Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports vs BT Sport

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bin them both and get use KODI.

I was with sky for years. The cost started becoming ridiculous for the package I wanted so decided to switch to BT as I never watched a lot of the sky channels such as sky1, Atlantic etc

We decided to switch to BT as they gave us a brilliant offer including the Infinity broadband and sports for a very good monthly price and used the inlaws sky go for the footie, cricket, F1 etc.

Then (from here) a few years ago I learned about streaming Brighton games and quickly realised that virtually any high profile game is available online.

Started with Acestream and now on Kodi.

If your broadband is good, at least a 25mb fibre for eg. Then go for Kodi. The streams are pretty good quality and if you have the right add ons most are in HD. I always sit down and watch a Saturday 3pm game if I'm indoors.

As soon as my BT TV contract expires I'm downgrading to a freeview box but upping my broadband connection to make proper use of Kodi. In my eyes there isn't a better system, within reason you can watch any TV channel in the world whenever you want.

I love it.

On payday I'm buying an amazon firestick to play kodi instead of plugging my laptop into the TV and having leads everywhere all the time

I think it would be worth pointing out that it isn't legal for those of a straighter nature. Kodi isn't illegal in itself, but given its just a good bit of software that organises live streams, those live streams that require a subscription you are infringing the copyright. Not an issue for you, but will be for some.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We ditched Virgin TV in November and now have Netflix, Amazon, and Boxnation on subscription, Freeview Play with Chromecast and Now TV for the odd one off purchases. Not much sport, other than boxing, but otherwise tons of choice for a much lower monthly outlay.

We ditched Virgin, including BT Sport, last year, saving c. £50 per month. OK, we miss out on the odd PL classic live, but gladly swerve the mundane rest and avoid the tedious hype about 'Super Sunday' etc etc. I wasn't actually watching most games to justify their exponential sports package price rises.

Soon after, signed up for Netflix (via the Virgin box). For a tiny price, we get a wide array of films and TV series. Great value.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is Now TV not a more viable option to going back to a full blown Sky package? Been using some Now TV offer passes for the movies, and a real alternative to their full package.

Seems like a no brainer for most, excellent streaming quality and £10 per week, they have woken up to the fact pirate streams are costing them

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Its a constantly shifting picture, further cases from that ruling continue to make it at best a grey area. http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/10/eus-highest-court-asked-to-rule-on-whether-streamed-pirated-films-are-legal/ I'm not being critical (I watch them!), but viewing films, and subscription content for free, somewhere along the line, whether it is the streamer rather than the stream viewer, it isn't entirely legal. Anyway, be honest, the streams aren't always consistent or reliable are they - does save a huge amount though! Just out of interest, do you use it through a VPN or not? Something that has worried me about it to be honest.

Last edited:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Its a constantly shifting picture, further cases from that ruling continue to make it at best a grey area. http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/10/eus-highest-court-asked-to-rule-on-whether-streamed-pirated-films-are-legal/ I'm not being critical (I watch them!), but viewing films, and subscription content for free, somewhere along the line, whether it is the streamer rather than the stream viewer, it isn't entirely legal. Anyway, be honest, the streams aren't always consistent or reliable are they - does save a huge amount though!

I do agree to an extent. Whilst it isn't legal, it certainly isn't illegal at the moment.

I'm happy to risk taking the chance to use it. It's saving me a massive wedge of money and I've generally found the streams I've chosen to be more reliable than not. Certainly a massive improvement on the likes of cricfree etc.

That's,why I'm going to upgrade my broadband to the full proper 70mb fibre. Sometimes my stream goes a bit glitchy but a stop and refresh cures it. I think it's down to my speed more than anything else.

I just find it frustrating that I have friends residing in foreign lands and they can watch any game they want. Whereas I live 50 bloody miles away and not allowed to! Why can they get a match choice in Australia for 3pm kick off when we don't get any?

I'm a Brighton fan but also a fan of football and will watch any domestic game if it's on TV and I'm at home. This is just broadening my viewing as far as I'm concerned.

Generally in the evenings we sit and watch old repeats of Qi, Mock the Week, HIGNFY etc to wind down of an evening, the BT youview box is a good piece of kit and good for iplayer, 4od, itv player etc.

I pay £35 a month for the landlines, 25mb unlimited Infinity, the large TV package that includes the discovery and Nat geo channels and comedy central etc and BT sport HD so that in itself is a good deal.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Have always been on Virgin media but we are moving shortly to an area that Virgin doesn't cover.

I am fearing it.

So should I go sky or BT for the tv/internet package?

I've been on sky, virgin and at the moment BT view a youview box.

My opinion is that Sky has better channels and better quality HD channels. However this is counteracted by a shockingly bad internet and the comparative high cost.

Virgin has the best quality SD channels and the best on demand service, however despite its claims that it has the highest internet speeds, this element has been poor and is one of the reasons why we moved away. Constant throttling of speeds and outages were frustrating, plus their wi-Fi signal clashes with those used by a lot of mobiles and so this was impacting on the quality of streams and browsing.

As for BT it's cheap and the SD picture quality is shite - really shite because it runs through an aerial. However that's counteracted by the picture on HD and ultra HD. However where BT wins it is their internet which has no wifi conflicts and has never been throttled and it's because of this, it comes out on top.

We have a Netflix subscription and we use Now TV when needed. Also re the Internet, it's based on having 3 ps4s connected to games services and around 7 wifi devices during peak times being connected, along with Spotify.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I've been on sky, virgin and at the moment BT view a youview box.

My opinion is that Sky has better channels and better quality HD channels. However this is counteracted by a shockingly bad internet and the comparative high cost.

Virgin has the best quality SD channels and the best on demand service, however despite its claims that it has the highest internet speeds, this element has been poor and is one of the reasons why we moved away. Constant throttling of speeds and outages were frustrating, plus their wi-Fi signal clashes with those used by a lot of mobiles and so this was impacting on the quality of streams and browsing.

As for BT it's cheap and the SD picture quality is shite - really shite because it runs through an aerial. However that's counteracted by the picture on HD and ultra HD. However where BT wins it is their internet which has no wifi conflicts and has never been throttled and it's because of this, it comes out on top.

We have a Netflix subscription and we use Now TV when needed. Also re the Internet, it's based on having 3 ps4s connected to games services and around 7 wifi devices during peak times being connected, along with Spotify.

Noting that you are also living in Mile Oak I would just add that about 6 months ago Sky Fibre became available for me and I went from a miserable 3.5mb to a rock solid 37.5mb for £10 a month and its never dropped below 35mb every time I've checked. I could get double that for £20 a month but its ample for what I need.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I have both. Get BT Sport with the phone line. I find myself watching Sky Sports a lot more so for that reason I would say Sky. But yes, it's still a rip off. But that's Britain unfortunately.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Am seriously thinking of ditching sky and downgrading my virgin package. This thread is giving me plenty of ammunition to make the change. I've got NFL Gamepass and may consider ESPN player for college ball later in the year. Now TV is really good value too and is available as an app on apple tv.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I do agree to an extent. Whilst it isn't legal, it certainly isn't illegal at the moment.

I'm happy to risk taking the chance to use it. It's saving me a massive wedge of money and I've generally found the streams I've chosen to be more reliable than not. Certainly a massive improvement on the likes of cricfree etc.

That's,why I'm going to upgrade my broadband to the full proper 70mb fibre. Sometimes my stream goes a bit glitchy but a stop and refresh cures it. I think it's down to my speed more than anything else.

I just find it frustrating that I have friends residing in foreign lands and they can watch any game they want. Whereas I live 50 bloody miles away and not allowed to! Why can they get a match choice in Australia for 3pm kick off when we don't get any?

I'm a Brighton fan but also a fan of football and will watch any domestic game if it's on TV and I'm at home. This is just broadening my viewing as far as I'm concerned.

Generally in the evenings we sit and watch old repeats of Qi, Mock the Week, HIGNFY etc to wind down of an evening, the BT youview box is a good piece of kit and good for iplayer, 4od, itv player etc.

I pay £35 a month for the landlines, 25mb unlimited Infinity, the large TV package that includes the discovery and Nat geo channels and comedy central etc and BT sport HD so that in itself is a good deal.

Firstly I also use Kodi through an M8 Andriod box, having cancelled Sky Sports and reducing my packeage down to just Sky TV for £6 a month to have the recording / catch up feature and took out up to 70mb Virgin broadband for £20 a month.

Absolutly love it. Any football / films / tv shows you want for £26 a month (sky box & broadband) and the quality is great 90% of the time. Certianly for games on BT sport / Sky.

However the reason 3pm games are not broadcast live in the UK is to maintain the ability of clubs to receive ticket income. If they started broadcasting all games, the number of fans at games would quickly dwindle, the atmosphere along with it and support for the club would decrease.

People in Australia are hardly going to affect this so it makes sense to distribute the match out around the world for additional income for the clubs.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not sure how unique we are in this, but when we spoke to BT they assured us our post code returned the best signal etc, when we went on the BT signal search, it said the same, its not BTs fault, but the Woodland behind / above us really does knacker the signal and affects the reception to a major extent, but as I say it's hardly their fault...........having had Sky and hating it for its cost etc, in our opinion, it does provide the best for us.

I had same problem. I discovered that the BT box is only active for the premium channels and stuff like iplayer ... all the freeview channels come down your aerial, hence why you have the aerial plugged in.

Simple solution, get yourself a Freesat box http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-is-freesat which will connect to your old Sky dish so no need for an aerial at all, then get yourself a kodi box to watch movies, box sets and all the sport you need and all for free. Variable pic on sports but saving £1K a year or whatever it's definitely worth it

I'm on Virgin. I subscribe to Sky Sports only when there is an offer on. I recently got 3 months Sports and Movies for half price. It's then a deal.

However, I get a decent bunch of live games free with BT via Virgin. If there is a game I really want to watch and I can't be arsed with the pub and there isn't an offer on, then I will buy a daily or weekly pass with NOW TV. I know I also have to pay £6.99 for a month, but it's a good chance to explore some other content I don't get, like Sky Atlantic.

I think it's crazy that Sky want to charge extra for HD. Out of interest, on Virgin, is this full HD or the old 720?

As a comparison, BT TV now transmit their games (some not all) in 4k.

Anyone who simply signs up for Sky Sports and pays month in month out is either Mad, has sport dominating their lives or has too much money.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
People need to consider the longer term with regards to BT. Initially, they offered BT Sport to all broadband customers for free. When they acquired the European rights, they started to charge £5.99 a month unless you extended your broadband contract with them in which case it was free. It's quite simply unsustainable to buy up more rights and not charge more. Eventually, it will get to a point whereby the cost will increase to a less reasonable point.

I used to have BT and paid £55 for phone TV and Broadband plus Sky Sports. This was the basic TV package No movies, no music channels etc etc. The BT box and EPG system are massively unreliable. It used to reboot itself on a weekly basis for no reason. As did the replacement. It turns out that it is a known bug that they can't fix and will cancel contracts within the first year because of it. I went to Norsat and now pay about £50 a month for everything Sky do on a 12 month contract.

Beware BT TV services.........

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Is Now TV not a more viable option to going back to a full blown Sky package? Been using some Now TV offer passes for the movies, and a real alternative to their full package.

I tried a Now TV option for our game recently. It didn't go through on my debit card I then had a phone call from Natwest to say I was being defrauded as someone was trying to purchase Now TV on my card..."yes" I said..."it's me". "Oh" says Indian man in Delhi. "Well, we have cancelled your Visa card.. A new one will be with you in a week" great. Bloody great.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I tried a Now TV option for our game recently. It didn't go through on my debit card I then had a phone call from Natwest to say I was being defrauded as someone was trying to purchase Now TV on my card..."yes" I said..."it's me". "Oh" says Indian man in Delhi. "Well, we have cancelled your Visa card.. A new one will be with you in a week" great. Bloody great.

That is NatWest, idiots at times. They did that to me before a couple of times, I moved bank in the end.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Most BT games are on when proper football fans are at or travelling to games themselves. As someone with little interest in the PL or Rugby, I'm out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here