Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Smug Eddie

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think he will be chilling out for a year or so before taking a new job, must have been a pretty stressful season

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Smug knows he needs the club to spend big to stand a chance of keeping his reputation intact as "a miracle worker"

The club know they can't throw money at it again and smug isn't the right manager to knit together the sort of team that is more than the sum of its parts.

Suspect it may have been pretty mutual.

You could well be right. I just don’t think he was “sacked”, which some (not many) people seemed to imply.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No Plan B. Add to that a squad that had little depth and was funded extremely dubiously. Some of those signings as well. They paid more for Billings than we did for Mooy and as for Solanke. Badly let down by Ryan Fraser who didn’t have the stomach for the fight and was their main source of assists at various times.

Lockdown football and their games with us showed this in a nutshell. A good side when you let them play (Leicester) they were clueless if you shut them down first and then got after them (Newcastle). Our home win over them was one of the easiest games of the season, our defeat there our worst performance.

He’ll need to go somewhere with good young players, a big budget and a chairman who doesn’t mind the odd 3-0 defat to start off with in order to gain 4-2 wins later on. I don’t know that club. Bournemouth were uniquely him, and him them. The reputation he built though will mean someone will take a punt. We could be hailing Plucky Little Someone Else on these pages in a year or so or laughing at another Burnley style car crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or he'll end up back at Muff after a seasons break for Smug part 3

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
It'll be interesting to see where he goes next. He's lived virtually his entire life in or near Bournemouth. Apart from two matches at Pompey, his entire playing career was with Bournemouth, and 10 of his 12 years in management have been at Bournemouth. Not exactly well-travelled!! He seems to be someone who likes the comforts of the familiar....not much wrong with that, but his world is quite a small one.

Given location, I initially thought Bristol City could be a fit if Howe was prepared to drop down a league. However I've noticed within the last few minutes, Paul Cook is looking a likely candidate.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Bristol Press are stating a new manager is close, shortly after Howes announcement

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Does seem the most likely scenario after AFCB have signed and then binned some exotic foreign nobody that fails to conjure up some instant exotic magic results

This, comes back just in time to save them from relegation to Div 1 and thus enhance his "legend" status - medium sized fish in a large pond.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Christ. There's an extraordinary amount of bitterness on this thread. Small club, beat us a few times, boo hoo. Manager gone. :shrug:

Meanwhile, consider these stats:
Kept AFC Bournemouth in EPL for 5 years
Football League Championship winners: 2014–15
Football League One runner-up: 2012–13
Football League Two runner-up: 2009–10

And the majority posting on this thread think he was lucky, and that it was all the club's owners and nowt to do with him? Because his stay at Burnly was brief and nondescript? Many of his Bournmouth seasons were nondescript. He left Burnley for family reasons, not because he wasn't up to the job.

Good luch to the lad. He has a decent career ahead of him, and he is no Pards, Big Sam, Curbs or Souey. :shrug:

Incidentally, who was it sneering about 'muff singing Liverpool cast-offs? Let's see how Lllalllana does before we get too cocky....

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
Christ. There's an extraordinary amount of bitterness on this thread. Small club, beat us a few times, boo hoo. Manager gone. :shrug:

And the majority posting on this thread think he was lucky, and that it was all the club's owners and nowt to do with him? Because his stay at Burnly was brief and nondescript? Many of his Bournmouth seasons were nondescript. He left Burnley for family reasons, not because he wasn't up to the job.

Good luch to the lad. He has a decent career ahead of him, and he is no Pards, Big Sam, Curbs or Souey. :shrug:

Incidentally, who was it sneering about 'muff singing Liverpool cast-offs? Let's see how Lllalllana does before we get too cocky....
Agree, I think there was a fair bit of jealousy from our side in that they got to the Premier League before us and had some decent times over the first 4 seasons, as well as being something of a bogey side over the past few years. While they went over the spending limits when going up they weren't exactly in the same league as Villa etc in that respect. Makes us look a bit petty to get so worked up about Howe and Bournemouth.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Brilliantly posted. The boy done well. He’ll Now be happy to hear he’s not on your ignore list.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yep, that's exactly why revenge is sweet. To have had such a traditionally tin pot outfit Lord Mayor it over us for well over a decade hasn't been easy. This is football, not cricket or chess. I'm delighted, in part, because of previous jealousy. They are a #TeamlikeBournemouth. I'm well aware of the hypocrisy on my part and so what? All football fans are hypocrites because we tease others for their perceived failings. Leeds and Massive are the other way, Arsenal and West Ham too at times, It's the internet equivalent of singing about scousers eating cats from dustbins.

I still haven't got over Southampton cheating us in 1978 or Man United beating us in the Cup Final. So the infamous Hoops game at Withdean, never mind the 5-0 still rankles. Revenge is sweet.

And the majority posting on this thread think he was lucky, and that it was all the club's owners and nowt to do with him?

Well, talking of hypocrisy, he didn't do it all by himself did he? And their money IS as dodgy as hell. Even Harry Redknapp was on Sky the other day bemoaning their 2500 average crowds not so long ago. They're not Man City but they're not Wycombe either.

As I said this morning, no plan B. When the money had to be laundered on crap, when he couldn't use his man management skills on Fraser, when the whole league worked him out he had no answer. It's possible it may happen to Potter at some point. Managers have a sell by date just like players. He wasn't prepared to travel to Burnley and none of us know if that was just the distance from family, or if the unfamiliar surroundings, players and philosophy simply finished him off early. He might be a great coach after all, but he may be a one trick pony.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, that's exactly why revenge is sweet. To have had such a traditionally tin pot outfit Lord Mayor it over us for well over a decade hasn't been easy. This is football, not cricket or chess. I'm delighted, in part, because of previous jealousy. They are a #TeamlikeBournemouth. I'm well aware of the hypocrisy on my part and so what? Leeds and Massive are the other way, Arsenal and West Ham too at times, I still haven't got over Southampton cheating us in 1978 or Man United beating us in the Cup Final. So the infamous Hoops game at Withdean, never mind the 5-0 still rankles. Revenge is sweet.

Well, talking of hypocrisy, he didn't do it all by himself did he? And their money IS as dodgy as hell. Even Harry Redknapp was on Sky the other day bemoaning their 2500 average crowds not so long ago. They're not Man City but they're not Wycombe either.

As I said this morning, no plan B. When the money had to be laundered on crap, when he couldn't use his man management skills on Fraser, when the whole league worked him out he had no answer. It's possible it may happen to Potter at some point. Managers have a sell by date just like players. He wasn't prepared to travel to Burnley and none of us know if that was just the distance from family, or if the unfamiliar surroundings, players and philosophy simply finished him off early. He might be a great coach after all, but he may be a one trick pony.

Thank you for, again, dragging me back down to reality. Never forgive (cup final) never forget (Stains 78).

Viva hate! :lolol: :thumbsup:

But....bournemouth, though? ??? Not even worth a capital letter. :shrug:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Yep.

And could end up at the Champions of Europe once Bielsa moves to Barca

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Acknowleged breach of FFP to reach PL as they paid the fine without a wimper.
Certainly lucky in repsect of the number of penalties they got against us, I'm still not over the non penalty that was given following the clean tackle by Calderon.

Yes he did well to keep them in the Football League, and to get out of the 4th tier.

16/17 £30.63m
17/18 £30.87m
18/19 £80.19m
19/20 £47.81m

£189.5m spent on incoming transfers in the last four seasons, and no depth in squad to speak of. Also still making payments on £81m on that spending.

So maybe the plucky little Bournemouth doesn't ring true.

Well this is just another way at looking at his 'success'. His next appointment will probably give a better indication.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thank you for, again, dragging me back down to reality. Never forgive (cup final) never forget (Stains 78).

I believe us very young sexagenarians see Bournemouth as a gentle puff of wind that has blown its course.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This is good from the BBC. Some of what you say is there - and a lot of what I said too

Eddie Howe: 'Rightly hailed for his outstanding work, but not a flawless hero' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53628740

(Hat tip [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION])

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Saw on twitter that Eddie is off to manage Leeds United u23s...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here