Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sky sports: Villa interested in Biss

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's not about him being happy. It's sensible give yourself a good bargaining position by not signing a new deal.

On the other hand i'm not ruling it out. Just like White did, he might feel confident enough in his ability to attract bids and that will sell for a sensible price to sign a deal this week. It's not the most likely scenario, but far from impossible.

But Ben White did the right thing - he took a new deal for a big pay rise, played a season, got another move.

Bissouma could have / should have done that last summer in my view.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, Yes. I get the money.

But he'll get that at any club that bids £50m for him.

Why go to Newcastle who are in danger of being relegated, when he can wait for a Champions League club to come along and play at a higher level.

Exactly.

"Yves, you can earn over 100K a week playing Barcelona and Bayren or you can earn it playing Birmingham".

Hmmm.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Why go to Newcastle who are in danger of being relegated, when he can wait for a Champions League club to come along and play at a higher level.

Sure. I'm not saying he is interested in Newcastle, but I don't think it's difficult to build a case as to why he may be.

And, unlike us he will, via his agent, have a pretty good idea what Champions League calibre clubs could be interested, and that would influence any likely offer he is willing to accept.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

True, but if they sign the players they are chasing in THIS window I don't see them going down. The rest is how they sell the 'vision' and I bet they can easily sell a dramatic rise to the top, given they have effectively limitless money.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Exactly.

"Yves, you can earn over 100K a week playing Barcelona and Bayren or you can earn it playing Birmingham".

Hmmm.

There is no evidence or paper talk either now or in the summer that any CL club is seriously interested though.

And, unlike us he will, via his agent, have a pretty good idea what Champions League calibre clubs could be interested, and that would influence any likely offer he is willing to accept.

Exactly …

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
£25m? What a f***ing insult. Who do they think they are, Leeds?

Yes, £25M, if true, was a poor offer - I really hope that the bid as greeted with derisive laughter!

However, I do think we are over-estimating the price we'll get for Biss. Sure, clubs like Real, United, Citeh, Barcelona, Juve, PSG, Chelsea, Bayern, Arsenal and maybe one or two others, like there's already a European Super League in terms of transfers! Of course there are exceptions (as I'm sure somebody will be at pains to point out) - but exceptions are there to prove the rule.

Getting £50M for Ben White was an important break-through for us - it has shown that we can charge decent fees for our players. and we're no longer a club that's going to be grateful for a few million quid. White's case was exceptional though - he was high profile, Arteta desperately wanted him, and most importantly there was a huge amount of 'noise' around his transfer - thanks in no small way to Leeds fans, Leeds storming the Championship with White as a star player, the Free Ben White campaign and all that. Those factors all helped to put the price up (thank you WACCOE!)

However, we're not in the £70/£80/£100M+ transfer club yet. I think £40M - maybe a little less - would be what we can get for Biss. That is, of course, if he doesn't decide to run down his contract in anticipation of getting a muti-million pound signing on fee from a new club in 2023

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Unfortunately the Saudi’s will stay up, I said this all along. They’re simply buying their way mid season out of trouble.

But I agree with you.

Biss at Citeh, LFC, ManU or Chelsea, earning fantastic money and instantly with better players than the medium term Saudis ‘project’ makes more sense for the 25 year old.

If he goes there, wages would be THE motivation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, £25M, if true, was a poor offer - I really hope that the bid as greeted with derisive laughter!

However, I do think we are over-estimating the price we'll het for Biss. Sure, clubs like Real, Unnited, Citeh, Barcelona, Juve P,SG, Chelsea, Bayern, Arsenal and maybe one or two others do ay £70.£80, even £100 million for players- but 90% of the time these transfers are between these big clubs. Almost a closed shop - loke there's already a European Super League in terms of transfers! Of course there are exceptions (as I'm sure somebody will be at pains to point out) - but exceptions are there to prove the rule.

Getting £50M for Ben White was an imprtant break-through for us - it has shown that we can charge decent fees for our players. and we're no longer a club that's going to be grateful for a few million quid. White's case was exceptional though - he was high profile, Arteta desperately wanted him, and most importantly there was a huge amount of 'noise' around his transfer - thanks in no small way to Leeds fansm Leeds storming the Championship with White as a star player, the Free Ben White campaign and all that. Those factors all helped to put the price up (thank you WACCOE!)

However, we're not in the £70/£80/£100M+ teansfer club yet. I think £40M - maybe a little less - would be what we can get for Biss. That is, of course, if he doesn't decide to run down his contract in anticipation of getting a muti-million pound signing on fee from a new club in 2023

….unless it’s Newcastle. They are going to get absolutely rinsed by anyone selling players to them (but won’t care).

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Sure. I'm not saying he is interested in Newcastle, but I don't think it's difficult to build a case as to why he may be.

It’s also very notable that despite many people labelling NUFC as a Championship club in waiting, I (sadly) can now see them surviving this season in the PL. Whether fans at other clubs like it or not, NUFC look a much stronger team than they did pre-Christmas and both Burnley (too many games, too small a squad) and Watford (freefall and too late for Hodgson) look doomed.

I’d say NUFC’s chances of PL footy next season, once new signings have settled, are more like 75%.

And that would be a big consideration for Bissouma. NUFC a could be a top 10 PL team next season…

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'd be amazed if they weren't keeping a very close eye on the situation.

I think that one of the dynamics going on is that there are a relatively high number of midfielders in the £50m upwards category, (including all of England's best 3 young CM's, but others as well) who conceivably will transfer to another club within the next season or two. I think the likes of Chlesea or Man U might not bid for a Bissouma this window in the hope of still getting a Bellingham, Rice or Phillips in the summer.

Rice and Bellingham would cost more like 100 million.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’d say NUFC’s chances of PL footy next season, once new signings have settled, are more like 75%.

They're currently around 6/4 to be relegated with the bookies, giving an implied probability of 60% chance of survival / 40% chance of relegation.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Exactly.

Hmmm.

Tut Tut Tut - I live in Birmingham now and love it . My commute to my office in London door to door is about 1hr 30 mins ( although I only go to the offices 2 days per month ) - It was 45 minutes when I lived in London and I have a fab city centre apartment so not paying for taxis to get home or London House prices.

Nowt wrong with Birmingham and I am one of the few who really likes the Brummie Accent :) - He won't get greeted with ''Yaw Awreet Babb'' in Barcelona and Munich :) - Although I do take your point. Both those other cities are nice cities

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It feels somewhat surreal for the second time in 6 months to be left thinking:-

'yeah let him go, £50m and doesn't even need replacing - perfect'.

(Always said that about White - never thought I'd say that about Biss)

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
They're currently around 6/4 to be relegated with the bookies, giving an implied probability of 60% chance of survival / 40% chance of relegation.

As is stands I see it being Burney, Watford and one from NUFC, Norwich and Everton. However, I’d say NUFC look the strongest of those three and although they’ve only had one recent win, they are in a better position to build momentum.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bissouma, Lingard and Dele Alli would represent quite an upgrade on their existing midfield...

Lingard & Alli could potentially get a lot of goals if Biss is doing their running, tackling and intercepting in midfield. Both have been prolific in the EPL at various points in their careers.

I think they’d stay up if they signed Biss.

However, I hope he and his agent have the foresight to look beyond the big bucks and envisage him playing for one of the world’s top six clubs rather than the world’s richest club.

Whatever the case, I can’t see him signing a new contract any time soon, he surely must have an unsigned extension offer on the table that has been there for a few years now?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It’s also very notable that despite many people labelling NUFC as a Championship club in waiting, I (sadly) can now see them surviving this season in the PL. Whether fans at other clubs like it or not, NUFC look a much stronger team than they did pre-Christmas and both Burnley (too many games, too small a squad) and Watford (freefall and too late for Hodgson) look doomed.

And that would be a big consideration for Bissouma. NUFC a could be a top 10 PL team next season…

Hmm ... Norwich seem to have hit a bit of form so they could rally too. But even if Newcastle did survive, there's no guarantee they'd be a top 10 club. Look at the money that Everton have spaffed in the last few years and they're only just above the relegation zone.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rice and Bellingham would cost more like 100 million.

Rice is better than Bissouma but also has a longer deal. But if you’re an an elite club you’d look at the player / quality not the price tag

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tut Tut Tut - I live in Birmingham now and love it . My commute to my office in London door to door is about 1hr 30 mins ( although I only go to the offices 2 days per month ) - It was 45 minutes when I lived in London and I have a fab city centre apartment so not paying for taxis to get home or London House prices.

Nowt wrong with Birmingham and I am one of the few who really likes the Brummie Accent :) - He won't get greeted with ''Yaw Awreet Babb'' in Barcelona and Munich :) - Although I do take your point. Both those other cities are nice cities

You've misunderstood me. I meant playing AGAINST Barca or Birmingham, i.e. in the Champions League or in the Championship for Newcastle.

I agree 100% with you on Birmingham as a city. I used to have clients based in Colmore Circus and was up there one or two days a week most weeks and Edgbaston cricket was a semi-regular lads trip Lots of good pubs, Balti triangle (and the Indian Brewery) and the market at Christmas. Really enjoyed it.

Made sure I took Junior GB to Villa this season, nice easy trip from London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here