Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Smug Eddie

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This is good from the BBC. Some of what you say is there - and a lot of what I said too

Eddie Howe: 'Rightly hailed for his outstanding work, but not a flawless hero' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53628740

(Hat tip [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This article seems to have touched a nerve, looking at the BBC comment section. From over spending also known as cheating by 40m to get promotion to being owned by a wealthy Russian business man. It seems plucky Bournemouth don't like to hear that!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Man City anyone? Of all the clubs to have an issue with as a BHA fan...Bournemouth! Beggars belief.

Rubbish. Muff were extremely fortunate with refereeing decisions against us in the past few years. Coupled with their cheating their way from the championship whilst we adhered to FFP was incredibly annoying. Those are more than enough reasons for us to dislike the cheats. Now, let's hope they slide away into oblivion where they belong.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This article seems to have touched a nerve, looking at the BBC comment section. From over spending also known as cheating by 40m to get promotion to being owned by a wealthy Russian business man. It seems plucky Bournemouth don't like to hear that!

There is too much on an Arsenal/Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool/Spurs Bias in the Press

They have this ''How dare Clubs overspend '' in an effort to try and compete with the 5 Clubs above - FFP was brought in to stop Clubs Overspending and going out of Business - But this has been used retrospectively to try and keep the above Clubs at the Top of the Food Chain.

I don't see anything wrong with Clubs having a Wealthy Benefactor and overspending so long as if doesn't put the Club's existence in Jeopardy - They could quite easily scrap FFP and replace it with a clear statement that if Wealthy Benefactors invest in a particular Club then after say 3 years if that Loan Invested is not withdrawn in say a 36 month period then if can no longer be treated as a Loan in the Company accounts.

They won't do that because they want the Foreign money coming in - They want the money to come in but they don't want any of these Clubs to upset the Power balance of these Big Clubs.

The Media have been in total meltdown of the Arsenal/Spurs fall from Grace this year and the Man Utd meltdown in the last few years. If they don't want other Clubs to be able to compete with them they should eff off and play in a Super league with Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Paris SG and the Milan Clubs and play each other 4 time each per year.

I have no issue with Bournemouth overspending, Or any other Club for that matter so long as safeguards are in place to stop them going out of Business - FFP is not the answer because as soon as Clubs break that rule they are not willing to enforce it to any great degree. They should either enforce it by putting a Cap on Salaries and Transfer Fees but they won't do that because the Movement of Monies brings in a lot of money for the Treasuries in all of these countries.

The Media don't want these smaller Clubs to overspend but they are the first to criticise Arsenal and Spurs for keeping to a pay structure and not being able to compete on the pitch because of it this year.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Rubbish. Muff were extremely fortunate with refereeing decisions against us in the past few years. Coupled with their cheating their way from the championship whilst we adhered to FFP was incredibly annoying. Those are more than enough reasons for us to dislike the cheats. Now, let's hope they slide away into oblivion where they belong.

Lets hope you slide away into oblivion where you belong.

That long enough for you?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Man City anyone? Of all the clubs to have an issue with as a BHA fan...Bournemouth! Beggars belief.

Some of us remember how Bournemouth lorded over us in 1971, when Boyer and McDougall came a-visit. That was totally disrespetful and a slight that has fuelled a tumescent grievance ever since. Yes, the Spurs fans came to the Goldstone and mocked us by chanting 'sea weed' but Tottenham are a big club and therefore have a right to do that. Bournemouth, however, should know their place. I know some people say that Chelsea, Manchester City and United have stolen football, with breath taking shenanigans but, frankly, that is none of our business.

Super Mac.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't really get all that chat about Smug Eddie walking back into a PL job. He's just been manager of the PL team with the 12th highest wage bill and got them relegated! I'm not saying that what he's done over the years he's been there isn't impressive, but why would managers suddenly take a punt on him? Slightly different circumstances, granted, but CH is still out of management more than a year after being sacked and we didn't even go down...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Slightly different circumstances, granted, but CH is still out of management more than a year after being sacked and we didn't even go down...

I can offer one suggestion: Hughton's 62, Howe's 42. I'm not knocking CH at all, but appointing him doesn't smack of future planning.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can offer one suggestion: Hughton's 62, Howe's 42. I'm not knocking CH at all, but appointing him doesn't smack of future planning.

What is the longevity of a manager in the top 2 tiers of English football? Does any club future plan for a manager beyond a 5 year stint? If CH got them up by the time he reached 65 and retired - job well done and move on to the next manager? I’m not sure I see age being an issue in a job that rarely lasts for long.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Roy Hodgson - aged 72

... and there's talk of him moving on.

Like I said, it's only a suggestion.

Thinking about it, CH probably hasn't applied for any jobs.

What's come up in the last year? Watford? basket case. West Ham? he wouldn't want to work with the dildo brothers, Tottenham? Nice fit on the face of it but has no European experience, they'd want a big name. Arsenal? Ditto - although they took a bit of a risk with Arteta.

There haven't been any other vacancies for him to go for,

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I'd imagine CH probably has at least 8 years left in him. Other serial Huckerby Zone managers like Warnock (71), Redknapp (70 in his last job), Allardyce (currently 65), lasted long after 62. If 'Muff got CH for 5 years, he got them back up, fixed their horrendous defensive issues, and then retired leaving them to, much like us, evolve tactically, that'd be great future planning.

In short, their future planning is completely reliant on Premier League money - getting back up is necessary.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have always liked Eddie and, unlike many on here, I also like Bournemouth, having lived down there many years ago.
He did a brilliant job for the club, rather like Mullers did for us, but with knobs on.
He will have a good future in football management providing he finds the right fit. I am not so sure about Bournemouth, but I wish them well.
I would much rather have seen Villa go down.

Gutted he's left and an incredible journey but the guy was the architect of his own demise, he just went wibble in the last 18 months....

Incidentally the owner released a statement a few days ago about getting the club back to the PL, can't see it now. Despite a crap season everything behind the scenes seemed finely tuned and we thought EH was best placed to do that..clearly he didn't want it or the owner has someone else lined up.

See you guys again at some point, at least smug Eddie won't be there to torment you again unless of course he signs for the club he turned down all those years ago...you know who I mean of course.

There are people on here who have a compulsion to obsessively find people and things to hate. One of those wet lettuce bitches certainly stands out more than others on this extremist OCD spectrum, but it is good to see that they are consistent and it demonstrably says more about them.

I personally cannot knock the back to back promotions and exciting football he brought to a club with a League One stadium at best, who were punching above their weight, and who gave Elphick and Cook a well deserved career break.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Some of us remember how Bournemouth lorded over us in 1971, when Boyer and McDougall came a-visit. That was totally disrespetful and a slight that has fuelled a tumescent grievance ever since. Yes, the Spurs fans came to the Goldstone and mocked us by chanting 'sea weed' but Tottenham are a big club and therefore have a right to do that. Bournemouth, however, should know their place. I know some people say that Chelsea, Manchester City and United have stolen football, with breath taking shenanigans but, frankly, that is none of our business.

View attachment 126771

"Super Mac, super queer, how many bums have you had this year".
I know, not very PC, but it was 1971 and he deserved it just for that hairstyle, the big hairy mug!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
"Super Mac, super queer, how many bums have you had this year".
I know, not very PC, but it was 1971 and he deserved it just for that hairstyle, the big hairy mug!

Never forget MacDougall sat with his head in hands in their penalty area in front of our end when Lutton equalised in the last minute at Bournemouth in 71. Rest of the team flat on their backs. That almost ensured we could maintain the gap and get promotion instead of them. "Super Mac, super star, carries a handbag, ..........."
Also thumbs down for John Bond as well - just because he deserves it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Never forget MacDougall sat with his head in hands in their penalty area in front of our end when Lutton equalised in the last minute at Bournemouth in 71. Rest of the team flat on their backs. That almost ensured we could maintain the gap and get promotion instead of them. "Super Mac, super star, carries a handbag, ..........."
Also thumbs down for John Bond as well - just because he deserves it.

I was at that game, crammed in with all the other proverbial sardines.
No getting away from it though, MacDougall and Boyer were a pretty effective strike pair. I was living in Bournemouth at the time and saw quite a few of their games, when I wasn't driving over to the Goldstone to watch us.
As for John Bond, he was a bullshitter supreme, but nevertheless, I will always have affection for Bournemouth and don't share the schadenfraude of some on here.

Last edited:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

It’s just so out of proportion though. Some people really need to let things go, and the whole Smug Eddie thing is also absurd, Really struggle to relate. Portsmouth and I could understand it, not Bournemouth. Good luck to them and him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here