Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So who are our targets this window?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
According to some, we'll have 25 targets this season because the whole squad is SHITEHOUSE!

Ah well, it won't be long before that living-stealing agent-botherer comes along and starts Here We Go-ing to confirm who is coming/going.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
That young vlogger Luke spoke to both PB and TB at a meet up pre Arsenal game.

Aside his "new year revolutions"! Bloom says most injured players back by end of Jan and whilst he mentions January, it doesn't sound like we will doing that much if anything?

Yes, sounds like he is trying to calm down expectations for a signings, but remember he is a very good poker player. Id be happy to wait for the injured to return personally. Unfortunately we have a lot of panic stricken fans amongst us, I just think build slow and strong....unlike Chelsea.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As said previously, I would expect it to be a combination of permanents and loans. Too many permanents in could cause issues when all the injuries return.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Our entire approach is right player at the right time, regardless of what we’ve got in the squad. Fati was the perfect example of this, Veltman we tracked for years until we finally had the option for a cheap transfer, so on and so on.

We won’t “go out looking” on the market, we’ll see if any of the many, many targets we have on a radar are available at a price which matches our internal valuation based on a statistical approach and our assessment of relative value and resale potential. In other words, like every other transfer window in recent years.

If, say, Berardi’s agent indicated his player was interested in talking to us, we’d have that discussion if he fit our internal buying criteria. If the fee (fees, including player and agent, wages and contract length expectation etc) is within our parameters we’ll make a move.

But we’d have done that regardless of form, injury list or sometimes even outgoing transfers. We plan, we don’t react.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Left back is needed but Estupinian is possibly back for Spurs. Whoever we bring in is then effectively a 2nd choice if he stays fit and possibly competing with JP and Igor for the CB role. That's not a great sell for an experienced player so looking at a young up and coming again.

I think RDZ is after an experienced Centre Mid judging by his comments.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Roony Bardghji
I’m sorry, I refuse to believe this is an actual footballer and not just the result of a cat walking over your keyboard

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Left back is needed but Estupinian is possibly back for Spurs. Whoever we bring in is then effectively a 2nd choice if he stays fit and possibly competing with JP and Igor for the CB role. That's not a great sell for an experienced player so looking at a young up and coming again.

I think RDZ is after an experienced Centre Mid judging by his comments.
Where did you hear Estupiñan is so close to a return? Encouraging if so!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’m sorry, I refuse to believe this is an actual footballer and not just the result of a cat walking over your keyboard
I went for curry with some work mates last week and had one of them for a starter.

I think he's the modern-day Greg Bobkin.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
#Undav
I miss his cheeky chips over the keeper.
He's away for family reasons. We let him do that because we are good employers. Sadly we are unlikely to see him back. Personally I thought he was class.

Thanks all those of you who have posted and given me something to think about and some players to look up.

:thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As said previously, I would expect it to be a combination of permanents and loans. Too many permanents in could cause issues when all the injuries return.
The thing about being a top-half club playing in Europe is that it's very hard to get loans in that are better than what we'll already have. Most players capable of playing at this level are not going to be let go by their parent clubs.

You get some exceptions, like Fati obviously, but it's not like being in the Championship where there's a good choice of PL squad players that need game time to develop and who are an upgrade on your own reserves.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015

I know nothing about him other than linked with Liverpool and Fulham. Already played for Brazil. Looks mustard on youtube vids.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
According to some, we'll have 25 targets this season because the whole squad is SHITEHOUSE!

Ah well, it won't be long before that living-stealing agent-botherer comes along and starts Here We Go-ing to confirm who is coming/going.
Some? Do you mean the father, the son and the holy ghost of Dwayne?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very little usually happens in the January window. Would be surprised to see anyone come in.
Ulloa?
Mac Allister?

More importantly the Athletic is reporting the manager wants four in.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I've mentioned this a few times, but there have been a few years where we've made some significant signings in the January window.
Yes, but usually they are the "for the future signings", Mac, Caicedo etc, and often loaned back.

Last year it was Buonnanotte and Ayari in.
Neither made much impact (until recently for Facu)

In 2022 it was Undav (loaned back to USG) and Kozlowski
In 2021 it was Caicedo (didn't make premier League debut until March 2022). We also recalled Tau, Moder and Karbownik from loans having bought them in an earlier transfer window.
In 2020, we bought Mooy (who was already playing for us,) Lamptey (who had a few games under his belt for Chelsea) and completed the deal for Macallister, which we had tried to finalise the previous summer but failed due to work permit issues.

So in all of that it is possible to argue that Mooy was the only Premier League ready player we have bought in January over the past 4 years.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I've mentioned this a few times, but there have been a few years where we've made some significant signings in the January window.
We've got Knockaert, Anthony Knockaert.......

Whose that man from Argentina, whose that man we all adore.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, but usually they are the "for the future signings", Mac, Caicedo etc, and often loaned back.

Last year it was Buonnanotte and Ayari in.
Neither made much impact (until recently for Facu)

In 2022 it was Undav (loaned back to USG) and Kozlowski
In 2021 it was Caicedo (didn't make premier League debut until March 2022). We also recalled Tau, Moder and Karbownik from loans having bought them in an earlier transfer window.
In 2020, we bought Mooy (who was already playing for us,) Lamptey (who had a few games under his belt for Chelsea) and completed the deal for Macallister, which we had tried to finalise the previous summer but failed due to work permit issues.

So in all of that it is possible to argue that Mooy was the only Premier League ready player we have bought in January over the past 4 years.
Just because we haven't done something before it isn't safe to conclude we never will.

If we all thought the same about winning a trophy we might as well nip off and shoot ourselves.

We have never finished as high as we did last year. These are a different club now. Anything is possible. But, as always with Brighton under Bloom, we will be the last to know what it is.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We've got Knockaert, Anthony Knockaert.......

Whose that man from Argentina, whose that man we all adore.....
Sidwell, Dale Stephens, Kayal, Skalak, Lamptey, Locadia. All players that have been bought in January with intention that they'd be going straight into the senior squad at the level we were playing at at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here