Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Small sections of our away support at FGR

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It’s an age thing, I’m totally offended by some of the things mentioned that happens these days. The “Wilfred Zaha dies” song was heard at Stratford station on Sunday, honestly, it’s the pits.

However I was totally “unbothered” (is there such a word?) by a mob trying to tip some sort of shed over at Elm Park late 80’s, the West Street Firm in the home seats at Cambridge, fights in the ground at Selhurst, or on the tube platform at Wimbledon, the FA Cup at Orient, Southend every time, Ipswich last match of the season, the list from 20/30 years ago is endless really.

Glad to see it is possible for some to grow old and retain a sense of perspective on things. Sadly not a very common trait on NSC seemingly.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
There’s being a dick, and there’s the states I sometimes see. They’re a tedious embarrassment to themselves as much as they are annoying to those nearby. You’d be doing them a favour.

As for the memo, it’s in the T&Cs…search for the word besmirch.

You must be great fun at parties

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Clearly after supporting the club for 50 years and being nearly 60 I’m going to have a different view than many others, but I have to say the behaviour of a small section of our support last night shocked and disappointed me.

Pissed up/Coked up whatever, what enjoyment can you get from constantly singing infantile Albion themed songs, some of which didn’t properly rhyme 😂, constantly swearing, I doubt they even remember the game this morning, let alone the goals.

Maybe it was the surroundings, minimal coppers, limited stewarding, but I can’t recall people being allowed to behave in this manner at the EPL away games Ive attended in the last 5 years?

I think I'm going to the next away EFL cup match............. never mind.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Agreed. Bitter cold at Torquay.

Barnet was the wettest.

If it was Boxing Day 2000 I’d have to agree, well wettest away game, I was stood underneath a constantly dripping drain for 2 hours. Wettest I’ve been at any game has to be the Swindon Play-Off game and the thunderstorms that night, both obviously worth every drop of water.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
In fairness, he’s quoted me, and in a nutshell, I didn’t admit to being a knobhead, I did however admit that some of the things that bother me at away matches now didn’t bother me 1978- 1997ish

Fair enough. My wrong wording. I think his implication is that us oldies are hypocrites. To be honest I didn’t much care for the antisocial behaviour in those days either. Just had to keep my head down so I could enjoy the football and day out. There is a bit of an assumption in some quarters that the latter goes hand in hand with lack of consideration for others.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Every single football club fan base has a selection of idiots. I like to think our club has a lower percentage than a fair few others but that’s probably just own club bias.

It’s also worth a bit of perspective, times change… it was only 15 years ago sections of our fans used to sing ‘get your tits out for the lads’ to gullys girls (most of whom were barely out of school) most of the stuff that goes on in football grounds now is generally harmless to most, if a bit vitriolic and unnecessary… but then we’ve all been caught up in the moment at games and hurled rather unsavoury words at certain players.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Blimey, I must have lived a boring football fan life.
I hardly ever went with anyone else to football, besides a girlfriend, now and again. Didn’t have a drink because I didn’t live near Brighton and was driving, and have never touched ‘ the powder’ in my life and steered clear of any aggro.
When I got home, win, lose or draw,I invariably enjoyed a drink in the pub afterwards and that was that.

Apart from the occasional drink and going with a regular group of mates home and away I too have never touched any drugs (apart from alcohol) and avoided aggro though witnessed lots.

I'm amazed how many on here admit to it if honest.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Kids/ young adults in front of me were very quiet and behaved but they were sucking something out of a plastic container pink/blue in colour it looked like a vape but no smoke ( or whatever comes out of a vape) the three guys were passing it around taking big lung fulls then covering their mouths with their shirts for a few Seconds… I had some words on it hazy Mary or something…

Now I know I’m old but any idea what it was? And why do youngsters want to mess with strange stuff?? Is beer not enough?

https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/disposable-vape/lost-mary/lost-mary-blueberry-sour-raspberry-bm600-disposable-vape

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Now I know I’m old but any idea what it was? And why do youngsters want to mess with strange stuff?? Is beer not enough?

Another oldie, don't start me on what people put in beer! Rasberries and stuff degrading the art of the brewer. However, there is a new Guinness with coffee which is wonderful caffeine and alcohol, what's not to like!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
On a side note, Barnet away around Christmas 1999 (I think) was the coldest I have ever been at a football match.

My late wife came to that game with me, not being a football fan at all, I did feel sorry for her, that was bloody cold

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You must be great fun at parties

I suspect [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]'s contribution would be more companionable than yours :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Amazing what a comfortable middle age period does to the psyche.

Bet many of our elders were saying exactly the same thing back in the early 80’s at Barnet away.

Except no one was coked off their head, as is common amongst youngsters. You could also ask someone to stop swearing constantly without the very audacity of asking didn’t risk being knifed as a consequence. Nope, angry young men are angrier than ever and more common. It’s not just football, but everywhere. It’s off the scale by comparison to eg 30-40-50 years ago. Sorry, but thems the facts. Society spirals ever downwards not upwards these days. Frankly a lot of yoof need a slap. A proper slap. And keep being slapped until they accept they’re not the only ones on the planet and some common manners and courtesy wouldn’t go amiss. They reveal in confrontation when anyone asks them to stop being an utter dickhead seemingly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apart from the occasional drink and going with a regular group of mates home and away I too have never touched any drugs (apart from alcohol) and avoided aggro though witnessed lots.

I'm amazed how many on here admit to it if honest.

Human society has always needed people (men) who quickly slip into tribalism, self-indulgence and violence (whether organized by orderly cellphone txting, or triggered by spotting members of 'other'). In times of war this tendency has been invaluable. Having a laugh and taking a risk is quickly transformed into the disciplined valour of the trained soldier. Or you die.

Unfortunately the same risk-taking imperative doesn't fit well with civilian life, especially as society becomes more ordered and communitarian, with people's leisure time and their pride in possessions and appearance becoming more prominent and important to them, as they become richer, older, safer and, yes, softer.

With that in mind, incoherent gobbing off, threatening demeanour, and coke and drink fuelled 'having a laugh' start to become . . . . irksome, at large.

I remember reading, in the late 80s, the tale of a London lad travelling away to an England match. Little money, nowhere to stay, returning home bruised, stinking of his own piss and vomit, and happy as you like.

Do people seriously hanker for this, today? Even the more sanitized modern parody that began this thread seems out of place and time to me.

ps I remember when coke was a party/sex drug. The idea of taking it and then travelling and watching a football match would have seemed....absurd. I really didn't want to shag any of my pals. And the sound system and quality of music at the football is rubbish :shrug:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Except no one was coked off their head, as is common amongst youngsters. You could also ask someone to stop swearing constantly without the very audacity of asking didn’t risk being knifed as a consequence. Nope, angry young men are angrier than ever and more common. It’s not just football, but everywhere. It’s off the scale by comparison to eg 30-40-50 years ago. Sorry, but thems the facts. Society spirals ever downwards not upwards these days. Frankly a lot of yoof need a slap. A proper slap. And keep being slapped until they accept they’re not the only ones on the planet and some common manners and courtesy wouldn’t go amiss. They reveal in confrontation when anyone asks them to stop being an utter dickhead seemingly.

Find it totally the opposite to be truthful . Most the kids these days seem very melty and soft .

Was a lot tougher back in the day where no weakness could be shown . Nowadays they seem to embrace being weak .

9/10 youth melt when confronted .

Feel sorry for them these days . Bloody awful time to be late teens and 20s

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would conclude that having a feral peasantry is the by-product of having an unaccountable and feral elite.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Agreed. Bitter cold at Torquay.

Barnet was the wettest.

The coldest I can recall was a match up at Oldham in the early ‘70’s.
Went with my girlfriend and bought lovely pies from the market then went into the ground. ‘Proper northern cold it were.’ She lived in Stockport so it wasn’t that far to get home, warm up and enjoy a few pints of Robinsons excellent ale.
Happy days.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Been going away since around 2001 and I’d say our away support is far more timid now than in the 2000’s. Imagine some of that is availability of tickets - a lot of the livelier element struggle now whereas everyone that wanted a ticket use to be able to get one

The main thing I’m aware of now is the difference in the more antisocial elements

In the 2000’s most Albion fans knew who our lads were, if it went off it would always be our firm and organised meets were more common. Thing is lines weren’t crossed often, they supported Albion as much as the rest, they enjoyed a scrap and normally kept their heads down during the game and only got involved if it became lively. Most were also really decent blokes who you’d have a beer and chat with at the far flung away games like Barnsley and Rotherham.

Now it’s just extremely mouthy, antisocial, don’t give a **** about fellow Brighton fans who are far more interested in fake ‘scenes’, giving it to our fellow fans and mouthing off all over before sinking off if it looks like it might kick off..

I’d actually rather see a Brighton associated fan slap another teams fan in an arranged scrap like the 90’s/00’s than these knobs chucking pints over women and kids in the concourse before telling them it’s an ‘away day’ if they complain.

I’ve felt for a while now we’re close to seeing some infighting at an away game when one of older heads gets a pint chucked over his family before a game….

I might be turning into an old git myself but it’s a clear shift in those who are deemed antisocial these days

Good post.

I honestly don’t get the concourse pint throwing, if the silly young idiots want to spend bank of mum and dads money chucking shite lager over each other I wish they would keep clear of others that don’t want to get wet.
I’m surprised a few haven’t been given a slap by one of the older heads, I’ve avoided the beer chuckers as I know I would easily lose my rag with these boys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here