Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Many have left the table and taken their small pile of chips but Tony is going to the end and is after one of the big prizes.

This is the Striker that floats my boat and probably get‘s Tony, Dan and Graham to half mast too:

“BBC Sport South American expert Tim Vickery told Sky Sports last January: “He is almost like something of a throwback to the great old tradition of the English No 9 when you would whistle down a mine shaft and up would step a strapping centre-forward.

“He is fearsomely strong. Opponents almost bounce off him, he is so physically strong. He is known as ‘The Bull’. You look at him and physically, he is a bull. He is a very, very strong, powerful centre-forward with plenty of technical gifts as well.”

We should do everything to get this Bull of a man.

Maximum effort please recruitment team!

Gomez also my preferred option. 10+ goals each of last 3 seasons in a top league and exactly the sort of player we need. Will go to a ‘bigger’ club though I suspect

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
are you referring to maxi?

Yes.

Can’t stop thinking about him.

What is it about South American men in this window?

First I was obsessing over Nunez, then Maxi, and now I’m dreaming of a perverted little Ecuadorean left back.

It’s like Calleri all over again, I don’t think my nerves can take this for the next month! I just have an awful feeling that my South American love might be unrequited in each case. [emoji22]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Everton apparently interested in Maxi Gomez, so we can bin that idea too :down:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The message back to Everton was that he was not for sale. Certainly for the rumoured £13m they found in the back of their pocket and rudely slammed down on Los Che’s counter.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/everton-valencia-maxi-gomez-transfer-dismissed/

Like Dembele, Milik and perhaps Daka, certain clubs are having auctions with their star strikers. Strikers that we’d love!

Valencia need the money and will probably sell but I can’t see Gomez leaving until the end of the window. However, could be a bargain if other clubs have panicked and overspent on transfers like Watkins meaning fewer clubs will be in the market for these types of Strikers at the end of the window.

Anything lower than £25m would be great business for this Bull-Of-A-Man.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

It’s disheartening isn’t it....

I have to check myself, and remember we probably have never been in for any of the suggestions with any conviction.
I cling to the belief, the club have identified targets and are quietly working behind the scenes & BAM, KA-POW

We have our striker, and all will be well, the pitchforks and burning torches will put away until January.....

But you & I know, this is Brighton & that bam ka-pow, could turn into fizzle fizzle pop pop....

As Troy Deeney turns up....

(At the moment I’d take him:lolol:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s disheartening isn’t it....

I have to check myself, and remember we probably have never been in for any of the suggestions with any conviction.
I cling to the belief, the club have identified targets and are quietly working behind the scenes & BAM, KA-POW

We have our striker, and all will be well, the pitchforks and burning torches will put away until January.....

But you & I know, this is Brighton & that bam ka-pow, could turn into fizzle fizzle pop pop....

As Troy Deeney turns up....

(At the moment I’d take him:lolol:)

Disheartening? Nah, keep expectations low and the disappointment is minimal. I love that we are supposedly after players like Gomez and this Peruvian LB who I’d never heard of until this morning. I know we won’t get either but it’s fun to dream

We may be desperate for Deeney 30 mins before the window closes :lolol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For those thinking we are in pursuit of a striker and haven't yet read the interview with GP I suggest you pop on over to the club website and have a read. Sounds very much like Andy Nayor is correct, there is no new signing just around the corner.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1823178/potter-keen-to-develop-from-within

On the one hand:

“Rather than look for the silver bullet that’s out there, can we help [Maupay, Connolly, Trossard, Ali J] score more?”

On the other:

“But you are always looking and if we feel that there’s somebody out there that can help improve the guys here then great.”

That’s nicely hedged.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
On the one hand:

“Rather than look for the silver bullet that’s out there, can we help [Maupay, Connolly, Trossard, Ali J] score more?”

On the other:

“But you are always looking and if we feel that there’s somebody out there that can help improve the guys here then great.”

That’s nicely hedged.

Any fool knows the club are desperate for a striker but they're hardly going to shout it from the rooftops.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For those thinking we are in pursuit of a striker and haven't yet read the interview with GP I suggest you pop on over to the club website and have a read. Sounds very much like Andy Nayor is correct, there is no new signing just around the corner.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1823178/potter-keen-to-develop-from-within

My thoughts are that the clubs with bigger budgets or more need will get their players in and then we’ll pick up the scraps in October so we’re not in a hurry right now, I don’t think we need to be either.

If there is a possibility that a player like Tottenham target Milik, for example, really wants to play in the Premier League but Spurs don’t pay the £32m quoted by Napoli and sign another player, we could end up nicking him for £20m or something on the last day of the window so that he doesn’t leave the Italians on a free next year. There is value in biding our time (but a lot of frustration among certain elements of our fan base).

Tony is at the table ready for an all nighter, he’ll be the last to leave.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We deffo need to stop creating a fantasy transfer involving Milko.

He's not coming here but if we carry on pretending he might, the tidal wave of piss will engulf us all, when he sings for a realistic club.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Why? We have what we had last year and they are improving as is the midfield to feed them, I would hardly say that makes us "desperate for a striker"

We started last season with NM, AC, FA and GM. This year we're starting with 2 of them plus the unproven Gyokeres who has been linked with another loan. Of course we need another option.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Sorry mate but that reads like you get all your footy info from the Mail online. Now B'muff are gone it is 'plucky' Brighton and 'favourites to go down'.

As for your Murray comment (at least you know the name of a Brighton player) did you see him tonight? He's nearly 37, too, so his future is 'probably' behind him. He was, what is technically known as . . . . shit.

Sometimes I dispair. Do you really think the club is owned and run by morons? You remind me of the old bat in George the Chemist, where I worked in Boundary Road, Portslade, in 1972 who, whenever it got a bit chilly, anounced 'we're going into another Ice Age!'. Christ.

Have a little faith in the club, FFS.

Sorry to flame you but I'm really looking forward to the new season, and seeing the squad step up a level, and all this bedwetting is grinding my gears. But you probably 'get' that. :facepalm: :thumbsup:

Totally agree mate. A lot of our fans are totally ignorant and embarrassing. I am sure the club are working hard to find a striker who fits the mould and within budget. Makes me laugh that we just throw these names in the hat as suitable, think the club probably know a bit more than us. Be patient and I am
Sure before the end of the window, we would have improved the squad( we already have) and not broken our budget. Teams like Villa, who are a graveyard for strikers, just panic, I am sure a championship striker at 32 million is a panic buy or a big risk. Let's just wait and let the club go about their business. Let's remember we are in the middle of a crisis and we are down millions of pounds on income with no crowds, but some people expect us to spend more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
We started last season with NM, AC, FA and GM. This year we're starting with 2 of them plus the unproven Gyokeres who has been linked with another loan. Of course we need another option.

Yeah and we got rid of Andone very early, Murray only scored 1 goal, so effectively we only had Connolly and Maupay. As many have said and what Potter seems to be saying Ali J and Trossard need to step up. Or more importantly we need to use Ali J in the correct role.

As I have pointed out elsewhere, so many of you are freaking out that Murray has gone, yet the stats show Ali J was way more productive than him and yet people want us to flog him off.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Totally agree mate. A lot of our fans are totally ignorant and embarrassing. I am sure the club are working hard to find a striker who fits the mould and within budget. Makes me laugh that we just throw these names in the hat as suitable, think the club probably know a bit more than us. Be patient and I am
Sure before the end of the window, we would have improved the squad( we already have) and not broken our budget. Teams like Villa, who are a graveyard for strikers, just panic, I am sure a championship striker at 32 million is a panic buy or a big risk. Let's just wait and let the club go about their business. Let's remember we are in the middle of a crisis and we are down millions of pounds on income with no crowds, but some people expect us to spend more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah and we got rid of Andone very early, Murray only scored 1 goal, so effectively we only had Connolly and Maupay. As many have said and what Potter seems to be saying Ali J and Trossard need to step up. Or more importantly we need to use Ali J in the correct role.

As I have pointed out elsewhere, so many of you are freaking out that Murray has gone, yet the stats show Ali J was way more productive than him and yet people want us to flog him off.

Absolutely all of this. Muzza was never going to get a look-in this season so letting him go has no bearing on where we’ll end up. Sure we’re in the market for a striker - but only if he’s the right fit, at the right price. I’d rather our approach than spunking tens of millions on speculative punts from the championship, Spain, Holland or anywhere else (we’ve tried that and it didn’t work).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely all of this. Muzza was never going to get a look-in this season so letting him go has no bearing on where we’ll end up.
You wouldn't have thought that would be so hard to understand.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We definitely need another striker.

Last season we got away with it, but now we only have 1 to start and 1 on the bench ( if Gyökeres loan is confirmed ).

We are in a deep abyss if Maupay or Connolly gets injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here