Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Snooker…. “Golden Ball”

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Can’t the Saudis come up with their own sports instead of trying to steal ours.

I am never going to go to Saudi Arabia to watch an event, it is expensive enough getting to the Amex let alone Arabia.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Can’t the Saudis come up with their own sports instead of trying to steal ours.

I am never going to go to Saudi Arabia to watch an event, it is expensive enough getting to the Amex let alone Arabia.
They tried a few but pro celebrity beheading didnt seem to take off even when they tried an overseas version.

Public flogging is well attended too but doesn't travel well (a bit that princess in the 70s/80s that ITV televised and caused a diplomatic incident).

Finally the pushing a nurse off a balcony and covering up the death due to illegal drinking had an issue with some overseas players not understanding the rules

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm sure if they throw enough money in the right direction, they'll get what they want for any sport.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Always great when someone comes up with an innovative new format and this one seems intriguing. Can't wait to watch it. My only query is why is the golden ball only worth 20 points? I'd make it worth 500 points for a maximum 647 break.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It is possible to hit a 155 in snooker (free ball as an extra red followed by a black giving an extra 8 to a 147),so just nine or ten would ensure beating that.

But anyway, suspect next step is to make the pockets bigger
I wish they would make them bigger down at the Castle Club. I'm telling you, those ones are miniscule

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The golden ball will add great drama even though it can't be potted until a 147 is achieved as it will always be on the table and if it is inadvertently potted by someone his opponent gets to decide if the frame is forfeited or he has to play the next two frames with a 25 point handicap. It can also be used to snooker your opponent and will be 10% bigger than the other balls.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They tried a few but pro celebrity beheading didnt seem to take off even when they tried an overseas version.

Public flogging is well attended too but doesn't travel well (a bit that princess in the 70s/80s that ITV televised and caused a diplomatic incident).

Finally the pushing a nurse off a balcony and covering up the death due to illegal drinking had an issue with some overseas players not understanding the rules
Stoning?

I used to get stoned regularly. 🙄

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
LIV Snooker? I guess once we allowed them to use Golf and then football for Sportswashing it was inevitably going to attempt to ruin other sports. I'm surprised they've not yet come for cricket.
To paraphrase Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters...

"If you want to sell Cricket to the Saudis, just buy a cricket pitch.

And wait..."

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I play table tennis and my balls are 2mm bigger than they used to be, so they can be seen better on tv:oops:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The golden ball will add great drama even though it can't be potted until a 147 is achieved as it will always be on the table and if it is inadvertently potted by someone his opponent gets to decide if the frame is forfeited or he has to play the next two frames with a 25 point handicap. It can also be used to snooker your opponent and will be 10% biggeer than the other balls.
Is there any tryth in the rumour that if a player pots the golden ball by mistake, it is punishable by public flogging (which would probably be PPV, or ticket-only, to make a few more Riyals out of the whole affair)?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I remember my local snooker club had a set of snooker+ balls although very rarely used. From my hazy memory I think the orange was placed mid way between brown and blue and the purple midway between blue and pink.
When the tables were recovered every 2 or 3 years, spots were marked for these balls by the firm doing the covering.
I thought the points were 8 & 9 but could well be wrong as I'm going back about 50 years!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I remember my local snooker club had a set of snooker+ balls although very rarely used. From my hazy memory I think the orange was placed mid way between brown and blue and the purple midway between blue and pink.
When the tables were recovered every 2 or 3 years, spots were marked for these balls by the firm doing the covering.
I thought the points were 8 & 9 but could well be wrong as I'm going back about 50 years!
Close!
Adding extra balls to a game of snooker isn't a new concept. In 1959, the Snooker Plus Tournament, sponsored by the News of the World and held at Burroughes Hall in London added an orange ball worth eight points and a purple ball worth 10.

The additional balls - the orange was positioned between the pink and blue, and the purple between blue and brown, from the outset of the frame - allowed a maximum break of 210.

Copied from Daily Mail..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's the effin' point anyway? If a player scores a 147 he wins the frame, end of. Another 20 points, or 200 or 2000 doesn't make any difference to that.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They should introduce an exploding red ball which goes off anytime after the break.
When it starts ticking you have 3 minutes to pot it and defuse the explosives

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The hugely exciting World Master of Snooker event beginning in Saudi today, already dubbed 'the 4th major' by the World Snooker Tour.

The innovative new format features a golden ball worth 20 bonus points which will remain on the table whilst there is the possibility of a 147 break, once this is not possible the ball will be removed. Whilst it is on the table if the ball is accidentally potted then the player potting it will either forfeit the frame or be subject to a 40 point penalty for the next 2 consecutive frames (decided by the opponent). If a 167 break is achieved the player will receive $7m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here