So are Reading really a better project ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've edited it because the rest of it was irrelevant to the point I wanted to make. I'll choose what I write - not you.

You seriously think I've painted Gus as an angel? Jesus wept.

My issues on this thread aren't around Gus and/or the club. They're around people who are speculating and pre-judging outcomes on the back of their belief system, painting opinion as fact. (You did it in post 294). I have stated that several times now, and it is getting tedious repeating that.

I'm not responding to your opinion-portrayed-as-fact part as it is only an opinion, and therefore of little consequence to the final outcome.

I said I cannot find any hatred of Gus in BW's comments, can you quote me a post of his which includes this hatred thing you mention.

Also my post 249 isn't speculation

But we gave him the opportunity of an out of court settlement, same as Tanno and Oatway, but he didn't take it, he ran out of time. There is no way that the club are going to change their decision now.

The trouble for Gus now is that even if he doesn't go to court, he will be constantly asked what really happened, and the thing is he cannot explain his version without mentioning the club's version. And if he tries to publicly explain what his story is and misses the truth or only gives the half truth, the club will make their version and the charges public.

He cannot publicly dispute the charges just with the “I don’t believe it was gross misconduct” without letting on what they were.

If he goes to court and it turns out that the club was wrong, which I doubt, it doesn’t automatically mean that whatever the charges are won’t be highly embarrassing for him anyway.

I think he is damned if he goes to court and damned if he doesn't.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Crikey. Glad I'm not stuck in this thread. Could have wasted a lot of my days.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Ok glad that's cleared up, and back on track now, however I have not seen any hate in BW's comments.

It seems that any opinion either way is concluded by some as Gus hater or Bloom lover.

The fact is Gus always thought he could do better than Brighton, but Bloom obviously thought he could do better than Gus.

There was only one way for this to come to a conclusion and that was that Gus goes and we get a better manager, the rest is down to Gus now.

The trouble is with everyone who just wants to paint Gus as an :angel:

There WAS more than one way for this to come to a conclusion. Gus did not need to be suspended, sacked, tarred with 'gross misconduct' and numerous 'breaches of misconduct', his name smeared and dragged through the mud. No, he could have left by 'mutual agreement', on good terms and we could get on with supporting Oscar.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There WAS more than one way for this to come to a conclusion. Gus did not need to be suspended, sacked, tarred with 'gross misconduct' and numerous 'breaches of misconduct', his name smeared and dragged through the mud. No, he could have left by 'mutual agreement', on good terms and we could get on with supporting Oscar.

Just maybe, he chose to be difficult, I can certainly imagine that he is capable of that. From his post sacking comments it appears that there were on going negotiations right up until the afternoon of the "live" sacking. This was the day before pre-season and perhaps the club decided that this was going to drag on with no confidence they were going to come to any sort of agreement. Sacking him may not have been a preferred option but there has to be a timeline given the disruption already caused.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
B.W. although i would say foaming at the mouth is a little strong but B.W. has made many anti-poyet remarks for a long time now although perhaps not on this thread.

Well there's my point, if people want to exaggerate and embellish an overreaction to a poster’s comment to try win an argument they fail to make a valid point.
BW is not foaming at his mouth and has not shown any hatred for Poyet. I haven’t even noticed any anti- Poyet mantra unless it is thought that understanding and supporting the Chairman is anti-Poyet?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I said I cannot find any hatred of Gus in BW's comments, can you quote me a post of his which includes this hatred thing you mention.

Also my post 249 isn't speculation

I haven't said anything about post 249, I said post 294.

I also haven't said anything about hatred of Gus, nor have I said he was an angel.

I'm not totally convinced you're reading the posts properly.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just maybe, he chose to be difficult, I can certainly imagine that he is capable of that. From his post sacking comments it appears that there were on going negotiations right up until the afternoon of the "live" sacking. This was the day before pre-season and perhaps the club decided that this was going to drag on with no confidence they were going to come to any sort of agreement. Sacking him may not have been a preferred option but there has to be a timeline given the disruption already caused.

This was after he was suspended. I'm saying, don't suspend him, just sack him, by mutual agreement, or just ' end of relationship, bye'. all the breaches of contract malarkey was and is a mess

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This was after he was suspended. I'm saying, don't suspend him, just sack him, by mutual agreement, or just ' end of relationship, bye'. all the breaches of contract malarkey was and is a mess

There are so many reasons he could have been suspended, for the sake of argument, tapping up players not to sign new deals as he would take them with him to the job he thought he had lined up. Then again it could be that the board were being small minded and petty and over reacting to the semi final defeat and comments. Without knowing the facts we can align ourselves to whatever scenario best suits our feelings, there is no way of knowing who was right, who was wrong and who was being a difficult dick.

I am pretty sure, in hindsight, given a time machine this could well have been sorted quickly and reasonably amicably?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I haven't said anything about post 249, I said post 294.

I also haven't said anything about hatred of Gus, nor have I said he was an angel.

I'm not totally convinced you're reading the posts properly.

It's in the comment SULLY COULDNT SHOOT post 299, in the context of refering to BW. Quote; On one hand we have one person who is almost foaming at the mouth in his hatred of Poyet....... END QUOTE

There are four or five posters moaning at BW in the same vain so I am answering to all. We could go on all day about who said what, but you are singing from the same page.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's in the comment SULLY COULDNT SHOOT post 299, in the context of refering to BW. Quote; On one hand we have one person who is almost foaming at the mouth in his hatred of Poyet....... END QUOTE

There are four or five posters moaning at BW in the same vain so I am answering to all. We could go on all day about who said what, but you are singing from the same page.

It's hard to know where to start with that.

You admit it's someone else who posted about 'hatred of Gus', but because you can't differentiate between the various points being made, you've implied it's a sentiment I agree with (when - for the umpteenth time - I haven't offered an opinion), and you're lumping all the people who disagree with your take on all this and with BW's take as being one and the same?

Outstanding. :facepalm:

'Sully Couldn't Shoot' doesn't speak for me, nor I for him.

You can answer my points from post #301 if you wish. Or not - I'm not that fussed. But so far, you've only answered points that I didn't make.

Yet you claim that Gus will win his case, even though Tony will have been advised by his presumably expensive and well qualified legal team ???

I'm sure that will the case - but we can all have an opinion whether lining expensive lawyers' pockets is money well spent by the club.

It should be remembered that Poyet will have LMA lawyers who fight cases like this all the time. It's actually quite common for clubs to sack managers and attempt to evade paying contractual obligations, wasn't Poyet sitting there with Danny Wilson on the Sky sofa their on Sunday who is in a similar situation with Sheff Utd.

Even the Swindon board settled with Di Canio rather than go to tribunal, and you will bet he will have done numerous mad things related to breach of contract.

Gus had, what, three years' money due on his contract? A reasonable settlement of that will avoid a fairly undignified circus where Gus, Bloom and Barber will all be painted in a bad light by the respective lawyers and the nation's press will happily hype it to the nth degree and make us look a laughing stock

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's not speculation - so is it reasonable to assume you believe it's fact?

Yep fact, he is damned if he goes to court and damned if he doesn't. That is the current position, and why on Sky he said he probably, maybe, will, could and hopes to take us to court.

Gus has got to weigh up the consequences of both choices and if it was that straight forward he would have said yes or no when answering a straight forward question on Sky TV.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Exactly what I was saying right at the start of the bloody fiasco and the only ones who have come out of this badly IMHO are the club
quiet word we have decided to part company if necessary pay him off (this surely would have been cheaper than barristers) in comes Oscar

everyone is happy
instead now we have factions fighting for one or the other side
whole thing is pathetic

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm sure that will the case - but we can all have an opinion whether lining expensive lawyers' pockets is money well spent by the club.

It should be remembered that Poyet will have LMA lawyers who fight cases like this all the time. It's actually quite common for clubs to sack managers and attempt to evade paying contractual obligations, wasn't Poyet sitting there with Danny Wilson on the Sky sofa their on Sunday who is in a similar situation with Sheff Utd.

Even the Swindon board settled with Di Canio rather than go to tribunal, and you will bet he will have done numerous mad things related to breach of contract.

Gus had, what, three years' money due on his contract? A reasonable settlement of that will avoid a fairly undignified circus where Gus, Bloom and Barber will all be painted in a bad light by the respective lawyers and the nation's press will happily hype it to the nth degree and make us look a laughing stock

and this too

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
You and a few others have been saying BW has been spreading Gus hate comments.

Nope. I've criticised him for him passing on his opinions as facts, which are incidentally the opinions of his 'senior source' and nothing else. If you can find where I have said that he is spreading Gus hate, do let me know.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Yep fact, he is damned if he goes to court and damned if he doesn't. That is the current position, and why on Sky he said he probably, maybe, will, could and hopes to take us to court.

Gus has got to weigh up the consequences of both choices and if it was that straight forward he would have said yes or no when answering a straight forward question on Sky TV.

What, answer questions on his entire future to a Sky Sports journalist who is doing little more than fishing? Come on, you come across as brighter than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports