Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Maybe Potter is very pleased with the way last years forwards have come on and decided we don’t need anyone. I see no problem with starting with what we’ve got and seeing what happens for a few games. Still plenty of time to get someone in if not.

All I see is lots of bang average players being panic bought into teams for far too much money

Maybe Potter isn't happy to go with just what he has, but as "head coach" he has to take what he's given, can't do anything more than work with whats given by Bloom, Ashworth and Winstanley.

And trotting out the accompanying "happy with what we have" is part of his media facing job description...... it's a well aged Albion PR spin relative to a lack of signings outside of a gaffers control.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Maybe Potter is very pleased with the way last years forwards have come on and decided we don’t need anyone. I see no problem with starting with what we’ve got and seeing what happens for a few games. Still plenty of time to get someone in if not.

This is exactly what he has been saying.Why so many people are wetting themselves is beyond me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This situation reminds me of the time back in 2002 when we were on the eve of a new season and at a Fans Forum at Worthing FC. My mate asked Dick Knight why we hadn't signed a striker over the summer because we were lacking up front. Dick Knight replied that if my mate wasn't happy with Bobby Zamora then he was a hard man to please.

Zamora then got injured in the third match, we lost that game and the next 11, and got relegated. I believe our other Championship strikers at that time were Gary Hart, Chris McPhee and Dan Marney.

Moral of the story - never go into the season with only two recognised strikers.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Potter can and no doubt will go with just the two until nearer the end of the window. We are going to have to take the chance on getting close to the end of the window in the hope that we become a more attractive option and clubs lower their demands as the prospect of losing out till January looms. Given how many clubs are struggling due to COVID its likely that some better priced options will become available and we might, might get someone far better as a result...

Then again we might be screwed, fun init?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Maybe Potter isn't happy to go with just what he has, but as "head coach" he has to take what he's given, can't do anything more than work with whats given by Bloom, Ashworth and Winstanley.

And trotting out the accompanying "happy with what we have" is part of his media facing job description...... it's a well aged Albion PR spin relative to a lack of signings outside of a gaffers control.

[tweet]1305480176269242368[/tweet]

Just saying like :shrug:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
The suggestion that the club's recruitment team are not 'doing any work', because they haven't got in a £40m striker, early in the window, is so ridiculous.

There are two Heads of Recruitment, at different PL clubs, trying to sign a striker.

One has been told "Go and get us a striker who will guarantee 20 PL goals, and who has experience in the Champions League. Spend absolutely whatever you like, and offer £200k/week in wages"

The other has been told "Go and find us a striker for £25m absolute tops, who will improve our starting eleven, who will agree to play for a club not in European competition, who wants no more than £50k per week, and who is young enough to guarantee good resale value, three years down the line".

Which Head of Recruitment do people think has to work harder to get their target? :shrug:

This with bells on!

Any £25 million striker has to improve our starting eleven.Our days of buying squad players should be over.We also should not be accepting second-best like we did with Locadia.

We should not have touched Watkins or Rodrigo with a barge-pole,especially at the romoured fees and wges.Watkins is NOT a better player than Maupay.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

All I see is lots of bang average players being panic bought into teams for far too much money

Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The suggestion that the club's recruitment team are not 'doing any work', because they haven't got in a £40m striker, early in the window, is so ridiculous.

There are two Heads of Recruitment, at different PL clubs, trying to sign a striker.

One has been told "Go and get us a striker who will guarantee 20 PL goals, and who has experience in the Champions League. Spend absolutely whatever you like, and offer £200k/week in wages"

The other has been told "Go and find us a striker for £25m absolute tops, who will improve our starting eleven, who will agree to play for a club not in European competition, who wants no more than £50k per week, and who is young enough to guarantee good resale value, three years down the line".

Which Head of Recruitment do people think has to work harder to get their target? :shrug:

There you go again with your well thought through and practical standpoint.

I don’t know if you’re aware that this thread is for idle speculation, ridiculous dreaming and outright drivelers. Have you no self awareness whatsoever? Sake.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Not sure what club you're describing here but it isn't Brighton. Potter will be having conversations daily with Ashworth/Winstanley about the progress on the gaps in his squad - which he identified a long time ago and the idea he wouldn't be happy with our targets is laughable. Even with the limited public commentary on transfer progress which Bloom has insisted on for nearly a decade, they are well known as a striker, a fullback/wingback and potentially others.
As for talking up Gyokeres or Ali J or other players - of course he should. Thats what a good Head Coach does - his job is to improve his squad and develop them. PS: He's not a "head coach" by the way. (why the quotes ??)

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not sure what club you're describing here but it isn't Brighton. Potter will be having conversations daily with Ashworth/Winstanley about the progress on the gaps in his squad - which he identified a long time ago and the idea he wouldn't be happy with our targets is laughable. Even with the limited public commentary on transfer progress which Bloom has insisted on for nearly a decade, they are well known as a striker, a fullback/wingback and potentially others.
As for talking up Gyokeres or Ali J or other players - of course he should. Thats what a good Head Coach does - his job is to improve his squad and develop them. PS: He's not a "head coach" by the way.

He isn’t the head coach ?

Who is he ?

And who is the head coach ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He isn’t the head coach ?

Who is he ?

And who is the head coach ?

Of course he's the Head Coach. I was just reminding the OP who for some reason is putting quotes around it ("head coach") implying he's just some sort of figurehead with little say over anything.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As for talking up Gyokeres or Ali J or other players - of course he should. Thats what a good Head Coach does - his job is to improve his squad and develop them. PS: He's not a "head coach" by the way. (why the quotes ??)

You've totally misread what I wrote. I didn't suggest at all Potter wouldnt be happy with any targets that he or the club may have, as far as I'm aware he has input with recruitment team into areas requiring strengthening and players to fill those areas plus the final say.

The poster I replied to stated maybe Potter is happy with just what he has (and maybe he really is?) But I also suggested maybe he isn't happy with just what we have within the club today, though for obvious reasons he could never say anything different than he is.

Head coach in quotes was a reference to the fact he's not a traditional manager (going out any getting players in himself - he is at the behest of others). I didn't realise it was an English language exam. Can I retest next Monday! I'll try harder next time, I "promise" :kiss:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
You've totally misread what I wrote. I didn't suggest at all Potter wouldnt be happy with any targets that he or the club may have, as far as I'm aware he has input with recruitment team into areas requiring strengthening and players to fill those areas plus the final say.

The poster I replied to stated maybe Potter is happy with just what he has (and maybe he really is?) But I also suggested maybe he isn't happy with just what we have within the club today, though for obvious reasons he could never say anything different than he is.

Head coach in quotes was a reference to the fact he's not a traditional manager (going out any getting players in himself - he is at the behest of others). I didn't realise it was an English language exam. Can I retest next Monday! I'll try harder next time, I "promise" :kiss:

5pm next Monday, don’t be late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Apologies then i read it as a dig at Potter and the Brighton set up which you've been highly negative about when evaluating their pursuit of players this transfer window.
But thanks for clarifying that it wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here