Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, Kane and Vardy are the PL top scorers......

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Hart
Clyne - Smalling - Stones - Rose
Dier - Drinkwater
Antonio - Alli - Sterling
Kane

Subs; Butland, Jagielka, Bertrand, Henderson, Barkley, Albrighton, Vardy, Rooney etc​

Antonio and Albrighton are interchangeable, but both have been fantastic this year and really need to be fighting for a place in the Starting XI, not the squad.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
To think, there was a time when Adams and Keown couldn't get in the team! What's happened to the old fashioned English centre back?!

To be fair, Smalling has been excellent this season, really matured as a player over the last 12 months.

Also why there might be a drought of good English CB's, when did England last have 3 goalkeepers as good as Hart, Butland & Forster?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The blind faith shown in some of the 'big fours' ageing players with a history of international failure behind them is one of the main reasons we struggle to move forward as a national team. Also the main reason I no longer bother with England which is a shame as we have some exciting young talent that would go to the Euros without fear.

Sadly I think we all be served up the usual rubbish from 'experienced' international players like Rooney and Milner

How depressing and probably right. I thought Rooney was competing with Glen Johnson to be our worst player in 2010 and he didn't do much more in 2014.

Stumpy Tim

This is all a waste of Internet ink as England have an absolute fraud as a manager. He must laugh himself to sleep every morning and afternoon.

The thing is, people have been saying that about every England manager I can remember. At some point the realisation must dawn that it's not the manager, we just don't have the players.

Also notice Sterling is in most people's teams - why? What's he done this season, apart from being carried by his quality team mates?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I watched the Newcastle game last night and Andros Townshend looked like he'd staggered out of Hackney marshes when he came on. If he gets anywhere near the squad based on Roys loyalty it will tell me all I need to know. Appreciate he can't take them all but...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The thing is, people have been saying that about every England manager I can remember. At some point the realisation must dawn that it's not the manager, we just don't have the players.

Also notice Sterling is in most people's teams - why? What's he done this season, apart from being carried by his quality team mates?

Sterling is being kept out the side by Navas ffs.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

He's picked up something like a combined 17 goals & assists in all competitions this season. He might not have replicated last seasons form but he's done okay this year. He also offers more end product than most of the other options. (Walcott & Ox especially)

The problem with the England squad is they have a lot of options in the wrong positions. Your only going to play one goalkeeper & on central attacking midfielder but these are two positions where we currently have the most strengths in depth with Hart, Butland, Forster & Barkley, Alli, Rooney respectively. You could also make a similar argument for us being overburdened with LB's who are all about equal ability wise with Rose, Bertrand and Cresswell. We then have much less depth in positions where you need more options such as CB & on both flanks.

My personal 23 man squad would be;

GK: Hart, Butland, Forster

LB; Rose, Bertrand
CB; Smalling, Stones, Cahill, Shawcross
RB; Clyne, (both Stones & Smalling can cover at RB)

CM; Drinkwater, Alli, Barkley, Henderson, Dier
WM; Sterling, Antonio, Albrighton, Milner

ST; Kane, Vardy, Defoe, Rooney

Sadly you know there will be a half fit Wilshere & Sturridge. So will Leighton Baines, Danny Welbeck & Phil Jones.In fact the SkyBet odds are depressingly accurate - https://www.skybet.com/football/england-specials/event/17900118

Drinkwater at 3/1, less likely than Wilshere 10/11, Shelvy 11/10 & Carrick 13/8. :(

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
4-2-3-1

Rooney plays behind Kane with Sterling and Vardy either side would be my guess....

Altho Woy is desperate to not play Vardy in my opinion and will pick Welback for that left side role....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We know we can't win an international tournament by being technically superior or by having more possession than the opposition. In order to win we have to be faster in mind and body in the danger areas, and in order to do that the front 4 have to have excellent movement with two holding midfielders behind them who can cover for full-backs, play the simple pass and keep their discipline.

A front 4 of Kane, Vardy, Sterling and Alli would be a handful for any international defence. The inclusion of the pedestrian Rooney - and all the baggage that goes with him - would negate the full effect of that front 4. In order to be devastating they'd have to be starting every match.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This

Hart, Stones, Barkley, Alli, Vardy/Kane through the spine and wrap the others round that

I hope Barkley gets plenty of game time in the forthcoming friendlies. I'm not convinced about his ball retention - to me he looks like Stevie G Mark 2, i.e. will do some brilliant stuff but will do plenty of headless chicken stuff too, playing into the hands of the top sides.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
BOUNCE!

More fuel for the idea that Kane & Vardy should start up top, Rooney on the bench if we need him :)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
We know we can't win an international tournament by being technically superior or by having more possession than the opposition. In order to win we have to be faster in mind and body in the danger areas, and in order to do that the front 4 have to have excellent movement with two holding midfielders behind them who can cover for full-backs, play the simple pass and keep their discipline.

A front 4 of Kane, Vardy, Sterling and Alli would be a handful for any international defence. The inclusion of the pedestrian Rooney - and all the baggage that goes with him - would negate the full effect of that front 4. In order to be devastating they'd have to be starting every match.

Agree with every word of this.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Sturridge, Rooney, Kane, Vardy and Welbeck. Only 4 will go. Got a horrible feeling Roy will do something stupid. Surely Kane and Vardy booked their spaces last night?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sturridge, Rooney, Kane, Vardy and Welbeck. Only 4 will go. Got a horrible feeling Roy will do something stupid. Surely Kane and Vardy booked their spaces last night?

If he still hadn't chosen them before last night this alone would show staggering incompetence and blind loyalty to players that have never proved that they deserve it.

Having said that, I think he'll pick Rooney, Sturridge, Wellbeck and Kane. He will talk about how well endowed with strikers we are, and express his sorrow for Vardy, but say that there just isn't room for him.

This will, of course, be an utterly absurd position for him to take.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Spot on this

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
This

Hart, Stones, Barkley, Alli, Vardy/Kane through the spine and wrap the others round that

Stones ? He's been at fault for about 15 goals this season. Absolutely shocking and can't even get in a shambles of a defence even at club level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here