Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smart TVs

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
On the theme of TVs please can someone on here give me some technical advice? I've got a virgin set top box with an HDI cable running from it to the tv. However each time I turn both off and back on again the picture doesn't default to HD, so I to go to 'source' on the remote and scroll down to HDI. Is there a way of saving it so when I turn on it defaults straight to HD?? The make of the tv is 'digihome.' I'm sure it's very simple but I am a technophobe.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
On the theme of TVs please can someone on here give me some technical advice? I've got a virgin set top box with an HDI cable running from it to the tv. However each time I turn both off and back on again the picture doesn't default to HD, so I to go to 'source' on the remote and scroll down to HDI. Is there a way of saving it so when I turn on it defaults straight to HD?? The make of the tv is 'digihome.' I'm sure it's very simple but I am a technophobe.

not familiar with that brand, but with a lot of sets, turning TV off to standby will result in the TV coming back on with the source selection it was set to when it was turned off, powering off completely will result in the TV coming back on with it's default setting, usually digital tuner.
You might find a way to change the default source in the menu but it isn't something I have seen.
Google the manual for your set, open the PDF, press "CTRL" and "F" on your keyboard, a little box should appear bottom left of your PC screen, type in "default source" and it will help you find the places in the text where that phrase occurs, if it occurs.

Ozziemate

May 7, 2013
Does the upscaling of a BluRay from 1080p or Sky HD to 4k resolution make the picture really stand out ? I'm still waiting for the prices to drop a bit further. If only the manufacturers could sort out 4k OLED before 8k comes along.

IMO I can clearly see a difference, I've not played from BlueRay, just from streaming and Sky HD. 4k OLED is on the doorstep already, albeit pricey!!

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
not familiar with that brand, but with a lot of sets, turning TV off to standby will result in the TV coming back on with the source selection it was set to when it was turned off, powering off completely will result in the TV coming back on with it's default setting, usually digital tuner.
You might find a way to change the default source in the menu but it isn't something I have seen.
Google the manual for your set, open the PDF, press "CTRL" and "F" on your keyboard, a little box should appear bottom left of your PC screen, type in "default source" and it will help you find the places in the text where that phrase occurs, if it occurs.

Thanks will try that.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
We have a Samsung and a Sony. I used to be a Samsung fanboy but in all honesty the Sony pisses all over it. Neither are 4K though as the tech is relatively new, there is practically nothing on it and the upscaling is pretty pants on the lower end stuff.
If you want cheap to pass a couple of years get a Samsung, then wait it out until curved 4K screens have dropped.
If you have a little more money get the Sony, I doubt I'll want to upgrade for sometime now myself.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Need to replace our TV and was initially thinking of either a Sony or Samsung 40/42” Smart TV, but a trip to Curry’s has not helped matters given the vast array of TVs out there and features and functions. The guy in the shop was pushing Sony (but may have been biased as said he worked for them), so would appreciate any views from NSC on performance of smart TVs, picture quality, sound Apps etc. Thanks

All the staff circling the TV section of Currys are (as far as I can tell) paid employees of the manufacturers... for genuine, impartial advice, ask at the till. I've bought two TVs from there in the recent past and both times the till staff have been hugely helpful in giving realistic and impartial advice (which completely contradicted that from the floor!).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have a Samsung and I love it. I have always found Sony products to be poor quality / unreliable and surprised people still buy them. Presumably due to advertising?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here