Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So.. Players wise, what do we need now?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
It's obvious that we still need to replace Ulloa. That person can be a different sort of player but they must be a proven goal scorer, someone with pace and power. Someone whom we can have reasonable confidence in that they'll score the 20+ goals needed.

I agree ,the problem is so is everyone else.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
surely we MUST get an established striker in, Always needed a couple of strikers, looks like barnes and Hoskins now replaced. Just waiting for the BIG signing of the summer to happen now..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love the way some fans actually believe we will replace ulloa with a big signing:lolol:

I think you are right, unfortunately. I cant see another striker coming in with CMS, COG, Colunga & Fenelon all in the squad. Unless Fenelon goes out on loan or CMS to..............?
At least we are now in the realm of 'I wonder if we have enough?'

The answer is still likely to be 'no', but at least it's not quite so doom and gloom.

I certainly wouldn't want to be a defender against us if on 70 minutes KLL comes on from Calde and The Lung (if Youtube is to be believed) replaces Crofts.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I think you are right, unfortunately. I cant see another striker coming in with CMS, COG, Colunga & Fenelon all in the squad. Unless Fenelon goes out on loan or CMS to..............?

Let’s assess our striking options for just a few moments.
Fenelon is a highly promising prospect but no more than that at the moment and certainly not ready for the demands of regular Championship football.
COG was dropped after just two appearances. We've not seen anywhere near the best of him yet but the early evidence suggests he won't be a regular starter.
It’s great to see CMS making such an encouraging start to the season. Let's hope his early form and fitness continues.
That leaves just Adrian Colunga, our latest addition up front. Most of us have seen and heard good things about him over the past 24 hours and he looks like a decent signing but we don't know yet. But it sounds like he'll fulfil more of a Lingard type role rather than be deployed in the out-and-out striker one. And his goal scoring history is not as good as Ulloa's was before he signed from Almeria.
So then, what happens if CMS gets injured or loses form? Or if he, and COG get injured at the same time? We should all be mindful of what happened last season on that score. Or to use that horrible cliché, Colunga " takes time to settle into the English game"? Not hard to imagine those scenarios I think. Yes we could go out into the loan market like last season but that didn’t’ work out to well. Jonathan Obika?
It was obvious that Ulloa was going to leave all summer. We’re a week away from the transfer deadline. Getting a proven goal-scorer is a must.
For once, the board held out for a good fee when it sold Ulloa but I'm disappointed that we didn't have someone lined-up to replace him.
We've added some good players in the window: in particular Stockdale, Teixeira, Holla, Bennett and I hope, McCourt, but a goal-scorer is the big one. It’s the difference between a serious play-off challenge or not.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Fenelon is a highly promising prospect but no more than that at the moment and certainly not ready for the demands of regular Championship football.
COG was dropped after just two appearances. We've not seen anywhere near the best of him yet but the early evidence suggests he won't be a regular starter.
It’s great to see CMS making such an encouraging start to the season. Let's hope his early form and fitness continues.
That leaves just Adrian Colunga, our latest addition up front. Most of us have seen and heard good things about him over the past 24 hours and he looks like a decent signing but we don't know yet. But it sounds like he'll fulfil more of a Lingard type role rather than be deployed in the out-and-out striker one. And his goal scoring history is not as good as Ulloa's was before he signed from Almeria.
So then, what happens if CMS gets injured or loses form? Or if he, and COG get injured at the same time? We should all be mindful of what happened last season on that score. Or to use that horrible cliché, Colunga " takes time to settle into the English game"? Not hard to imagine those scenarios I think. Yes we could go out into the loan market like last season but that didn’t’ work out to well. Jonathan Obika?
It was obvious that Ulloa was going to leave all summer. We’re a week away from the transfer deadline. Getting a proven goal-scorer is a must.
For once, the board held out for a good fee when it sold Ulloa but I'm disappointed that we didn't have someone lined-up to replace him.
We've added some good players in the window: in particular Stockdale, Teixeira, Holla, Bennett and I hope, McCourt, but a goal-scorer is the big one. It’s the difference between a serious play-off challenge or not.

Good post and I completely agree. Whether the club agree or not is another matter. I hope so and that we will see another striker added before the end of the week.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That leaves just Adrian Colunga, our latest addition up front. Most of us have seen and heard good things about him over the past 24 hours and he looks like a decent signing but we don't know yet. But it sounds like he'll fulfil more of a Lingard type role rather than be deployed in the out-and-out striker one. And his goal scoring history is not as good as Ulloa's was before the signed from Almeria.

I wouldn't disagree with that. While we have made some decent signings and now have depth across the squad I'm not sure we have real resilience and quality up front to carry us through the whole season. Spanish Ade is a welcome addition but I'm not sure that he is the final piece in the jigsaw. CMS and COG are our only real out and out strikers. An unfortunate injury would still leave us a bit thin.

It would be a real statement of intent to sign an out and out striker during the transfer window. However the current fees for a 20 goal a season Championship striker are now getting very silly, so I feel that we are more likely to look out for a surplus Prem striker when the loan window opens. That would seem to fit in with our value for money approach to transfer business.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or to use that horrible cliché, Colunga " takes time to settle into the English game"?
I guess that'll be trotted out till Oct/Nov.

But judging by our new style of play and T'shearer clearly preferring Brighton over Brentford, it would be nice to think settling in (on the pitch) won't be too much of an issue. Not to mention help from Bruno and Calde off it.

Imagine coming from La Liga and playing for Bolton, esp if you're under 6 foot tall.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Unless someone who can improve the squad becomes available, I suspect we are set.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
i still we need a bit more height in the team , we seemed to struggle at set pieces on saturday , mind you Bolton were a team of giants , we were better when Ince came on with his hight

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So we are after a striker at least.

Choice 1 : 'Massive'
If we don't get 'Massive' : Baldock ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here