Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smart TVs

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
If the price for a TV you're after is comparable between Currys and Richer Sounds it is worth signing up online with RS to be a VIP member and receive regular e-mails because that will entitle you to a free 5 year guarantee.

I believe that the ' Sales of goods act ' allows for around six years from purchase to claim for faulty electrical goods. So any purchasing of extended warantys is a waste of money and any free extra length deals are covered by the 'sales of goods act ' anyway.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
You can pick up a decent priced samsung smart tv that is 4k ready for less a grand now, picture quality is so good, you actually think you are there.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I believe that the ' Sales of goods act ' allows for around six years from purchase to claim for faulty electrical goods. So any purchasing of extended warantys is a waste of money and any free extra length deals are covered by the 'sales of goods act ' anyway.

The 6 years is covered by the Limitations Act. I believe around 90% of electrical goods if they are going to break down actually break down within the first 12 months anyhow. If a TV breaks down after say 4 years you'll have to prove it was faulty or not fit for purpose with an engineers report otherwise the retailer will counter claim that is fair wear and tear.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Strange question, with a smart TV do you need sky/virgin/ BT etc or can you just use your broadband to watch films etc via the internet ?

Reason I ask is my mate has a flat with no TV aerial no virgin etc but has broadband.

You can surf the Internet via a Smart TV (although by far the best experience is via Apps (found loaded on TV mostly or can be downloaded - Netflix, Amazon, Iplayer etc) so no you don't need Cable tv or SKY TV.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Does the upscaling of a BluRay from 1080p or Sky HD to 4k resolution make the picture really stand out ? I'm still waiting for the prices to drop a bit further. If only the manufacturers could sort out 4k OLED before 8k comes along.

Depends if you are picky or not. Upscaling to a non native resolution is generally rubbish.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I purchased a samsung 8000 series when the first came out, I was and am ery happy with it and would buy samsung again.. My father came over for an F1 race and was so impressed with the picture quality he purchased one on his way home ( at the time he had a 21' CRT!)

Both purchased from richer sounds , personally I would avoid curries.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I went with a 55" Sony for the picture quality. It isn't a smart tv, I wanted to spend on getting better quality TV picture, which it seemed to be to me. But then I paired it with a smart blu-ray player that gave me that functionality (not that I use the smart functions very often).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Depends if you are picky or not. Upscaling to a non native resolution is generally rubbish.

The interpolation algorithms on 4k TVs are supposedly good enough to make regular HD look quite impressive although not the real Ultra HD deal.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
The interpolation algorithms on 4k TVs are supposedly good enough to make regular HD look quite impressive although not the real Ultra HD deal.

Well there are 4K TV's and 4K TV's! I'm guessing the £2k-£3k 4K models would do a better job than the 'cheapies' as per the Groupon model. But again it's in the eye of the beholder. Personally I despise upscaling results.

D

Deleted member 18477

Go for LG or Samsung. Generally get more for your money than with Sony unless you find a good deal. All 3 are clearly great brands though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Smart TV`s

Very satisfied with a Sony 37" and am now going for a second set 32",the size is recommended for the average lounge,due to the trend to have to have the largest TV the smaller sets are very good value for example the Sony 32" Full HD smart TV is only £349.
Hills of Hove in Boundry Road usually match the best price and their customer service is first rate

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Good shout. This lot are doing it for £549 delivered.

image.jpg

http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/offers/samsung-ue40hu6900-40-4k-ultra-hd-led-smart-tv.html

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
White/acrylic surround Is the only requirement. I HATE black glossy surround TV's with a passion, why did anyone think that black works in a living room where less than 1% have black walls etc etc and you could see your reflection on it & smudges also. And people bought them? Madness

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Recently bought a 42" Samsung Smart TV and it is EXCELLENT. Great picture and fast internet access for iplayer, Youtube, Netflix etc. Good VFM too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here