!)
is screaming 'do you take it up the @rse' or worse in the presence of women and kids etc then you clearly think we should all have to put up with that?!

I can see the woman in front of me cringe as her 8-yr old son asks his mum 'What are they singing about?'!!

Where do we draw the line on what's acceptable and not acceptable?

Well, you've drawn it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like the ones who throw hissy fits when they're told to sit down?
Interestingly I was wondering if there is a correlation between those who support the Supporters' Club campaign and those who moan about people who stand!

Jan 30, 2008
The report about homophobic abuse has been rehashed by BBC Southeast this morning. It was claimed that Albion fans have been 'victims' of anti-gay chants from opposition supporters in around 50% of matches this season, personally I would of expected this figure to be higher. Anyway, it was also stated that two seperate fans groups would be handing a report of their findings over to the FA today.

My question is, just who are these fan groups? They seem very reluctant to step forward and speak up about their findings publicly, why? And why are the BBC promoting the views of an anonomouus group of people, whilst at the same time failing to air the opposing opinion from what appears to be the majority of Albion fans that it is not a major issue?
LIZ COSTA AND THE BOBBLE HAT BRIGADE???? SOUNDS LIKE THEIR SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF THE MINORITY IF IT IS THEM
regards
DR

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Get off my TV, Costa.
I've just had lunch

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th

So are you saying we SHOULD have homophobia in football because without it all we would be left with is a series of swear words?!
Doesn't really say much for the intelligence of football fans does it?!

The irony is that the 'we can see you holding hands' and 'does your bf know you're here' chants are vaguely humorous (though tedious) and don't cause most of us any real offence.

I don't give a monkeys about people swearing (I am the worst) but these days there are a helluva lot of very young kids in that ground and if you need to be effing and blinding if they're sitting near you then you need to take a bit of a look at yourself! Yes we want to maintain a great atmosphere but the idea that just because we are in a football ground we can swear to our hearts content is moronic!!

Whether you are intelligent or mature enough to realise it or not the best chants are the clever, witty ones that don't have to resort to 'F**k, c**k, c**t, w****r, t****r, a******e, k**b etc etc' !!

aldershot village

Jan 22, 2013
Perhap's if more player's came out the FA would do more.If there was a disabled capital of Britain and fan's sang sickening songs they would quite rightly be arrested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here