Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow! Will we get any?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I love a good snow event but why do you all use European modelling stations, isn't there a reliable website in English?

The beeb seems to be to short term or not quantitative with its analysis and everything else just looks like Greek to me.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No shortage of snow here, mind you, I am in West Ontario.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I love a good snow event but why do you all use European modelling stations, isn't there a reliable website in English?

The beeb seems to be to short term or not quantitative with its analysis and everything else just looks like Greek to me.

The reason we use the French and German sites is because they interpret and display all of the available model info for free, whereas the met office don't provide the same level of info. Many uk sites do provide good info, but the 2 memtioned above are the best currently.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Blimey!

Just looked at Metcheck (not the most reliable I know) and it looks as if Southampton is going to get something HORRENDOUS next weekend.

:lolol: :lolol:

weatherl.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So,it's going to be a bit windy. I'm sure you'll survive. 250 mph. Hmmm. Maybee not. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
I thought it was ONLY OFFICIALLY a white christmas (ie one that the bookies would pay out against) if a flake of snow was recorded falling on the Met Office roof.

Which given that they have moved from Bracknell to Exeter is EVEN less likely

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?

Snow at Christmas is deep-seated in British culture, and many of us long for the likes of the scenes depicted on traditional Christmas cards and in works like Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' or 'Pickwick Papers'.

The interest in snowy Christmases has its origins in the colder climate of the period 1550-1850 when Britain was in the grip of a 'Little Ice Age'. Winters were particularly persistent and severe — 1813/14 was the last winter that a 'frost fair' was held on the River Thames in London.

For most parts of the UK, Christmas comes at the beginning of the season for snow. Wintry weather is more likely early in the deepening cold of January. White Christmases were more frequent in the 18th and 19th centuries, even more so before the change of calendar in 1752 which effectively brought Christmas day back by 12 days.

What is a white Christmas?For many a white Christmas means a complete covering of snow, ideally falling on the 25th.

However, the definition of an official white Christmas used most widely, notably by those placing and taking bets, is for a single snow flake (perhaps amongst a shower of rain and snow mixed) to be observed falling in the 24 hours of 25 December.

What a well-written and researched article you have written there, Storer. Maybe you could get your work published.

Oh....looks like you alredy have.....
Met Office: Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
To someone who doesn't understand the weather without a 4x4cm graphic of a sunshine, a black cloud, or a snowman, is this just one big error? Surely it can't go from -5 and 8mph winds, to -22 and 230mph winds over night? Or can it? ...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To someone who doesn't understand the weather without a 4x4cm graphic of a sunshine, a black cloud, or a snowman, is this just one big error? Surely it can't go from -5 and 8mph winds, to -22 and 230mph winds over night? Or can it? ...

It's very unlikely... I think Metcheck have a few gremlins in their software.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Apparently the latest forecast says that the snow is not coming :( The hopes of a white christmas have diminished.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think we may get some snow later in the week, probably on Friday, but mostly on higher ground.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
New York got it on friday, so we should get it by next weekend.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Just noticed you can get odds of 8-1 on london white christmas - netweather says 30% chance of snow. Papa L is 8-1 worth a punt ? Whats it looking like ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here