Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So can we expect yet another apology?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think it was a penalty. If your arm isn't there you're not running or jostling properly, so its a natural position.
That would be a layman's view based on the clumsy wording of the rule, without taking into account the how the rules are to be interpreted. It's not natural for a defender to defend with their arms behind their back, but they do it because if they naturally put their hands by their side, and the ball hits them, it's often a penalty. Defenders (like high jumpers) use their arms to help them jump, but that's also not an excuse for handling the ball.

Jostling is not an excuse. If you're jostling and touch the ball, it's handball.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I have always thought it's a massive oversight in football. If a player gets a shot/header away, whatever happens after the ball hardly ever gets picked up on. Elsewhere on the pitch and it's classed as a late tackle and sanctioned. What's the difference?
Unless its Dunk, away at Derby in championship. Guy beat dunk to the ball, then made a cross, then Dunk caught him as both slid off the pitch. Penalty given.

We need to make much more of a fuss as a club to make them think over every single decision. Far too nice, it doesn't pay.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That would be a layman's view based on the clumsy wording of the rule, without taking into account the how the rules are to be interpreted. It's not natural for a defender to defend with their arms behind their back, but they do it because if they naturally put their hands by their side, and the ball hits them, it's often a penalty. Defenders (like high jumpers) use their arms to help them jump, but that's also not an excuse for handling the ball.

Jostling is not an excuse. If you're jostling and touch the ball, it's handball.
Chris Kavanagh deeming that the ball hit Pulisic’s arm as part of his normal running action.

It was hand stretching out to ball it certainly wasn't the ball coming towards his hand.

Does that mean in his view if you're running you can keep tapping the ball forwards with your hand. That statement alone tells you all you need to know about the farcical state of the PGMOL

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Didn't make the Motd or extended Sky highlights...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It was hand stretching out to ball it certainly wasn't the ball coming towards his hand.

Does that mean in his view if you're running you can keep tapping the ball forwards with your hand. That statement alone tells you all you need to know about the farcical state of the PGMOL
It really isn’t. Unless he has reflexes akin to a cat that’s just hit his arm as he’s running. It’s certainly not hand to ball

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It really isn’t. Unless he has reflexes akin to a cat that’s just hit his arm as he’s running. It’s certainly not hand to ball
Ok then what way was the ball travelling? What way was he running? The ball didn't suddenly redefine the laws of motion

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I didn’t think yesterdays was a penalty. I’ve also not seen a single commentator or pundit reference it as a controversial decision which after last week they definitely would have.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Handball could be argued that his arm only swings into the ball because Pervis jostles him. I am sure it is a foul on Ferguson though, kicks him in the midriff as he is in the air heading the ball.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Ok then what way was the ball travelling? What way was he running? The ball didn't suddenly redefine the laws of motion
They are both going the same way. Pulisic is concentrating on trying to lean into Pervis. He doesn’t know the ball is anywhere near his hand until it pretty much arrives.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It really isn’t. Unless he has reflexes akin to a cat that’s just hit his arm as he’s running.

So it's just his arm as he's running.

They are both going the same way. Pulisic is concentrating on trying to lean into Pervis.
Oh, so it's not just his arm as he's running, it's his arm trying to stop Estupinan.

If you put your arm across someone to jostle with them, and you touch the ball, it's handball.

The handball given against West Ham earlier wasn't for the defender having his arms in an especially weird position, they were in as natural a position as Pulisic.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
In my view he is reaching out across the body of Estupinan to try and get his arm/shoulder in front of Estupinan. He is seeking to gain an advantage. His arm is not in a natural position. The ball hits his arm. The referee misses it and is maybe unlighted. It's a clear error that VAR should give. I think most people who have played to any sort of standard will see what the defender is trying to do here.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Unless its Dunk, away at Derby in championship. Guy beat dunk to the ball, then made a cross, then Dunk caught him as both slid off the pitch. Penalty given.

We need to make much more of a fuss as a club to make them think over every single decision. Far too nice, it doesn't pay.
I remember that one. Think it might have been Gordon Greer but was a very odd incident.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I remember that one. Think it might have been Gordon Greer but was a very odd incident.
Yes, it was Greer. December 12 2015. Quite an eventful game; finished 2-2 as Albion extended their unbeaten league start to the season to 20 matches. It was also the match where Solly March ruptured his ACL and non-playing Connor Goldson accused a Derby fan of racial abusing him.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Yes, it was Greer. December 12 2015. Quite an eventful game; finished 2-2 as Albion extended their unbeaten league start to the season to 20 matches. It was also the match where Solly March ruptured his ACL and non-playing Connor Goldson accused a Derby fan of racial abusing him.
Jesus. My memory. Could have (of) sworn it was Dunk. Remember re Goldson too. Such a shame what happened to Derby....

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Quite how anyone can dismiss a deliberate flick of the ball with the hand as ball to hand is beyond me :shrug:
Quite how anyone can watch that and thinks it’s a deliberate handling of ball is beyond me :shrug:

Can see the potential argument around it being an ‘unnatural’ position of the arm - not that I think it is - but deliberate it certainly is not

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Quite how anyone can watch that and thinks it’s a deliberate handling of ball is beyond me :shrug:

Can see the potential argument around it being an ‘unnatural’ position of the arm - not that I think it is - but deliberate it certainly is not
When Man U were given the penalty after the final whistle, Maupey's arm was in a natural position as he was jumping to head the ball. So if Pulisic's arm was in a natural position as he was running/jostling, why was Maupey's arm in an unnatural position as he was jumping?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here