Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slick Owls defeat defensive Seagulls

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Thought you had set up defensively before the injury. Not a criticism, just thought Wednesday played more openly. No abuse please, lads.

A criticism which is slightly undermined by the link from your report to your twitter page where you tip Brighton in the play offs because of their defensive qualities.

However, you look to be fairly young from your picture and I know that young blokes can be fairly short on emotional intelligence. Please take a piece of advice offered in sincerity from someone older. You may not mean to, but you will upset people here. This is because you are offering your opinion where nobody has asked for it at a time when the audience you are talking to is fairly emotionally raw. Walk away from this thread and take it as a lesson that there is a time and a place to try to advertise your attempts at sports journalism. Staying here will not be positive. Come back at a better chosen time and you are far more likely to achieve the outcome you seek.

Gabriel

Apr 12, 2016
Defensively. The team that hit the post after a couple of minutes? That one? Lost two key players before half-time?

Listen son, if you're going to come on to another team's board after one of the most disappointing results in their recent history, a) have something good to say and b) don't squeal about abuse if it isn't good.

I referenced Hemed hitting the post, said you looked dangerous from set plays. Also think it's fair to say you didn't push the midfielders on as much as Wednesday did. No bias against Brighton.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Brighton fans,

Written up some thoughts as a neutral on your 2-0 defeat at Wednesday tonight - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2016/slick-owls-defeat-defensive-seagulls/

Thought you were a bit too cautious though injuries didn't help. Reckon you need Knockaert back to full fitness to have a chance on Monday.

Cheers and good luck in the return leg.

Before you write your next report you may wish to consider that a team playing away from home with two key omissions, three forced substitutions, and ten men with their best player carried off, is not expected to have a game plan that resembles Barcelona on speed.

.... apart from that it's a well structured composition.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No bias against Brighton.
You might not be intentionally biased, but you're not being too smart. We were without Stephens going into the game, and playing away from home we'd have been happy to come back to our place level, so it would be natural to play slightly defensively. But we still looked to score, and could have gone ahead on a couple of occasions. But we got injury after injury, and there was nothing we could do. We had to give a first league start to a player who has never been good enough to get in our team, and then we were down to 10 men.

There was nothing we could do, so suggesting that "Slick Owls defeat defensive Seagulls" is just daft and poor journalism. No one has ever seen a team lose 4 players injured within an hour before, so you'd think that would feature in your headline.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exile usually writes our match reports. Did anyone ask you for yours? Why do you think we'd be interested?

Gabriel

Apr 12, 2016
You might not be intentionally biased, but you're not being too smart. We were without Stephens going into the game, and playing away from home we'd have been happy to come back to our place level, so it would be natural to play slightly defensively. But we still looked to score, and could have gone ahead on a couple of occasions. But we got injury after injury, and there was nothing we could do. We had to give a first league start to a player who has never been good enough to get in our team, and then we were down to 10 men.

There was nothing we could do, so suggesting that "Slick Owls defeat defensive Seagulls" is just daft and poor journalism. No one has ever seen a team lose 4 players injured within an hour before, so you'd think that would feature in your headline.

Can't fit everything into a headline, I mentioned the fact 4 players had been injured in my opening paragraph. Wasn't slating Brighton for being defensive, just an observation.

I referenced Hemed hitting the post, said you looked dangerous from set plays. Also think it's fair to say you didn't push the midfielders on as much as Wednesday did. No bias against Brighton.

Don't worry about the pile on, this place has been mental since the Boro sending off. I agree we let SW dictate the play too much in the first half hour before the injuries. Our main attacking force Knocky was too quiet and Sidwell is no replacement for Stephens. Without the injuries we might have ground out a draw but equally we might still have lost given how poorly we started. We actually almost got away with a 1-0 defeat which would have been a triumph under the circumstances but for a terrible mistake by Bruno.

The boot will be on the other foot at the Amex though, we will chuck the kitchen sink at them and we still have attacking threats like LuaLua and Murphy to give SW a scare or two. Score first and then we can see what SW are made of.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brighton fans,

Written up some thoughts as a neutral on your 2-0 defeat at Wednesday tonight - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2016/slick-owls-defeat-defensive-seagulls/

Thought you were a bit too cautious though injuries didn't help. Reckon you need Knockaert back to full fitness to have a chance on Monday.

Cheers and good luck in the return leg.

Thanks Gabriel, that was a good read.

Take no notice of the ill mannered reply. This board has gone into a precious bitching meltdown of late and differing opinions are frightening things.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can't fit everything into a headline, I mentioned the fact 4 players had been injured in my opening paragraph.
It shouldn't surprise you that I didn't get as far as your first paragraph, and your headline should include the most significant bit. It doesn't take much space to write 'injury decimated Seagulls' does it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
stick with it in a few years the f.a will probably have it's own press department which will provide match reports for league football , all contentious decisions will remain unmentioned and praise will be heaped upon the team that finishes with the cleanest socks....you are nailed on for a job i would have thought...:thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wednesday started off playing possession football and this was a sensible tactic against the Albion. Early on Albion had to be careful not to chase shadows. But the best form of Wednesday attack was a lump forward from Westwood. Not worried about the Wednesday play as they were not creating any chances only long shots which was expected (and should have been dealt with the goal out of the blue at a time when Brighton evened up the game) and Albion had 54% possession and greater passing accuracy in the first half. And Baldocks saved shot and Hemed's header were countered by the disallowed goal and the shot tipped around the post by Stockdale.

Then the injuries really disrupted the game and spoilt any plans, leading to tactical choices being reduced and then down to ten men.

Despite this over the whole matches Wednesday had 16 shots of which 13 were from outside the box. Brighton had a mere 7 shots but 6 were from in the penalty area, most of the not vey good though. Bringing the big men on for Wednesday had a rather limited effectivenessand I thought we might escape with 1-0 until Lee scored a good goal with a bit of skill.

I would not call it slick from Wednesday but they did up the pace of the game which may have contributed to he Albion injuries as we did not have the recovery time from the last game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, Forestieri's goal should have stood as you can't be offside from a goal kick, or is it that the amateur jouno doesn't know the difference between a goal kick and a clearance by the keeper!!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thought you had set up defensively before the injury. Not a criticism, just thought Wednesday played more openly. No abuse please, lads.

Sticking 'No abuse please' at the end of a post is bleating, a pathetically poor attempt to deflect the deserved derision the rest of your posts merits.

Go and bleat somewhere else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here