Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking ban - something I didn't consider!

That was then, this is now. The rules changed. For the better. I don't mind smokers smoking in the least. I DO mind selfish fuckers spouting bollocks about their civil liberties being eroded. Probably the same selfish fuckers who feel NOTHING about bellowing their inane crap into a mobile on a crowded train, utterly unconcerned about anybody within a ten metre radius who has to listen to their dreary drivel. It's the same sort of selfishness. And if it takes the state to stomp it out, then so be it.

:thumbsup:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Can you not spot the basic flaw in your argument?

PUB = Place that SELLS ALCOHOL

DRINKER = Person who frequents pub to BUY ALCOHOL

SMOKER IN PUB = Person who sprays smoke around in a random manner, not caring one little bit who that smoke drifts over

NON-SMOKER IN PUB = Person who frequents pub to buy alcohol and (up to last Sunday) has had to accept random strangers smoke as the way things are

Thats not my point though....

You don't own the pub though? The landlord/licensee whomever owns the pub...Why shouldn't it be up to the owner of an establishment whether its non-smoking or smoking? Why do people feel it is correct and right for the government to take this choice away from the owner of the establishment?

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I dont think people should be allowed to smoke in cars when their kids are in there. I think that's disgusting and it turns my guts to see it. Same as a pregnant woman walking down the street with a fag in her mouth!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I dont think people should be allowed to smoke in cars when their kids are in there. I think that's disgusting and it turns my guts to see it. Same as a pregnant woman walking down the street with a fag in her mouth!

Thats a pet hate of mine too - really gets my back up!

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
What he said!!

Another case of political correctness gone mad!

If you don't like smoke don't go to pubs simple as that. All you people using the second hand smoke argument what the f*** are doing in pubs in the first place?? Having half a coke???

Everything these days is supposed to be bad for us, soon we'll be being told we can't use toothpaste because it causes blindness in later life or something similar!

I'm more than capable of making my own mind up about whether I deem something to be good or bad for me thank you very much. I don't need some sandle wearing tofu eating one legged lesbian at Westminster making my mind up for me.

Smoking isn't anti social. The smoking ban IS anti social! Last Sunday I went to the pub with 3 mates who all smoke. As I mentioned previously I don't so once every half an hour or so they upsticks and went for a fag leaving me sat on my todd waiting for them to return. It certainly didn't improve my pub going experience!

If we except this then what next?? Banning booze from pubs?

But the ban doesn't just cover pubs, it also includes work places. Up until the ban people could smoke all day at my place of work, now they can't and for me its much more pleasurable to work in a smoke free enviroment

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I used to be a smoker up until last year and then I quit. Cold Turkey.

In the years when I did smoke, I never smoked in my own house or my own car because I couldn't stand the smell of it. I never smoked in a restaurant even I could have because it's not the done thing. I don't like other people smoking whilst I'm eating, so I wouldn't do it to them. It may sound strange but I preferred a smoke free environment when I smoked.

However, I lived and worked in Tokyo where you can smoke anywhere. But after a night out on the town, my clothes the next morning stank af stale cigarettes and was quite disgusting.

Now I'm in Toronto where they introduced a smoking ban in all public places, I enjoy going out to a pub, bar or restaurant and not smelling like 20 marlboro. People can still smoke, they just have to go outside to do it.

What's wrong with that.? People still have a choice as to whether they want to smoke or not. The state isn't stopping them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I used to be a smoker up until last year and then I quit. Cold Turkey.

In the years when I did smoke, I never smoked in my own house or my own car because I couldn't stand the smell of it. I never smoked in a restaurant even I could have because it's not the done thing. I don't like other people smoking whilst I'm eating, so I wouldn't do it to them. It may sound strange but I preferred a smoke free environment when I smoked.

However, I lived and worked in Tokyo where you can smoke anywhere. But after a night out on the town, my clothes the next morning stank af stale cigarettes and was quite disgusting.

Now I'm in Toronto where they introduced a smoking ban in all public places, I enjoy going out to a pub, bar or restaurant and not smelling like 20 marlboro. People can still smoke, they just have to go outside to do it.

What's wrong with that.? People still have a choice as to whether they want to smoke or not. The state isn't stopping them.

FAR too reasonable a stance. Not one SINGLE mention of civil/selfish liberties being eroded or the nanny/nazi state! :rant:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Having had many drinks in both pubs, I would just like to say that the Bridge is a much nicer pub.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Can you not spot the basic flaw in your argument?

PUB = Place that SELLS ALCOHOL

DRINKER = Person who frequents pub to BUY ALCOHOL

SMOKER IN PUB = Person who sprays smoke around in a random manner, not caring one little bit who that smoke drifts over

NON-SMOKER IN PUB = Person who frequents pub to buy alcohol and (up to last Sunday) has had to accept random strangers smoke as the way things are

Football Ground = Place where football is played

Fan = Person who frequents Football Ground to enjoy football

Singer In Football Ground = Person who shouts his mouth off in a random manner, not caring one little bit who has to hear his views.

Non Singer In Football Ground = Person who frequents football ground to enjoy football and (still) has to accept random strangers shout their mouths off as the way things are.

You see where I'm going with this cant you?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Football Ground = Place where football is played

Fan = Person who frequents Football Ground to enjoy football

Singer In Football Ground = Person who shouts his mouth off in a random manner, not caring one little bit who has to hear his views.

Non Singer In Football Ground = Person who frequents football ground to enjoy football and (still) has to accept random strangers shout their mouths off as the way things are.

You see where I'm going with this cant you?

Dunno. Always thought you were SUPPOSED to shout your mouth off at football. Maybe you're in the North Stand? :shrug:

Seagull Stew

Thats not my point though....

You don't own the pub though? The landlord/licensee whomever owns the pub...Why shouldn't it be up to the owner of an establishment whether its non-smoking or smoking? Why do people feel it is correct and right for the government to take this choice away from the owner of the establishment?

Absolutely spot on!

The argument against the smoking ban in pubs is not the fact that it doesn't affect other people's health. It is proven that second hand smoke is detrimental to peoples health.

The point is, that being able to go to your local boozer or head into town and down some shandies on a night out is NOT a right, it is a PRIVILEGE. There has to be someone willing to own that pub in the first place, be it a landlord or establishment. Quite often in country pubs you are being invited into someone's HOUSE!

What right has the Government to ban a person from allowing invited guests to take part in an activity within his or her own four walls, without banning that activity outright.

And I'm a non-smoker!

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Having been abroad for a couple of weeks, tonight will be my first venture into this new smoke free world. My wife smokes so she will have to leave me for most of the evening to go outside for a puff so allowing me extra time to talk about the new barmaids tits with my male friends but also I will be able to sneek in extra vodkas as the evening pans out into a drunken haze.

I see a win win situation from my viewpoint.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Dunno. Always thought you were SUPPOSED to shout your mouth off at football. Maybe you're in the North Stand? :shrug:

Depends how you look at at. Since time began you have been able to smoke in pubs and equally since time began shouting your mouth off at football has been an every match occurance.

The point I'm trying to make (albeit probably not very well!) is that if you enter either of these places you expect certain things. In my eyes stopping smoking in pubs is the same as stopping shouting at football matches.

And not being able to smoke in your work van should you have one is an absolute joke.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How about they have a show of hands? All in favour? Against?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The point I'm trying to make (albeit probably not very well!) is that if you enter either of these places you expect certain things. In my eyes stopping smoking in pubs is the same as stopping shouting at football matches.

Fair point, well made. Dunno, tho, times move on. When I was growing up North of the border, unaccompanied women didn't go into pubs. They just DIDN'T. When I moved down South, you never ever got food in a pub. You just DIDN'T. There'd be three or four rolls under a big persplex DomeTypeThing, and that was your lot. You had to ask what the filling was. The liver sausage filling was always the last one left. Fact.

Now it's all full-on two-for-one menus of a week-day, tabs behind the bar, coffee on demand. Smoking just passed into history as surely as sawdust and spitoons on the floor. Oh well.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
But the ban doesn't just cover pubs, it also includes work places. Up until the ban people could smoke all day at my place of work, now they can't and for me its much more pleasurable to work in a smoke free enviroment

I agree with the type of workplaces which you refer to - 100%...

My sadness about this ban refers specifically to private establishments where people are invited in (ie pubs/clubs) and the landlord/owner has now been told he cannot allow something which I believe it should be his right to choose. You choose to work in a pub or club knowing that people smoke...people always have done!

People seem to think that pubs/clubs are their own domain and not that of the owner.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Likewise, don't like people smoking, don't go to place where people are likely to smoke.

Or just kill yourself.....you don't appear to like much so you'll probably be doing yourself a favour.

Bit strong! anyway so smokers can kick off as they dont like not going into pubs to smoke but its fine for non smokers not going into pub because of smoke???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here