Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'll take stick, but just heard.

Balotelli, 25k per week and goal bonus for 9 months, initially.

Did they actually tell you it with a straight face?! Goal bonus :lol: I think every striker automatically has a goal bonus now but that extra piece of football manager bullshit must have come to the original rumour maker at the last minute to make it ‘more realistic’ :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Excluding Murray, when have we ever bought a decent striker in the last 30 years?

what a daft thing to say. so many list already, wouldnt have been promoted from 4th to top tier without some decent strikers along the way.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Again patronising guff full of false assumptions. Who said signing has to be expensive except you?

Which one of us doesn't hear or give a shit about what TB says that you suggest?

We've sold or got rid of a lot of players, reducing our costs massively and our player numbers, we still still have well over a hundred million coming in and a positive net spend. The squad in some areas is threadbare. No other club has one front line striker + 1 rookie.

Real fans of Brighton have every right to question that massive risk as well as why we haven't yet spent £1 of the TV money, when match day revenue losses as 1 million per game (X 18 home games)

We all want a sustainable club, nobody is asking foe expensive signings, they are asking for decent cover rather than risky gambles. They are also well within their rights to ask why with 150 odd million coming in, - 18 matchaday losses, why not just a tiny bit of that isn't used as a protection to cover at least Maupay.

This is what invested fans do, you try and paint your own false narratives.

Very good post. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Very surprised if we don’t get anyone in. Not taking the young lad from Swiss league as a first team signing yet so the numbers up front are worrying. Fingers crossed there’s a gem up our sleeve, but no noise in the press... that said, there wasn’t at all with Veltman...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
you should share your knowledge with uncle tone.

NOW

I don’t need to. He is already fully aware. I do listen to what he says BTW! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Deals can be made between EFL clubs and PL clubs but no deals can be made between PL clubs or foreign sides. I think the extended window is mainly to give EFL and PL sides a chance to tie up loan deals for those younger players who haven't got moves yet, I can't see too many moves the other way as I suspect those that were going to happen, would have already happened by now, save for one or two late deals.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
You (the moaning sentiment of the 'supporters') dont want a sustainable club half as much as you want to be like all the others, just look at this 150 page thread about signing a new striker.

The tv money coming in are not some massive economic profit for the club, the vast majority of it will be spent on wages and the 10% or so remaining after that will probably be saved in case something goes terribly wrong this season (like relegation or the season getting cancelled).

Its kind of like Potter said in the Q&A this spring: "its easy to buy players, much more difficult to sell them."

Getting relegated from the PL never destroyed any club, overspending in the PL destroyed plenty. Sure its possible to do like Bolton and sign 35 year old free agents with hefty wages and no resale value and that will be all fine and dandy.. until it its not. Or to do like Swansea, ruin years and years of hard work with some high-profile signings that in the end ended up failing, because there are no guarantees in football.

TB is better than the ones in charge of teams like Bolton, Sunderland, Swansea, Portsmouth etc. The club obviously dont want to spend money it cant spend. TB doesnt want to spend money he cant spend.

I already know your response:
"I'm a real Brighton fan, I deserve to demand things".

Yeah, sure, or are you a PL fan? It happens to a lot of fans in clubs that get promoted.

Either way, its senseless emotional bollocks. Fact is that there's currently not much money and this does not change regardless of how much of a "real fan" you are.

That is by far and away the biggest load of nonsense on this thread. Total and utter rubbish.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
You (the moaning sentiment of the 'supporters') dont want a sustainable club half as much as you want to be like all the others, just look at this 150 page thread about signing a new striker.

The tv money coming in are not some massive economic profit for the club, the vast majority of it will be spent on wages and the 10% or so remaining after that will probably be saved in case something goes terribly wrong this season (like relegation or the season getting cancelled).

Its kind of like Potter said in the Q&A this spring: "its easy to buy players, much more difficult to sell them."

Getting relegated from the PL never destroyed any club, overspending in the PL destroyed plenty. Sure its possible to do like Bolton and sign 35 year old free agents with hefty wages and no resale value and that will be all fine and dandy.. until it its not. Or to do like Swansea, ruin years and years of hard work with some high-profile signings that in the end ended up failing, because there are no guarantees in football.

TB is better than the ones in charge of teams like Bolton, Sunderland, Swansea, Portsmouth etc. The club obviously dont want to spend money it cant spend. TB doesnt want to spend money he cant spend.

Yeah, sure, or are you a PL fan? It happens to a lot of fans in clubs that get promoted.

Either way, its senseless emotional bollocks. Fact is that there's currently not much money and this does not change regardless of how much of a "real fan" you are.

Unless you have forgotten we were in for a striker for over £20m a month ago which suggests the club are quite happy we can sign someone decent and be sustainable.

We are playing in the one of the most competitive leagues in the world and our business model requires us to stay there so it’s hardly surprising the fan base are nervous that without another option up top we could find ourselves in trouble. It’s a huge gamble to expect Maupay and Connelly to stay injury and suspension free for the season.

It’s a tough and competitive market but one the club have been trying to make moves in. I am sure being top 10 and sustainable is the clubs long term ambition but given they have been heavily linked with a number of expensive strikers in this window it would suggest that like the fans they appreciate that some strengthening is required in that position.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Very surprised if we don’t get anyone in. Not taking the young lad from Swiss league as a first team signing yet so the numbers up front are worrying. Fingers crossed there’s a gem up our sleeve, but no noise in the press... that said, there wasn’t at all with Veltman...

As the Beach Boys said wouldn't it be nice if he turned out to be a gem?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I think you have the wrong club's supporters to be lecturing about club finances. Like really, just stop as it's not doing you any favours whatsoever.

There are significant funds to utilise, we missed out on our main target which would have set us back circa 25M.

The main gripe from our fans is the lack of acquisitional capabilities of our recruitment team for an obvious gaping hole in our squad. It's a valid criticism and I doubt TB is particularly happy about it either.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you have the wrong club's supporters to be lecturing about club finances. Like really, just stop as it's not doing you any favours whatsoever.

There are significant funds to utilise, we missed out on our main target which would have set us back circa 25M.

The main gripe from our fans is the lack of acquisitional capabilities of our recruitment team for an obvious gaping hole in our squad. It's a valid criticism and I doubt TB is particularly happy about it either.

According to?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Who was the main target?!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

You already know my response?

You're nauseating, and you just can't seem to help yourself making up Bollox with twisted narratives that simply don't reflect those for whom you try and pin them on.

I am a Brighton fan and STH of over 40 years and I've seen everything in that time, since when does an honest assessment that relying solely on Maupay staying fit is a dangerous gamble equate to "I'm a real fan so I can demand things" ?

If you want to BS that's ok, plenty do, but when you start believing your own crap is true you've got issues.

Again, who is talking about over spending or blowing money wastefully? A decent loan is sensible, nobody at all is not and you can make up any fairytale narratives you like, I'll stand by that as I pray Maupay stays fit and in form.

fwiw GPs statement about it being harder to sell players than to buy them, wouldn't ring so true if we hadn't bought lots of dross previously using the feted moneyball.

And whilst I'm fully aware there is little money, and most TV money is used for running costs, there was circa 25 million for Darwin Nunez. So the question isn't so much about available money but rather a rigidity to stick with moneyball, which has had plenty of fails amongst the successes.

Moneyball is both fine and sensible for sustainability reasons and as a preferred method of player acquisition, and if that what TB sees best, I trust his reasoning, but if you're going into a season with one front line striker and 1 rookie, when all around have 4 and are playing russian roulette with form/injuries in a congested fixture list, it's perfectly rational as a Brighton fan to question the wisdom of if Moneyball should always be pursued without exception, 100% of the time, even if that's at the expense of adequate striker cover.

That is not demanding anything. We have been here every step of the way in a monumental decades long fight, fight from zero to hero. It meant the world to thousands to get here, those same thousands care deeply about staying here, having fought for years to do so (and we know TB does too). We're interested in every small detail of the club we love.

It's not just mere information on a random message board we decided to join.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
You have to congratulate him for it, it’s an incredible piece of work.

He's absolutely correct. While we might be able to afford 20 million, what we can't do (or we're not willing to do) is pay the wages a top striker costs.

How much better is Callum Wilson than what we have already? How about Ollie Watkins?

This season we've played some amazing footy, scored an average of two goals a game. Yes, we've made some silly errors. Yes, we've been naive at times. But we held are own against Chelsea, losing to a wonder goal and deflection. We outplayed Newcastle away, and won 3-0. We outplayed man utd and got exceptionally unlucky. We came up against a better team in Everton (top three at the end of the season).

Some of the stuff on here is embarrassing.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby

the problem is that circumstances have changed since we were reported willing to splash £25mil .... no fans for a possible 6 months and more than likely a big bill to pay as refunds for TV money again .... maybe , just maybe that £25mil is now ring fenced to cover increasing cost of debts this season

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
the problem is that circumstances have changed since we were reported willing to splash £25mil .... no fans for a possible 6 months and more than likely a big bill to pay as refunds for TV money again .... maybe , just maybe that £25mil is now ring fenced to cover increasing cost of debts this season

Whilst there is undoubtedly a new level of caution, no fans for the whole season had already been budgeted for.

There is also a price for relegation, a heavy one. We are not equipped enough, that is a glaring fact. Are we just going to continue to blame the state of the economy, or perhaps assess the people in charge of providing an array of options in our squad to maximise the chances of remaining on the gravy train?

I know which one TB will be doing if we have the same squad in ~24hours.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Whilst nobody knows I'd very much doubt that hypothesis.

With such a transient and fast moving picture re covid, especially moving towards winter, I'd expect the club will have a conservative worse case scenario for its planning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here