• Drinking

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For arguments sake lets call it 10 fags a day or a bottle of wine a day

I reckon it's the fags which are worse. That said, whilst you might die quicker you will look cooler than having a glass of wine in your hand.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think a whole bottle of wine per day vs 10 fags is a fair comparison of consumption.

I'd say if you drunk a bottle of wine per day you'd be more comparable to a more heavy smoker of say 20 per day.

10 fags vs 1/2 bottle of wine, and I'd say the fags were definitely worse.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I don't drink but I smoke around 20 strong (Benson & Hedges Gold) cigarettes a day. I hardly ever cough unless I've got a cold however I'm not naive enough to believe the smoking hasn't damaged my lungs a bit over the years since I was 14, especially cannabis tar which is extremely lethal.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Most smokers i know smoke 20 a day, but i do not know anyone who will admit to drinking a bottle of wine a day.

I think the most I've encountered was somebody who was on three to four bottles of vodka a day. Usually shoplifted.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Medically speaking the fags would do you less harm. 10 fags is well within the tolerance for fumes we have evolved after a few million years sitting around in smoky caves etc. alcohol is a (relatively) recent evolutionary spanner in our works.

Utter tosh pal

Smoke from wood burning in caves is nothing like smoke inhalation from tobacco - tobacco only came to Europe in the 1500's - its the nicotine and tar that kills long term from tobacco inhalation - sure breathing in fire smoke kills in the short term but that's a different issue.

"Alcohol is a relatively recent" - alcohol has been consumed since 8000BC !!

From the UK National Statistics web-site:
In 2010 there were 8,790 alcohol-related deaths in the UK, 126 more than in 2009 (8,664)
In England in 2009 an estimated 81,400 deaths of adults aged 35 and over were attributable to smoking.

Evidence, that, long term, in the end, the fags WILL get you .....
But no evidence about whether that would be before or after the booze.

Personally, I drink a little and smoke nothing - will probably die in a road accident.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
A bottle a day is surely way too much to be hoping the benefits outweigh the negatives. A small glass of wine a day is probably fine.
But once you open the bottle it is mandated that you must drink it all or you will be damned to Hell immediately. Also, I once had a box of wine (please forgive me, I promise never to do it again) that said it would keep for 6 weeks once opened. Utter tosh, it lasted 2 nights!

Anyway, I vote fags on this one.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Unlikely to see a smoker that doesn't drink or more importantly a smoker who then analysis the health risks associated to drinking, seems a bit weird !!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm pretty sure the medical professions declare smoking as just about the worst thing one can do to ones body.

Oct 25, 2003
i'd say smoking, as even a moderate addict is doing some serious damage to the body...however drinking isn't particularly good for you either and a seriously heavy drinker is not only doing damage to the body but also there are obvious mental health implications

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I think anyone who drinks a bottle of wine a day is a moderate alcoholic and probably is ashamed or in denial of that.

I reckon a bottle of 8-9% wine a day with a meal would be great for your health continental style, the problem is that most available wines over here are up to 14% and us Brits find it hard to say no to a second bottle...

It's a myth to think that the French or Germans have a bottle of wine with every meal, the reality is that they don't, and often when they do, it is watered down (similar to a spritzer) to reduce the strength.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here